The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GotMyPony View Post
    Can you be more specific about what you consider pricey vs cheap? I live in Tryon, NC, area which is awash with trainers of all kinds as well as shows and two great trail systems, has decent weather most of the time (a little hot in summer but not Florida!) I've read here that Tryon is considered pricey but I it depends on where you're coming from... $10,000-15,000 an acre is expensive compared to East Texas but very very cheap compared to New Jersey, for instance...
    So true. Back during the real estate boom, the local folks here in north central Florida were saying, "$10,000/acre? Are you out of your freakin' mind? Who would pay that kind of money for bare land?" while the refugees from South Florida were saying, "OMG! $10,000/acre? That's practically giving it away!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    How hot and buggy are the Ocala summers? TIA

In Ocala summers can be brutal since they do not get a lot of coastal breezes like where I live does. We get the east coast breezes during the summer and generally it rains in the afternoons helping cool it down a bit.

We're retiring to Kentucky (SE) and it is VERY inexpensive there. In Florida if you can find a hay importer and buy it by the tyrailer then hay is less expensive - but 3X the price you find it in Kentucky. But Florida has more vets (unless you move close to Lexington) and currently the price of land in Florida - especially Ocala - is really down - so if you're thinking of buying land now is the time.
    Sandy in Fla.

Central KY is inexpensive, but there are definite downsides too. You need to look at the total picture, not just from the horse angle.
    There's another angle to life??? damn
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSprats Mom View Post
    LOL...considering that SE Kentucky has many of the poorest counties in the country, just be sure that any services you might think are necessary (like a decent hospital for instance) are available.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Laura, they have no idea.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I was going to suggest Franklin, TN. But I won't.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I love the area where I live (NC, north of Charlotte near Mooresville/Statesville). There is some very decent boarding available within a wide price range and tons of activities near enough to attend as a day trip. There are good trainers and shows and horse trials at nice facilities that range from very local to rated. I prefer good local-level showing, and there is plenty of it.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    So true. Back during the real estate boom, the local folks here in north central Florida were saying, "$10,000/acre? Are you out of your freakin' mind? Who would pay that kind of money for bare land?" while the refugees from South Florida were saying, "OMG! $10,000/acre? That's practically giving it away!"
    Way way back when [insert name of big time riding family here] first tried developing what is now Grand Prix Village, the lots were 5 to 10 acres at 10k per acre. As I recall, there wasn't a road or utilities. We laughed like hyenas to think that anyone would ever spend that much. The LLC formed to develop that land filed for bankruptcy because no one bought. I found it especially amusing because I had purchased a house and four acres for the 50k a scrub choked lot filled with melaleuca trees would have cost.

I don't own that house any more, but it's probably worth about 150k. Those weed choked lots? Well, there aren't any left, but I'd have to add another zero if there were.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    My parents used to live in Franklin. They loved it. They didn't move there until after I had already left home, though, so I only visited there a few times.

Franklin, TN is rather expensive, but 30 miles away is Murfreesboro, which is not as expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I love Franklin as well, but it seems to me that the farms are becoming subdivisions and land isn't cheap.

South Central PA has a pretty decent horsey scene. Lots of B/C shows, easy shipping to A shows, several good trainers and nice boarding facilities, and boarding is reasonable (I think $450 for full board with an indoor is about average), plus you can buy at very good prices. Decent foxhunting and eventing within doable shipping distance. Also a pretty big QH population, so lots of variety depending on what you are interested in.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSprats Mom View Post
    The complete population of the state is less than half the population of DFW area of Texas.... ever one knows everything about everything you do... and loving talking about whatever they think you are doing

Quote Originally Posted by altermetoday View Post
    If you could live somewhere that was super horsey with quality horse people that was very cost advantageous... i.e. inexpensive, where would it be? In particular, English riding areas... Is this possible? Cheap with quality instructors and shows? Does that exist?
    If you find one could you email me??
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    No they don't, do they? I'd suggest renting for a year before making a permanent decision if you're headed to one of those low cost areas.

