The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default horse feed without soy??

I have a friend with a 5 yr.old warmblood that tested postive for allergens to many things and among them was soy products. She had him on Triple Crown 30% supplement but it is soy based and has to take him off of it. So far we cant find a balanced diet that does not contain soy. Does anyone know of any???
    Thanks for the help.

I think ADM has an oat based ration balancer but I think it's hard to find in some areas. My horses are soy free also and I use a base of alfalfa pellets and add beet pulp, oats or rice bran as needed. You can build quite a good ration that way and completely avoid the risk of soy.

Thanks for the reply, Ill send the information to her.

Quote Originally Posted by dgwof View Post
    I have a friend with a 5 yr.old warmblood that tested postive for allergens to many things and among them was soy products. She had him on Triple Crown 30% supplement but it is soy based and has to take him off of it. So far we cant find a balanced diet that does not contain soy. Does anyone know of any???
    Thanks for the help.
    McCauley's makes a product called M10. It's soy free, and designed to be fed like a balancer pellet.
    Cindy

McCauley's is the only soy-free RB out there that I know of, unless ADM's has a brand newer one lol And unfortunately, the M10 is for alfalfa/higher protein-based diets Hopefully they will come up with one for grass/lower protein-based diets soon!

We use alfalfa, rice bran and Platinum Performance Equine (that we have them prepare without soy - special order) to balance it all out for our mare who is allergic to soy.

I am sure I'm mistaken. i knew someone had a soy free RB and ADM is what popped into my head. Thanks for setting me straight! Dang menopause has fried my brain.

I still like building the ration myself anyway. Less cost and more control over the ingredients.

I just use alfalfa pellets, rice bran and oats, and a vit/min supplement.

It's pretty straightforward--1 part alfalfa pellets to 1 part rice bran to 2-3 parts oats, depending on the workload.I tinkered with it for a bit to get it right for my horse.

I baggie up a weeks worth at a time for the barn, they dump into a feed bowl and add water. Works for us.

Was it a skin test or blood test? Blood test results have many false positives, FWIW.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I am sure I'm mistaken. i knew someone had a soy free RB and ADM is what popped into my head. Thanks for setting me straight! Dang menopause has fried my brain.
    They have StayStrong Metabolic Mineral Pellets, and Mintrate, both RB-types, but I would think if they were soy-free they'd be touting it on the site, and I can't find any reference to it in any ingredients (and no ingredient list is there, so frustrating). The Metabolic pellet is oat-free, so maybe that's what you were thinking?

I still like building the ration myself anyway. Less cost and more control over the ingredients.
    More control for sure, but I can't make it be less cost How are you doing it?

I soak beet pulp, alfalfa cubes and/or whole oats to mix my supplements (California Trace) rice bran and flax into.

Beet pulp, timothy pellets, alfalfa pellets. You can get cubes or mini cubes in the hay feed. I use Standlee.

Equipride for a supplement.

This is what I feed to my soy sensitive horse. This is easy to feed.

Our feed is custom milled...rolled oats, rolled corn, alfalfa pellets, minerals, salt and a modest amount of molasses. No soy. We also feed beet pulp to some and alfalfa cubes - soaked - to the oldies. Horses look good. It is custom, though - not mass produced.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Thanks everyone, great ideas and solutions. Ill pass them all along to my friend with the problem horse. By the way , it was a blood test that detected the allergies.

I would have a skin test done to confirm the presence of allergies. Blood tests are notoriously inaccurate.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAAAI/13288
    http://voices.yahoo.com/inaccurate-b...is-455081.html
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01