The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default How to get banned from COTH?

When I returned to the COTH BB after a fairly long hiatus, I noticed that some of the folks who used to post quite frequently had been banned.

In light of recent nonsense, I asked myself, "Self, what must one do in order to be banned from COTH?"

I know there are specific rules in the user agreement but shouldn't Mods have a good judgement clause (or maybe they already do) to ban any user who spends lots of time trolling or being pugilistic and antagonistic?

I can understand how the recent discussion of due process, etc. with governing bodies is an important topic but this is so far beyond fitting into the parameter of the H/J forum... or am I wrong?

Just curious...

22 members found this post helpful.

10 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm, yes. It would seem one person in particular should have her ability to post here removed. I don't know how much of it is trolling VS some sort of insanity, but it's pretty much outside the realm of normal behavior.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    . I don't know how much of it is trolling VS some sort of insanity, but it's pretty much outside the realm of normal behavior.
    It's not ABnormal behavior...it's EXTRANORMAL behavior!

14 members found this post helpful.

Many years on here and cannot recall 3 threads in a day locked without comment yet left unedited and available. Usually they get edited or the whole thing goes poof.

That should satisfy both sides so we can get back to more civil discussion. And thank you Mods, unpleasant job to preside here sometimes. This is the biggest dust up since a forum got completely shut down.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

8 members found this post helpful.

As in every other walk of life, money talks. Sometimes it even screeches.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Hmmm, yes. It would seem one person in particular should have her ability to post here removed. I don't know how much of it is trolling VS some sort of insanity, but it's pretty much outside the realm of normal behavior.
    crap! I've been away for a while and now I don't know what (or who) you guys are talking about... Link please! Trolls are funny, I wanna see the troll!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    As in every other walk of life, money talks. Sometimes it even screeches.
    This.

That being said, I read over the BB rules and I counted at least three violations. If it happens over and over again, why allow her to stay?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    This.

That being said, I read over the BB rules and I counted at least three violations. If it happens over and over again, why allow her to stay?
    Probably for entertainment value.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    Probably for entertainment value.
    I thought it might be because it keeps the mods in business.

4 members found this post helpful.

Just weighing to say I don't care whether the person we aren't mentioning is banned or not. And truth be told, the more any of us (myself included) actually responds to the rants, etc. the more we encourage her to continue to post. I've replied to her rants with "shut up" and "just please stop" to no avail. She feeds on the nonsense and we are, in effect, feeding her.

I appreciate the Mods and if their hands are tied to some effect, WE the other BB members can always choose to engage in a good old fashioned SHUNNING and REFUSE to post on any of the crazy threads. That's going to be my strategy from here on out. Yes, the "show" is sort of like watching the recent Nancy Grace/Jody Arias mess, but I don't think I'll miss it enough to have to read/participate in it.

Just weighing to say I don't care whether the person we aren't mentioning is banned or not. And truth be told, the more any of us (myself included) actually responds to the rants, etc. the more we encourage her to continue to post. I've replied to her rants with "shut up" and "just please stop" to no avail. She feeds on the nonsense and we are, in effect, feeding her.

I appreciate the Mods and if their hands are tied to some effect, WE the other BB members can always choose to engage in a good old fashioned SHUNNING and REFUSE to post on any of the crazy threads. That's going to be my strategy from here on out. Yes, the "show" is sort of like watching the recent Nancy Grace/Jody Arias mess, but I don't think I'll miss it enough to have to read/participate in it.

I find it disturbing to watch someone unravel so completely in a public forum. Dragging her child with her makes it all the more egregious.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

30 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I think I might love you (in a non-creepy
    way).
    Right.... ;P Now I must go see what the fuss is about.

1 members found this post helpful.

i advocate for the asterisk response in the case of our extranormal participant who speaks to Jesus.

i don't see why we are speaking in "code" about Elizabeth Mandarino or her screen name "amberhill".

Quote Originally Posted by fair judy View Post
    i advocate for the asterisk response in the case of our extranormal participant who speaks to Jesus.

i don't see why we are speaking in "code" about Elizabeth Mandarino or her screen name "amberhill".

Thank You, Jesus! ( and COTH ) All the recent Amberhill threads have been locked.

2 members found this post helpful.

what jumphigh said. It is sad and disturbing to watch a person unravel so publicly especially with a child involved.

That said, I cut her a lot of emotional slack. She lost a child. When something bad happens to one of your children, that messes with your mind. Trust me on is.

Leave her be.

I agree that, at this point, continuing to focus on and engage in aggressive confrontations with someone who is plainly suffering and unstable is just not right.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind." Kurt Vonnegut, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post

Well said!!!

And I too miss some of the Banned!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

I appreciate that the rants yesterday were permitted for a while.

We just heard that it was someone else that killed the pony, or a vicious spider. Either of which only took effect immediately after the pony was given a needle by the owner.

3 members found this post helpful.