Maybe I missed something, but when we were looking, properties in the Moore County area (aside from Youngs Rd./immediate So. Pines/Pinehurst area) were not that expensive. Boarding is probably not cheap, but most farms have all the amenities and then some. Tons of trainers, tons of small shows, some big shows, and plenty of big shows within a days drive. And that area is almost as horsey as you can get. Can't go to Walmart without seeing some woman in riding pants or folks with feed or hay in their vehicles. I think So. Pines and Pinehurst have a nice nightlife for being so small, and those areas are just so charming.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No they don't, do they? I'd suggest renting for a year before making a permanent decision if you're headed to one of those low cost areas.
    Yup - SO inherited 80 acres. Talking to people about things these past 2 years, and visiting often, makes you aware.

Hay grows on our property - allowing local farmer to use it keeps property looking nice for when we move there.

Drs, Dentists, etc.. are OK around here - not great but adequate for the basics. We're fairly close to local hospital - but if it's anything complicated I'd drive the 2 hours to Lexington or Knoxville for a better hospital /dr /dentist /chiropractor, ....

Work - someone suggested I could be a substitute teacher (old occupation) for around $60/day. I currently make around that amount per hour - so either will need to retire, find a "remote" job with some travel, or take a really big hit on my income.

Vet, Farrier - have asked around and found out who locals use. My farrier in Florida has volunteered to teach SO how to trim my horses, and since SO is a perfectionist (IF he's willing to do it) the horses will have the correct angles. Shoeing is another thing so will probably need a local for that.

Equine dentist - my local one knows someone in Tennessee that might travel close enough for me to haul horses to him.

Equine chiropractor / massage therapist - probably have to travel (like equine dentist) for that but we'll see.

My FIL has lived up there for many years so over the past 10 years we've been establishing contacts we'll need to move there. Having a network of knowledge really helps.
    Sandy in Fla.

As long as you're going into it with you eyes wide open in KY. I wasn't. I came from Baltimore. The really lousy medical care almost killed my daughter (and we're talking about Lexington). She's just had two more surgeries thanks to complications from the disaster 6 years ago. This time she had the surgeries in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Alright, I have no idea. Fill me in on the day-to-day of living in an amazingly poor county.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm not a great writer, so here you go:

http://prospect.org/article/pressing-upward-way

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ectricity.html

At the very least, be prepared to lose your telephone service frequently (and I do here) because someone has cut the telephone lines to sell the copper. Goes double for copper pipes if you're out of town, or that heat pump outside. Be ready for lots of accidents with uninsured and drunk drivers (even though most of the counties are dry), hope that your religion is evangelical Christian or prepare to be ostracized. Medical care? Hope that it's not something that can't wait for a helicopter ride.

Also be prepared for discrimination against anyone not white and Christian. Gay? My daughter has a gay friend who came out in college. Having his friends spit on him were one of the highlights of that year in school.

Like museums or cultural events? Shopping in a department store or a large grocery? Be prepared to live with Walmart and Pik Pak. We have people coming from 3 counties away to shop at our Kroger Marketplace for a good sale.

I live in Madison County, it's a decently well off county for the most part, has a large university, some very nice housing. I was fine with living an hour from anything on the west side of Lexington for a couple of years, but it's just gotten really old and with the price of gas, it's also very expensive.

I ran through 4 small animal vets and 2 large animal, until I found my current vet who comes down from Paris. The big boys (Rood & Riddle and Hagyard) won't travel this far. Same thing with farriers. I'm very lucky I found the farrier I did after 4 years and after the last two butchered one of my horses so horribly they left him with 3mm of sole and laminitis. My farrier has only two clients down here...me and my small animal vet.

The local hospital is a complete joke, very high infection rate. We say that if we get really sick or injured, that we'll have someone drive us over the county line so we at least go to a Lexington hospital. But even Lexington didn't work out too well for my daughter, when they overdosed her on steroids, she ended up a perforated colon and was misdiagnosed for two weeks (it was suggested she see a psychiatrist at one point because she was complaining about so much pain)...two weeks with a perforated colon. She's very lucky to be alive. Then, a year ago, with more abdominal pain, she got the full work-up from one of the "best" gastroentrologists in Lexington (the third one she saw in Lexington). He completely missed the diseased gallbladder (which was clearly evident on one of the CT scans he ordered). Her surgeon in Cincinnati was horrified that it wasn't identified.

So, like I said, go in with your eyes wide open and rent a bit. You might decide it's really not for you. Some of it you can ignore, some of it might not affect you. Just make sure that's really the style of living you're looking for.

1 members found this post helpful.