So...a little derail here...If you are banned, can't you just come back as an alter? What's to stop people from coming back over and over again? Forgive my ignorance, but I've been wondering.
I think some people do that. Usually the ugly behavior that caused the first ban rears its ugly head again. The mods can also check the IP address to see if the alter originates from the same computer, I think.
Remember back in the day when the poop hit the fan with Erin?
The proverbial poop hit the fan with Erin due to a myriad of reasons, but the begging Rob did via text to get her back was priceless. Erin was done with the drama and most of you have no idea just how invasive some members were - to the point that some called her house at all hours of the night and tried to argue their "side". It was truly insane.
As for the woman in question on this thread, it seems as though basic behavioral modification would do the trick - stop responding to her. Stop talking about her. In fact, stop going to her website. Just STOP.
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W. C. Fields
Well, after mildot got banned, someone came on coth who sounded just like him. So the mods were notified and the person was banned. So we presume he was mildot reincarnated. Or whatever is done from the other place like reincarnation.
And who was the poster who came on last year or so and posted very much like Thomas1? That poster was asked by many if he was Thomas1. And the poster disappeared.
I forget the name of the poster who came on as alter after she got banned on the driving forum. I saw where a lot of people outted her on threads, and that alter got banned. She was the one who fought with Thomas1 often over there on the driving forum. And I don't blame Thomas1 for being mad about donating money for an expensive sling and almost exactly a year later finding out that the rescue was soliciting cothers' money for a sling.
It's hard not to use the same phrases and terms and expressions when you are accustomed to doing so. While the poster-who-posted-like-Thomas1 didn't say he "could p*** down his leg," he did sound very much like Thomas. And I saw where he was banned over on another forum, someone sent me the link to that. Mane Street forum or something like that?
I'm not an internet expert, not even a little bit, so people tell me they can create an alter when banned, by using a different computer and therefore having a different IP address? But as they say, a leopard cannot change his spots, corny phrase, but a poster cannot change his/her manner and phrases and wording and way of posting.
Since the board is owned by a private company, there can be no successful law suit to be allowed to come back on the board. Sure anyone can file a lawsuit, but it can be dismissed. Oh, and coth could recoup its attorney's fees from anyone filing a specious lawsuit. And maybe punitive damages to boot. When we join coth, we agree to abide by the rules and regs of coth. And when we get warned, and don't follow the mods order to stop, we get demerits. I got a permanent demerit for posting about Doug Spinks after being warned. Permanent parole, LOL. But it was worth it.
I joined after the Erin fiasco. But equinellaw told me all about it and how people hounded Erin.
Don't even need a PM. On Sat late nite or Sunday 3 threads were started by she who shall not be named and an apparent alter (same grammer, misspellings and style) that included responses by apparent house guests ( same grammar, misspellings and style).
Threads are still available to read, padlocked but not edited or made to go poof by the mods despite violating COTH etiquette and rules. Probably on page 2 by now as they slide down to where they belong.
Should said nameless person post again in anything other then a rational manner, many here will not respond so it quickly slides away.
That did lead to some fond memories of past banned posters and Erins departure.
When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.
How to Get Banned- what should be the rules
1. Start/post hostile, long, far fetched threads (works best if done over and over, even after one has been warned or previously had threads locked).
2. Make an alter, or lots of them, preferably from multiple computers (this makes IP tracking a challenge! Like Where's Waldo!
3. When using your alters, vary your writing style- but try not to make the same spelling errors, this can clue COTH super sleuths in on your true identity.
4. Threaten to sue, a lot. For instance, in a different thread someone said they don't like chestnut mares with bling. That sounds like my mare, I think I shall sue.
5. Sic your lawyer on them (real or imaginary). But lawyer can never call!
6. Use your children as a shield to deflect your evil doings, they are traumAtized by other posters, not your own deeds!
7. Call people names, insult their intelligence etc. This is also effective to gain clients and win allies!!
8. Repeat steps 1-8. Your threads will go poof or get locked without comment. Don't despair!!! Eventually, one of the PTB (powers that be) will get so annoyed by all the reporting of your threads and your constant blathering- you MAY get banned! Keep at it!
I missed all the good bannings,being a relative newbie. The only whackadoodle I was here for was mildot. But if I ever go ahead and have my mental break, I'm going to come on here as a bunch of alters and argue with myself about slaughter, PP, drugs, how we did things in my day and shamateurs. Then me and all the voices in my head will get banned!
Consider yourselves warned.