The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mens Boots

Where does a guy go to find dress boots? I'm hesitant to go custom (school has me in debt enough as it is), the google machine isn't turning up any stock boots for men. Im all ready a pretty odd size, and If i want to do any showing past 1st level (which I plan to this year), It looks like I need dress boots.
    Any advice?

Thanks

1 members found this post helpful.

You can get Petries for semi-reasonable prices if you order from Europe. I think Calevo has them and there's some woman who specializes in selling them via Ebay, but I can't remember her name.

1 members found this post helpful.

hmmmmm Ill have to look into that. That'd make my day if you remembered her name.

Thanks

kittybee is the seller on ebay.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I think inne is referring to kittybee on ebay - seen a lot of very positive reviews re: ordering from her and am planning to do so myself this year.

Good luck

Thank you thank you thank you. Also Dressage Stars seems to have petries in my size. I will email them and double check though.

Yes, that's her!

If you can get off the shelf Petries in your size go for it. I'm an odd size as well (and a guy too), and not one single boot maker makes off the shelf boots in my size (tall and super skinny calves). I can only go full custom for boots. Very expensive when you tend to go through a pair every year or two.

Yup, that's my experience with it. Right now, Im going through about a pair of paddock boots, and a pair of (could pass for nice boots) chaps a year.

This seller has men's boots in various styles for ~ 230$
    http://stores.ebay.com/eHimalayas

I have not purchased from them, but intend to buy a pair of their brown boots when I next have the $. I saw the polo boots on someone at a tackswap (how I found the site in the first place) & she said they are decently made. Maybe others can weigh in

Boy, you guys are TOUGH on dress boots!!!

My tall, dress boots were made by a "mom and pop" bootmaker in Abluquerque, NM about 12 years ago. They are French Calf and look almost as good as the day I bought them. I don't wear them except for dress. They were about half of what an off-the-shelf item would have cost. If you are in the Southwest this might something to check out.

For daily wear I've got a pair of Ariats that have done quite well, along with some Ariat half chaps. They get worn a couple of times a week in East TN so they are intimately familiar with mud. I also have a pair of Dehner Field Boots (the three strap "Patton Boots") that get worn once or twice a week. They are now 8 years old but still look good. Last, but not least, is a pair of Dehner paddock boots and putees that I wear less but still get regular "workouts."

My experience has been that if you buy cheap boots they will perform like cheap boots. That can be an effective strategy if you just buy them and plan them lasting a year. Do this and buy one pair of good boots and keep those for dress.

Or buy good stuff (from Dehner or other quality makers) and maintain them. That means clean them and polish them at least once a week.

One of the best ways to make good boots last longer is to have a pair of Muck boots always available for really "dirty jobs."

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Ehimalayas are made in Dubai from some interesting leather.
    I bought a pair and while the fit is decent, they triple lined the ankle so it doesn't break well. The worst was the smell! When I opened the box I became nauseous and dizzy. They smelled like a 14th century dungeon, soaked with formaldehyde.
    I filled them with crushed walnut kitty litter and set them in the sun for 3 days to off gas and now I can wear them without wanting to barf.
    I won't buy from them again, and will be selling these most likely. I'm sensitive to formaldehyde and can't take the chance sweating in them
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Mountain Horse makes some really great boots (I beat the snot out of my old Richmond field boots and they just won't DIE! I'm a little more careful with my Supremes.)

Check out the Firenze Dress boots. They come in men's sizes...
    http://www.mountainhorseusa.com/foot...nze-dress-boot

Of course, since you say you are an odd size, they may not work for you.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Ehimalayas are made in Dubai from some interesting leather.
    I bought a pair and while the fit is decent, they triple lined the ankle so it doesn't break well. The worst was the smell! When I opened the box I became nauseous and dizzy. They smelled like a 14th century dungeon, soaked with formaldehyde.
    I filled them with crushed walnut kitty litter and set them in the sun for 3 days to off gas and now I can wear them without wanting to barf.
    I won't buy from them again, and will be selling these most likely. I'm sensitive to formaldehyde and can't take the chance sweating in them
    So.... Like the Spanish Inquisition?

Quote Originally Posted by EnzoDbr9 View Post
    So.... Like the Spanish Inquisition?
    not if you expect it.

Good to know about the Himalayas.

The Inquisition! What a show. The Inquisition here we go...

Back on topic, the Petrie 3000's.... does anyone know if they come with zippers?