The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eating Beetles?!

I've noticed over the past few days that both our dogs, the hound moreso than the JRT, have become obsessed with eating little black beetles!

They spend hours nosing around the yard trying to find them, digging through the old garden beds and around the house foundation. I've only found a few in the house (that the dogs have quickly snapped up...).

I've done some research and they look like plain ground beetles. I've called our vet and she's said not to worry too much about it, but it just strikes me as weird that they would get so cracked out over.... beetles. And it's kinda gross.

Anybody else have a dog that's obsessed with eating beetles? We watch them pretty closely when they are outside (we have a possum that won't. go. away.) but we can't be on top of them every second. Is there any way to persuade them that beetles are not the food of choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

My dog looooves beetles! She likes to pick them up, and see how far she can fling them when she spits them out...I think she eats them, too. I wouldn't worry too much, it's just something fun for them to "hunt". I had a friends dog that would go CRAZY for the June Bugs, and try to eat every last one. It was the "crunch, crunch, crunch" that weirded me out, lol.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Xander is obsessed with stink bugs. He still hasn't made the connection stink bug=nasty smell. No one ever said Pugs are the smartest breed.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has pups obsessed with bugs!

It's the crunching that skeeves me out too, Ainsley! Yuck.

MyGiantPony, our hound LOOOOOOVES stinkbugs. They make his breath....fantastic!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

One of our toy poodles was on a restricted diet or she would blimp up.
    So, she complemented her diet with all kinds of bugs, beetles and especially grasshoppers, that were her favorites.
    Bugs are very good nutrition, as we could not keep her from being chubby in the summers because of them.

She was the only one of many that ever ate more than the rare bug.

OMG, my Beagles think crickets are wild grown popcorn. They are obsessed with eating them come fall.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

1 members found this post helpful.

My dog loves to catch flies and will run all over the yard trying to get one. She catches them in the house too. The only issue I have is that she doesn't understand the difference between flies and bees, so it's just a matter of time before she has to go to the vet for a swollen face.