The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My kitties are messy in the litter box..

My cats seem to love making a mess around the litterbox. They're almost 2 years old and brothers (I assume). They were dumped in my driveway at 2-3 weeks old.

They were super easy to litterbox train immediately. After about 5 months, they were neutered and put outside to be barn cats. They had a kitty door to the feed room where they had a litter box as well. They've never had accidents, even when they were brought into the house for injuries and treatment (hurt eye, neck wound).

Broke up with my ex SO and I moved them to my parents house with me. At first, they were barn cats here and adjusted just fine. Within the past 2 months, they've moved into the basement with me. They come inside at dinner (5pm) and go outside after breakfast (7am).

In the past few weeks, they've decided it's HILARIOUS to make a mess of the bathroom where their litterbox is. I swear they must be scooping paw fulls of litter out on the floor every night. This is the same litterbox they've always used. I always have deep, clean litter in it. (It is cleaned daily). They do it whether it had brand new litter or not. I put a towel underneath, then added a mat that's supposed to collect the litter. They still throw it!

What gives?? I love my cats but goodness, I'm sick of cleaning everything all the time. The bathroom is small and I really have no other easy place to put a litter box.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I use a huge storage tub as a communal litterbox-I cut an access hole in the side up high and leave the top off with a step over hang (gads cats) and they can throw their litter to their heart's content... it can't fall out. Might work for you... get the biggest deepest one you can. I can hear ours in there just throwing litter everywhere but the deep tub holds it. Litter Drama!

Yep. I also use large, deep storage containers. Works great for the litter tossing issue, and also for the "pee over the edge" issue.

Oh that's a super idea!! Ill have to see if it'll fit in the bathroom. Though I guess if there's no mess, I can put it in the general living area! Thanks
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

My kitty does the exact same thing - I have a covered litter box now and he STILL manages to get litter all over the floor surrounding his box (although much less when he had a traditional box)!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Sounds counter intuitive but try not "bedding" the litter box so deeply. I had a similar problem with my cats and my vet told me that most cats prefer an inch or two of litter over 3-4 + inches. I didn't believe it but I was desperate at the time (same reason as yours - small bathroom!) Anyway, I tried it and the problem was resolved over night.

Go figure. I hope you have the same luck I did... Cleaning up that litter is not that much fun; it goes everywhere!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

My most recent cats always kept their pee in the box, but they were both (a male and a female) very enthusiastic about covering their poops with litter and scattered litter everywhere. I kept one of those "Shark" type, lightweight and rechargeable, vacuum things in the room where their box was, so I could easily pickup the litter mess.

And, yeah, being a little lighter on the litter helps too (and saves money over the long run!).

We just got a box with a lip on it, this one specifically: http://www.petco.com/product/103817/...es_LitterBoxes
    My intact male that thinks it's his duty to fling litter as far as it will go hasn't been able to do so with it. It's also much nicer and easier for me to clean out (bad back).