The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle fit help please?

I've had my new mare for about a week now and am trying to determine if my Crosby PDN is an ok fit for her. I think it's a bit wide, but I'd love to hear some of you experts chime in. There is about an inch of wither clearance.

If it doesn't fit, what would you suggest for her? I'd be looking used and under 2K.

Side view

Side view with saddle

Saddle from back

Sweat marks after ride - left

Sweat marks after ride - right, second pic
    Last edited by Belair; Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: fixed link

Are my pictures that bad?

It looks pretty good to me.

Your pictures are so close up that it's hard to evaluate the fit of the saddle.

At first glance my guess is that you've placed the saddle pretty far up on her shoulder but the saddle looks pretty balanced on her back.

You don't need to have 3 fingers clearance, you just need to have clearance.

In a case where the saddle balance overall is good but it just sits a bit low overall, a good pad can fix the problem.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks. I appreciate the input.

The sweat marks on both sides seem to indicate that the saddle bridges. When you run your hands between her back and the panels, do you feel even pressure or a gap in the middle?

Also, the photo from the back seems to show that the saddle is more A-shaped than the horse is, thus concentrating the weight of the rider on the outside edge of the panel.

Keep in mind when assessing the clearance of the saddle that when you sit in it, it will sink. Assess the clearance with your weight in the saddle, and also on the sides of the gullet with the horse walking on a curve.

A custom saddle within your budget would be the Kent and Masters. See if you can find a saddle fitter that sells them.

Thanks Meupatdoes, I was thinking that might be happening, but I wasn't sure. The day before, the dry spots were more prominent, but I didn't have my phone with me to take the pictures then.

For ebay and classifieds searching though, what types/brands might have the type of tree that would be a better fit? I also need a saddle with a long/forward flap, which makes the search a bit more difficult. 5'6" with long legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Belair View Post
    Thanks Meupatdoes, I was thinking that might be happening, but I wasn't sure. The day before, the dry spots were more prominent, but I didn't have my phone with me to take the pictures then.

For ebay and classifieds searching though, what types/brands might have the type of tree that would be a better fit? I also need a saddle with a long/forward flap, which makes the search a bit more difficult. 5'6" with long legs.
    Honestly I would pretty much rather eat glass than do the whole ebay/used/having things shipped on trial thing anymore.

I call my saddle fitter, make an appointment, and wait for her to drive down the driveway. She has several used options on her truck, as well as a range of new saddles that can be custom ordered anywhere from $950 to $4,500.

Find one of those and spare yourself the hassle. As I mentioned, the Kent and Masters is an economical line, so if you can find a rep for those you can probably find a reasonably priced fitter (who will likely sell other reasonably priced lines and used saddles as well) in the process.

I don't think it's fair to evaluate the sweat marks because you are placing the saddle too far up the wither. Move it behind the shoulder and try again?

Gumshoe is right. You need to locate the back of the scapular, then place the saddle so that the front of the tree points are approximately 2-3 fingers width behind the point of the scapular. My guess would be that the channel of this saddle will be too narrow and fit too tight at the top of the tree points. Those older Crosbys don't fit many horses well.

Ok I'll try to do so this evening and will post some better pictures. Thank you.