The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What to do with 100 issues of Practical Horseman?

For some bizarre reason, I've been saving every issue of Practical Horseman that I've received for the last ten or so years. I've now come to the realization that I'm never going to do anything with them - at one point, I thought it would be a good reference library for me, but now I've realized that I never look at them, and they are just taking up tons of space in my closet and coffee table.

Any ideas on what I can do with them? It seems a waste to just take them to the dump - I didn't know if maybe some riding group or camp might want them?

I'd love any ideas you might have - trying to do some spring cleaning/purging, and these are one of the items on my list!!!

Thanks in advance!

Yeah--I have the same problem, only I've been saving them since 1986. I have been thinking about getting rid of mine, too, for the same reason.

Would your local library take them? Personally, I would love to be able to browse back issues if they were available.

If you have the July 2010 issue, I'll take it off your hands...

donating to the local library is an idea....or maybe the local 4H, Pony club or other horse club in your area. Or, like you said, a large barn with a camp could use them as reference or even arts/crafts.....kids could cut out the pictures for different projects, etc.

I'm a member of a few facebook horse groups, and posted on those that I was giving mine away. Through that avenue, ended up giving them to a former student of mine!

I'll take them!
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Someone I know did something very cool with their COTH covers. They used the covers as wallpaper in their guest bath. I thought it was super cool
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

1 members found this post helpful.

I take out the articles that I think I will use in the future or currently find useful and put them in sheet protectors in a like 4" binder. The rest of the magazine is fire starter.

Make a collage
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by x View Post
    Yeah--I have the same problem, only I've been saving them since 1986. I have been thinking about getting rid of mine, too, for the same reason.
    I am looking for issues from 1986 to 1995. If you want a home for them, please let me know.

yeah i would take them! i have alot of them but sometimes let my subscription lapse. let me know if you want to get rid of them!

I have around 100 issues of PH as well. Not sure what to do with them, I keep telling myself I'll go through and rip out good articles and throw the rest away but I don't ever get around to it!

I would call up some local riding schools and see if it's possible to leave them out as freebees for the kids who ride.

You might also offer them in the free section of Craigslist or even in Giveaways here. I had boxes of old kid magazines that were gone in a day via Craigslist.

4-H groups or riding camps might take them for collages and other similar projects.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I pull out articles that are benefical to me or my students, put them in folders and the rest of it goes into the trash. Other magazines I pass on to others who want to read them. Another good thing to do is leave them at the doctor and dentist offices! I would be thrilled to be in a waiting room and find good reading material!

I give them to my BO who uses them as prizes at her summer riding camps.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Send them to me! Hahaha I donate the ones I'm done reading to my barn for the lesson kids to see and read and we bring a few to shows to leave out on the table in our set up.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I'm looking for Feb 2012-present, and would happily pay shipping, etc. I subscribed for several years past my point of interest in the magazine just to see if my photo had shown up in George Morris's column yet. As of Feb 2012 it hadn't and I let my subscription lapse.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

You can list them on eBay for a nominal price, and specify that they are for pick-up only (so you don't have to deal with shipping them anywhere). I would be shocked if you didn't have lots of interest in them!

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I am looking for issues from 1986 to 1995. If you want a home for them, please let me know.
    check your PM.
    The truth is always in the middle.