The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default horse that wont drink with muzzle on.

Has anyone ever had a horse that wont drink with its muzzle on and if so, what did you do? If the horse comes in for several hours and has access to water without the muzzle on, is that enough time to drink enough to last until the next day, assuming that, if ridden, will have a chance to drink then too, later in the day? Horse is a piggy and will have to wear the muzzle soon until fall.

If you happened to read my other posts, my horse is having a hard time drinking from the creek without the muzzle and im pretty sure will have zero interest in the creek with the muzzle on because its very shallow unless she slogs out some and she is extremely anti-mud. I have asked to put out my own bucket but the answer was no.
    Last edited by ActNatural; Mar. 30, 2013 at 07:07 PM.

If you find out, I'm eager to know.
    I have a gelding that I was muzzling and he was freaked by anything coming through the hole; grass, treats, water, anything. I tried to desensitize him to no avail. He's a very food motivated horse and not generally quirky or sensitive, so it was baffling.
    We tried several days of "tough love" thinking that he'd "get over it" or "get used to it", and eat/drink/whatever, and he never did. He'd come in from all day turnout and drain two buckets. Obviously this is not a good situation, so we gave up and put him in dry lot.
    If I had to do it again I would get a couple of cheap muzzles and cut the holes to larger sizes and try to slowly shrink the hole size down and see if he could get used to it that way.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

On rule, horses must have access to water at least every 3 hours.

right SCMSL. And in the back of my mind, Im thinking this isnt a good situation. Others have said "Oh, its no big deal if she comes in and can drink for a few hours" but I just have this sinking feeling that Im asking for trouble.

I read your other post about the creek issue...if the BO refuses to let you provide a bucket on your own, I would be finding another barn. Not all horses will drink out of a creek (mine included, and she isn't afraid of mud/water/etc, she just prefers water out of a trough) and you're barking up the colic tree if you think just leaving her to figure it out will work...especially if you now have the muzzle working against you as well.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Yeah....I know. I really thought a bucket wouldnt be a problem, considering Id buy it, clean it, keep it filled, but they said no because of mosquitos and because every other horse on the farm drinks from the creek just fine. I really like this place otherwise. I was planning to move towards next winter because the vet recommends 24/7 turnout and they stall a lot in the winter but I guess its going to be sooner than later.

So, I'm moving my horse in two weeks. Thats as soon as I can bring her to the new farm. The problem is that she still doesn't drink from the creek. They get turned out at 8 am and from on, she doesn't drink until about 5:30, when I get out. Then, at 7pm the horses come in and she has water in her stall until they go back out the next morning. So, while not ideal, 9.5 hours isn't terrible but I'm going away for a week starting Monday and the weather all of the sudden has decided it wants to warm up. So, she without me coming out, she will go about 12 hours without water and if the BO decides to change the turnout from day to night now that its warming up, she will be without water about 16 hours. I'm really upset. The BO will not let me put out a bucket. Guys, this is unreal to me because every other thing about this place is great! I really hate to leave. The BO thinks she will be fine only drinking when she comes in. She says some horses never drink outside and some never drink inside. I'm so frustrated because my horse WOULD drink outside from a bucket.

So, I'm going to ask my friend at the barn to help me out and offer her water every day when she goes out. I'm still going to worry about her. So much for a relaxing vacation!!!!

I have horses that go out in the back 40 acres for ~8 solid hours, and come trotting back at night to get a drink and look for goodies/hay. They have the option of coming back to get a drink of fresh water whenever they want, but they choose to stay out grazing. So it isn't unheard of for horses to go all day without water. Would I ever leave them without the option? No, but they can make it just fine without water every three hours.

I had a mare boarded at my barn for a while that chose a water (The one in her stall) and would just not drink from anything else. She was turned out with buckets, tubs, and an automatic waterer and I never can remember her drinking from them. She would drink at night when she went in her stall and there were signs that she had gotten a drink not long before I turned her out.

Just my story and two cents, hopefully this will put your mind at ease a tiny bit.