The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Several options:
    1. List on ebay. Basic listings are free and will only cost you a small fee based on sales price and PayPal fees if purchased through them.
    2. List on Craigslist.
    3. List on Freecycle.
    4. Donate to your local Pony Club, therapeutic riding center, riding school, summer camp with riding program, etc. They will often cut out photos to use in art projects or have for parents to read while the kids are riding.
    5. Donate to your local Friends of the Library. Many take old periodicals and sell them.
    6. List on a horse-related forum, like you did.
    7. Bring with other items to a tack swap.
    8. Email the magazine and ask if they need any back issues. Sometimes they are missing older issues or only have one copy that is in bad shape.

If you end up deciding to sell, take the ones that don't sell and donate them to your local riding club, camp, 4-H group, pony club, etc. They are great resources for the kids and clubs for all sorts of fun
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    If you have the July 2010 issue, I'll take it off your hands...
    Is this the one with you on the cover?

I have two copies of the one with me in Jumping clinic and I think three copies of the one with me in the article about Greg Best. I'm hoping I don't regret not having more at some point...but I already feel a bit excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I'm looking for Feb 2012-present, and would happily pay shipping, etc. I subscribed for several years past my point of interest in the magazine just to see if my photo had shown up in George Morris's column yet. As of Feb 2012 it hadn't and I let my subscription lapse.
    I'm sure you have someone looking out for your picture? With the Greg Best article, I had friends tell me I was in it before I ever received my magazine. 'Course my name was in the caption...so that helped, I'm sure.

I sure wish PH would do as someone suggested and make each year available on searchable disc. I would totally be into that. I have each copy going back for years and I too never look at them. Not because I don't think some of the articles aren't useful (for a while there, they were Blah! but it's gotten better again) but because it would be too difficult to actually find what I was looking for. It's easily worth $50 to me.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

supershorty, I may have that issue. (Is that the one you were in??). I'm going to go look.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

supershorty, I found it! In my fifth stack. PM me your address if you want, and I will send it to ya.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

*Raises hand* Me, too - I've got SCADS of them, even some from the 70s! I don't know why I have such a hard time parting with them... they bring back happy memories, I guess. And almost always, if I pick an old one up, I find something interesting and/or of value. Eventually I will have to do something with all of my old horse magazines but for now the pile continues to grow... I appreciate the suggestions in this thread.

PS. Never have had a photo published but did get in the first response to a question they ran in PH a few months ago - that was pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Is this the one with you on the cover?
    Yes, haha! My parents have it framed at their house but I don't have any copies and since I'm getting married this spring, won't be living with them when I move back from Minnesota... I want to frame the cover and have it in my place! Not weird, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    supershorty, I found it! In my fifth stack. PM me your address if you want, and I will send it to ya.
    Thank you!! I will PM you!

Yes, haha! My parents have it framed at their house but I don't have any copies and since I'm getting married this spring, won't be living with them when I move back from Minnesota... I want to frame the cover and have it in my place! Not weird, right?
    Not weird at all. If I was on the cover (and had an article written about me) I'd have it framed and hanging in my house as well.

1 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I'm sure you have someone looking out for your picture? With the Greg Best article, I had friends tell me I was in it before I ever received my magazine. 'Course my name was in the caption...so that helped, I'm sure.
    I don't. Hence making an occasional effort to get hands on the magazine.

Supershorty- if you don't have your magazine cover framed on your living room wall there's something wrong with you. That is so cool.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Renn/aissance, I probably have these. Do you want them all? PM me if you want!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I don't. Hence making an occasional effort to get hands on the magazine.
    If you post the pic, I can take a look through my issues t see if it's run. Pm me if you don't want to post on the open board

If you have Horse Illustrated June 2009 issue - I would be happy to pay you for that issue!
    I have a filly by the Centerfold GRP Stallion - Popeye
    Email me Tellwynd@aol.com
    US BRED Champions Rule!GRANDE SOVEREIGN - Grande Leviticus, Eleventh Hour, Grande Desire,Couture du Jour,Roman Holiday,Kyrie 'd Triomphe,Grande Impression,Grande Celeste, Grande Divina & GRAND AFFAIR

MySportHorse US, I will check my piles.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Thank you!! I will PM you!
    My husband just read over my shoulder and whined, "I want to be on the cover of Practical Horseman..."
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Also try local hospitals and veterans hospitals. I know during my stays the folks that have brought me a stack of old PH and COTH magazines have made my day since I am not a subscriber. When we were done with some books and magazines we took them to the local veteran's hospital and they were thrilled to have the reading material for waiting rooms and for lending to inpatients.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

MySportHorseUS, sorry, I don't have that issue! I've searched.

Renn/aissance, just PM'd you.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by RiderWriter View Post
    *Raises hand* Me, too - I've got SCADS of them, even some from the 70s! I don't know why I have such a hard time parting with them... they bring back happy memories, I guess. And almost always, if I pick an old one up, I find something interesting and/or of value. Eventually I will have to do something with all of my old horse magazines but for now the pile continues to grow... I appreciate the suggestions in this thread.

PS. Never have had a photo published but did get in the first response to a question they ran in PH a few months ago - that was pretty cool!
    The really old ones, from the 1970s and 1980s, are fantastic. The articles were much more in-depth than what the magazine serves up today. I have especially enjoyed picking them up and getting (for example) a reminder of young David O'Connor's first trip to england and what it was like for him to do that as a struggling young rider.

They also did a really fantastic "Build-a-Horse" feature for a year, where they had cartoons of people unrolling tendons and the like into place, with all kinds of "assembly instructions" about how improper attachments could result in this problem or that problem. It was terrific and engaging and I've been meaning to dig it up to give out to my 4-H kids.

I think it would be terrific to have them available in a digital format.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Not weird at all. If I was on the cover (and had an article written about me) I'd have it framed and hanging in my house as well.
    Maybe in more than one room.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I would love to find old copies of Horses Magazine.

Maybe some day we will be able to get the magazine in a digital, downloadable and savable version. I am ever hopeful (says she as she continues to toss old copies due to lack of space).