The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Call your local public schools' art departments. They will take all of them. Since all the funding has been stripped from art and music, they have no money for supplies. They will use them for the pictures.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Another idea is to take them to a local tack shop and leave for a few days and see if anyone wants any--I've gotten a few really old issues that way (But maybe offer to pick the ones up that no one takes after a week or so)

While its fun to look at them most of the information is going to be outdated - riding styles, fashions and medical treatments have changed. If you have the inclination maybe go through them to see if there are any issues of special interest (Olympics, Rolex) and keep those, the rest just toss out. Maybe call one or 2 places and if there's no interest - dump them.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    While its fun to look at them most of the information is going to be outdated - riding styles, fashions and medical treatments have changed.
    So, fashions may have changed in 10 years and there have been advances in medical treatments but riding styles? If you are following riding fads, you're not doing it right. Classic equitation is classic for a reason.

And even medical treatments...it's not like we are talking the 50s here. We are talking 2002.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

1 members found this post helpful.

I have ancient copies of Horses Magazine... who didn't love that publication. Swoon!

Oh PonyPenny I just saw your post. I was in a few of them from back in the day, and they're prized possessions. Unfortunately you'll have to pry the rest of them out of my cold, dead hands. Those magazines were something to look forward to.

Some medical facilities may be glad to have some of them for their waiting rooms. Veterans hospitals , rural hospitals and veterinary hospitals may be interested, even if the magazines are old..

well how about taking them to a local bargain/thrift shop.alot of the shops in my city have a magazine rack and alot of times have seen horse mags show up.
    or if your like me move to a house that unexpectedly floods and have to throw them all away. i used mine for ref too i miss having them.
    i also long time ago sold some by posting an ad for the ppl looking for back issues that they have missed out on. just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by AndNirina View Post
    Oh PonyPenny I just saw your post. I was in a few of them from back in the day, and they're prized possessions. Unfortunately you'll have to pry the rest of them out of my cold, dead hands. Those magazines were something to look forward to.
    I know, but I can always dream.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Same here! I'm always keeping an eye our for that magazine.

I would be interested in some of the PH's from the 80's/early 90's! Especially any hunter/jumper/equitation issues or the annual stallion issue. PM me if you want to find a good home for them

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    MySportHorse US, I will check my piles.
    Thanks for checking!!

Again ..... Horse Illustrated June 2009 issue if anyone comes up with one!
    US BRED Champions Rule!GRANDE SOVEREIGN - Grande Leviticus, Eleventh Hour, Grande Desire,Couture du Jour,Roman Holiday,Kyrie 'd Triomphe,Grande Impression,Grande Celeste, Grande Divina & GRAND AFFAIR

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Done! I'll bequeath them to you upon my death. It's always good to have something to look forward to in life

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    So, fashions may have changed in 10 years and there have been advances in medical treatments but riding styles? If you are following riding fads, you're not doing it right. Classic equitation is classic for a reason.

And even medical treatments...it's not like we are talking the 50s here. We are talking 2002.
    That's true this God awful praying mantis o/f position has been around for awhile and it's not exactly classic equitation... but do you really need to have 100 issues of how to ride x=country, riding a fig 8,, and gridwork? I'm biased I'll admit.. I can't stand clutter and hoarding.. and I find that I do hoard too.... it's particularly crazy when you're cleaning out some closet and stumble across a box of old stuff you haven't laid eyes on in years and for some ridiculous reason you cannot manage to put some of its contents in the trash...like seriously those jeans I keep thinking I'll fit into again - aint gonna happen lol

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    I find that I do hoard too<snip>...like seriously those jeans I keep thinking I'll fit into again - aint gonna happen lol
    True, true...'cept I am fitting into all but one pair of those old jeans. Give me a few weeks, I say.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by paint hunter View Post
    Maybe some day we will be able to get the magazine in a digital, downloadable and savable version. I am ever hopeful (says she as she continues to toss old copies due to lack of space).
    Practical Horseman is available as a digital download for any format.
    http://www.equisearch.com/magazines/...digital-store/