The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Inexpensive Quality Horsey Areas - Oxymoron?

If you could live somewhere that was super horsey with quality horse people that was very cost advantageous... i.e. inexpensive, where would it be? In particular, English riding areas... Is this possible? Cheap with quality instructors and shows? Does that exist?

nope.

Central Kentucky.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm considering moving to Kentucky and I've found that Stanford/Danville is pretty cheap! I'll be visiting barns at the end of this month to see quality of those barns!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Culpeper / Orange area in Virginia. 45 min/ an hour to The Plains, 2 hrs to Lexington Horse Center, and more events, shows, and more gold medal trainers than you can shake a stick at within 50/60 miles in any direction. Far enough from DC to not be painfully expensive, but close enough for a night out.
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

I'd say Ocala fits the bill, especially if you're willing to live in Morriston/Williston/Reddick/Citra etc. Morriston and Williston are in Levy county where the taxes are about 1/3 of those in Marion county. Land is *cheap* and there is SO much for sale and a lot to do in the area. Worth a look!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

2 members found this post helpful.

Great thread! I need this info, too.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Winnipeg, Manitoba Lots of great people, shows, and people gape if board is over $550...
    "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
    Working Student Blog
    Current Blog

2 members found this post helpful.

I'll second the Ocala area. I was considering Kentucky, also, but didnt want to deal with the winters. Horse heaven here, always some horsey stuff going on, and no one looks twice at you when you go shop at Publix in horse duds. Theres always horse trailers in the parking lots. The local paper, the Star Banner, often has horse news on the front page. I couldnt find anywhere cheaper to live that was so close to so many horsey feed stores/vets/activities, yet far enough out to be very rural.

Quote Originally Posted by LLDM View Post
    Culpeper / Orange area in Virginia.
    I also found Albemarle County (Charlottesville area) to be quite reasonable for what I got. Coming to New Jersey was real sticker shock even after two years in the D.C. area that was sort of "in between."

I've lived in both the Lexington area and the Gainesville-Ocala area. I love central Kentucky, but Gainesville-Ocala has to win out due to the weather. Like Punkie said, if you're willing to live just outside Ocala/Marion County you can get some great deals on property.

Where I live in Madison, GA has a couple great H/J trainers and is 40 min from GIHP and less than 2 hours from Aiken, Wills Park, and Chateau Elan. Board is inexpensive and the town is great...

Good luck finding a job outside of tourism though if you move here
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

and how much are you paying for hay in Ocala

Central KY is inexpensive, but there are definite downsides too. You need to look at the total picture, not just from the horse angle.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Hi
    I paid 24.00 for 50ish lbs Alfalfa, 7.75 coastal, 18.00 t/a. this weekend. Ocala area is the place to be. Horse stuff all year round. All disciplines. But board prices range greatly. And hay prices will shock you. I have found hay prices and quality will change greatly load to load I guess because everything but coastal is imported.

I came here from Lexington,Ky and I cried the whole first month because I left "horse country" ........wow..NOT TRUE....Ocala IS horse country! and you cant beat the winters! lol

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    I've lived in both the Lexington area and the Gainesville-Ocala area. I love central Kentucky, but Gainesville-Ocala has to win out due to the weather. Like Punkie said, if you're willing to live just outside Ocala/Marion County you can get some great deals on property.
    How hot and buggy are the Ocala summers? TIA
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Can you be more specific about what you consider pricey vs cheap? I live in Tryon, NC, area which is awash with trainers of all kinds as well as shows and two great trail systems, has decent weather most of the time (a little hot in summer but not Florida!) I've read here that Tryon is considered pricey but I it depends on where you're coming from... $10,000-15,000 an acre is expensive compared to East Texas but very very cheap compared to New Jersey, for instance...
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Exactly, GMP, it's relative. And in central KY, it's all....relative.

Quote Originally Posted by LLDM View Post
    Culpeper / Orange area in Virginia. 45 min/ an hour to The Plains, 2 hrs to Lexington Horse Center, and more events, shows, and more gold medal trainers than you can shake a stick at within 50/60 miles in any direction. Far enough from DC to not be painfully expensive, but close enough for a night out.
    I have to agree with this as well. Right now you can still get great deals on land and mini-farms, our hay is great and if you pick it up out of the field it can be as low as 4.00 a bale. I also like "a night out" in DC and the choice of trainers for eventing is huge.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    and how much are you paying for hay in Ocala
    I'm not right in Ocala, I'm closer to Gainesville. I feed coastal in round rolls. $60 for a horse quality roll. Alfalfa is expensive because it has to be trucked in from colder climates. But, if you're willing to feed perennial peanut, which is a locally grown alfalfa substitute and great hay, it's not nearly as expensive as alfalfa. Haven't bought any lately, so I can't tell you current prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    How hot and buggy are the Ocala summers? TIA
    Not as bad as you might think. Even in the worst of summer, riding early in the morning (pre-8 am) or late in the evening (just before sundown) is not too unpleasant. As far as bugs go, my equines are out 24/7. I spray them in the morning when I feed and again in the evening before I ride/when I feed and use fly masks during the day and I don't really have much trouble with the bugs.

And, late fall and winter provide such absolutely spectacular riding weather that most folks are more than willing to put up with summer.