The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I have been on here since the beginning and can count on one hand how may people have been banned that used to post often in the H/J section. To answer the OP, People are generally banned when they continually cause chaos, stir the pot, name calling, and what have you on COTH.

Findeight-has been on here a long time too, so she may something else to add.

1 members found this post helpful.

Now don't drag Nancy Grace into this. At least you can turn off the TV when Nancy is embellishing Arias' sexual acts. Nancy has never been interested in horses. And we worked in the same office in Atlanta. No turning her off there, except when I'd be called to help her in court. TV cameras actually left her courtroom due to the arguing and fighting...........no not witnesses, but Nancy and defense lawyers. Oh wait, Nancy is rich and I'm not. so her method of trying cases by ranting was obviously better that mine.

I've seen a few people lose it and get banned. Like Thomas1. But then I'd told him a year before the rescue thread blowup about that rescue. And he'd ignored me and sent her more money. Then he lost it a year later when the blowup happened.
    And hmm who was it on the driving thread who argued with Thomas1 a lot? She lost it and got banned. And came back as an alter and got banned again.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Now don't drag Nancy Grace into this. At least you can turn off the TV when Nancy is embellishing Arias' sexual acts. Nancy has never been interested in horses. And we worked in the same office in Atlanta. No turning her off there, except when I'd be called to help her in court. TV cameras actually left her courtroom due to the arguing and fighting...........no not witnesses, but Nancy and defense lawyers. Oh wait, Nancy is rich and I'm not. so her method of trying cases by ranting was obviously better that mine.

I've seen a few people lose it and get banned. Like Thomas1. But then I'd told him a year before the rescue thread blowup about that rescue. And he'd ignored me and sent her more money. Then he lost it a year later when the blowup happened.
    And hmm who was it on the driving thread who argued with Thomas1 a lot? She lost it and got banned. And came back as an alter and got banned again.
    LOL re: poor Nancy Grace.... DH will sit and listen to her rant...drives me crazy! Then again he will also watch those whacky public access tv preacher people and want to then have a convo about how whacked they are.

Apologies to Nancy...carry on, carry on....

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    I appreciate that the rants yesterday were permitted for a while.

We just heard that it was someone else that killed the pony, or a vicious spider. Either of which only took effect immediately after the pony was given a needle by the owner.
    Wasn't there also some reference to an "infamous carrot incident"? The possibilities are endless.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

2 members found this post helpful.

reconcidered my reply.
    Last edited by Ambitious Kate; Mar. 19, 2013 at 02:14 AM.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

"The difference between common-sense and paranoia is that common-sense is thinking everyone is out to get you. That's normal - they are. Paranoia is thinking they're conspiring.
    -J. Kegler"

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    I have been on here since the beginning and can count on one hand how may people have been banned that used to post often in the H/J section. To answer the OP, People are generally banned when they continually cause chaos, stir the pot, name calling, and what have you on COTH.

Findeight-has been on here a long time too, so she may something else to add.
    Not much to add. Overt advertising has gotten quite a few banned(and that forum closed down for a weekend. Personal name calling and accusations not public record-which these 3 threads have certainly danced with-get some too. Oh, and repeated house guests/alters can result in a smack down.

I have a gut feeling COTH does not want to defend a nuisance censorship lawsuit, if they have not been threatened with one already, so they let her prattle on so as not to be seen as blocking or censoring.

Think the best thing for us is to just shun her unless she wants rational discussion. No asterisks either, that just keeps it at the top of the page. Don't feed it.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

4 members found this post helpful.

I honestly don't think it would be an ordeal for COTH to defend itself against a lawsuit by a banned poster. One poster's lawsuit against RatemyhorsePro was thrown out early on and I think it would be the same for COTH.

That said, I will take your suggestion and not respond to posts by people, who really are making things unpleasant with their personal tirades and lawsuit threats and, whom I feel, should not be allowed to participate.

There is no reason to attempt to communicate with people who are either incapable of understanding what is being "said" to them (in that case, tragic) or are just not interested in anything but publicizing their own agenda (in that case, beyond annoying).

Whatever the problem, there is nothing to be gained by attempting to reason with the unreasonable. So, you can count me in as one who will refrain from responding again.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I honestly don't think it would be an ordeal for COTH to defend itself against a lawsuit by a banned poster.
    It still costs money. And time. And energy. Resources that might be better spent on things other than lawsuits. Like covering horse sports.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    It still costs money. And time. And energy. Resources that might be better spent on things other than lawsuits. Like covering horse sports.
    Of course, but COTH has banned people before, and will again.

Why have forum rules at all, if the threat of litigation nullifies them?

This would then be a forum where the litigious can run amuck, while everyone else abides by the rules..

I have to refer to the post by Jody Jaffe. Insanity is not to be taken lightly, and inflaming it does not prove yours. I did not see the post but if this poor woman lost a child and people are jumping into a discussion with her on anything and do not take that into account, shame.on.you.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

I am pretty sure that one of the rules for this BB, as well as other BBs, is that the poster is responsible for whatever shit they post, not the BB that they post on. Internet rules generally go by that.

It's like two people talking in a bar ... you don't sue the bar. It's just a public place for people to talk or drink or whatever.

6 members found this post helpful.

The loss of a child is a tragedy, but it is also not carte blanche for egregious public behavior to the degree the poster in question is responsible for.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

28 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Wasn't there also some reference to an "infamous carrot incident"? The possibilities are endless.

There was too much to sum up in one sentence. Maybe it was Phelps? Laugh.

I don't think newer members of the COTH community realize how totally unique this situation is. If it was/is an attempt to raise site hits hence revenue? They would have caught on long ago.

12 years on here. Never left this kind of post up unedited or at all before. Hope they don't again either. But I give them the benefit of the doubt on this. Even see some logic to it.

Moderating this board used to be like herding cats, seems to have moved to lions.

5 members found this post helpful.

I miss Thomas1. Wasn't there some gal named Ambre that was banned as well?
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I miss Colin who was always entertaining and good natured even in posts that got her booted from time to time.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Of course, but COTH has banned people before, and will again.

Why have forum rules at all, if the threat of litigation nullifies them?

This would then be a forum where the litigious can run amuck, while everyone else abides by the rules..

I remember a period of time where there was a TON of COTH banning. A bunch of posters got banned for fairly innocous reasons. That's what led, in part, to the creation of The Outside Course.

In the history of COTH, posters have been banned for all sorts of transgressions, large and small. The banning continues, mostly for posters advertising on the forums. I noticed just a few weeks ago a poster banned who came on pretending to be Joe Q. public but was actually a brand rep trying to advertise a product repeatedly by posting "positive reviews by a random member of the public."

It does seem that certain posters are allowed to violate the rules more flagrantly than others and aren't banned. I have my guesses why.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

5 members found this post helpful.

Yes, Colin was hilarious!

3 members found this post helpful.

Peeking above the parapet here --

I don't think it is a bad thing that she continue to post as I can imagine scenarios where nonhorsey parents might consider doing business with her; and if they google her these threads might come up and prove enlightening.

I did not know she lost a child and I feel for her. I agree that merits a huge amount of slack-cutting. However, I also think killing a pony (having a pony die immediately after you inject it with something) crosses a line for me.

4 members found this post helpful.