The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by PINE TREE FARM SC View Post
    Yes and there are eventers showing at both the rated AA and the unrated shows.
    Three day events in Aiken and nearby.
    And lots of other fun equine stuff. This Saturday is the spring jump race meet ( although it's probably sold out by now).
    Breakfast at the Track Kitchen.
    The Aiken Trials - flat racing was last week and the final leg of the Aiken Triple Crown is a polo match.
    USEA training sessions held in Aiken.
    Hunting in Hitchcock Woods.
    Pretty much something to do everyday
    Excellent points, because as we all know, horses have a way of injuring themselves or getting sick. It's awfully nice to be able to salvage a trip should your horse be unridable. So there are other ways to either volunteer at shows, tag along at XC schoolings, be a railbird just about anywhere and still be able to learn things even if you are unexpectedly grounded.

pleasantknoll,

Thank you for understanding the meaning of my post. I really appreciate you giving better clarity to what I had written!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

My daughter has a crazy work schedule but managed to make it to Ocala last year. She sent her 4 year old down to our former neighbor (www.greyfoxfarm.com). He had a chance to get used to the footing and to get some schooling. After a few weeks, she drove down with her trailer and second horse. She then got a few weeks of lessons on her then fit and schooled 4 year old. She stayed in the barn apartment, and had a wonderful time. Denise has a number of owners who send their horses down early to get acclimated, and then spend their vacations getting lessons and competing. My daughter planned to do it again this winter, but then could not get 2 weeks off. An Ocala trip is my idea of a great vacation. If the horse arrives ahead of time, you don't have to worry about acclimation.

Not to harp on this, but

However, I feel like I never want to return to Southern Pines. Those of you who live there and have taken this matter so personally, have discounted two Vets' opinions and made me feel like I am an awful person for speaking about what happened to me.
    Nobody is upset, and I can't imagine people are taking it personally, however it's more than a little misleading to say that there is "deep sand" everywhere when it's simply not true. I'm sorry your horse was injured and I hope he recovers soon--it must have sucked to come all this way and go home with a broken pony. Our only points were that the "deep" sand is not the norm and easily avoided, and that most of the footing here is completely packed, and as close to perfect as you can get. I would imagine there are horses who would not like this type of footing--nothing wrong with that, just a hard lesson to learn after travelling so far, and definitely not the norm.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, I mentioned it--out loud--to one of my senior partners at work AND my husband, and neither one of them so much as grumbled. So that's progress!

Today it is 25 degrees, snowing hard, and feels like freaking JANUARY. I had done mega-spring-cleaning on my barn and paddocks over the weekend and I feel CHEATED! This trip is SO happening!
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

OK DW I will stop whinging about having a dressage lesson this morning in 50 degree, partly cloudy weather. . .

Go for it, DW, it's pretty much impossible not to have fun if you are surrounded by horses and it's sunny and warm!

1 members found this post helpful.

OK DW I will match and up your whine with mine. I live in the middle of horse country, Camden SC, on a small horse farm for 15 years now. Outside of 2+ years riding ThirmCharm's lovely homebred I.have.not.been.able.to.take.advantge.of.my.locati on.

Hopefully this year is a new beginning.

By the way. . . What is your cheese preference to go with our wine, I mean whine.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Macaroni and.
    Click here before you buy.

I spent January and February this year in Aiken. It was my first time there with my horse. I had originally planned to go there with Chris Hitchcock but as you all may know he has retired from the horse biz. So, I went by myself to Full Gallop and had a great time. I got to ride some with the resident trainer -- Sarah Davis -- who is quite good and then had six or seven lessons with Stephen Bradley and did a clinic with Grant Wilson.

Laura Anderson who owns FG is great. She is fun, has a lot of energy, and does a great job running her farm and her events. The Chronicle should write an article about her. She is dedicated to retraining and rehoming OTTBs. I got to hack out with many of them ridden by her working students and they are ALL nice.

My husband and I rented a house close to downtown Aiken and walked our dogs in Hitchcock Woods as often as possible.

Having ridden extensively in Southern Pines and now in Aiken I can't say that I see alot of difference in the footing. Parts of Hitchcock Woods are really sandy -- like the Sand River. Other areas are really hard. It was pretty much the same in SP. It just pretty much depends where specifically you are. It's all better than Rougemont which is a big red muddy mess in the winter.

Anyhow, the bad part of our Aiken adventure is that since we have been back in Boston -- all of 18 days -- we have had two major snowstorms which have dumped at least 2-1/2 feet of snow on the ground. And there may be a third one on its way. So I feel like whatever progress I made is now in hibernation. Oh well. I will be back there next winter and will stay longer!

For all of you Aiken regulars, how hard is it to pick up part time horse work in the area?

DW I'm eyeing a trip next year, too. I've been tied home with kids over the years, but my youngest graduates high school in a few months (68 days!) so next year is a definite maybe! No empty nest tears for me...

Can anyone give a general idea of what the costs are in terms of things like boarding, lodging and lessons?

Subk--come to camp this summer! I'd love to see you.