The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Speaking of old helmets...

How often do you replace them if you haven`t "used" it? My current troxel is probably over 10 years old. I never used it much (just clinics or whatever) but took a fall on asphalt sans helmet last year that made me rethink that.

Recently I read here on COTH that you should replace them even if you haven't had a wreck. So, how often??? Do I need to replace mine?
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Every 5 years with no wreck.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Time passes quicker than we think. I replaced my Troxel when the lining inside began to break down and I'd get black crumbs on my forehead each time I removed it. There is a manufacturer's date in the new one.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Five years. I need to replace my well used Tip and my pretty, only used once IRH. Although the IRH might be ok, it's been living in the climate controlled closet. The rationale is that the styrofoam type liner is subject to deterioration from environmental factors like heat and cold and what UV gets to it. My Tip has spent too many afternoons in the gym bag in the car,baking, and 90 degree days on my head in the sun getting irradiated too.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

5 years from the manufacture date stamped on the inside, unless I fall off/drop it/leave it in a hot car sooner.

1 members found this post helpful.

5 years, although I tend to go less than that because I sweat in mine so much that it starts to smell quite awful even with regular cleaning.

According to the Charles Owen guy the 5 years thing is the "one size fits all" answer. He said you need to replace your helmet because sweating in it changes the fit, not because the foam breaks down. So, if you have a helmet that lives in a closet and just comes out for shows it can be longer than 5 years.

That said, 10 years? I'd probably replace it. I replace the helmet I wear all the time every 1-2 years because it gets so darn gross.

...and of course it helps to have the extra sales. But there is no price on safety.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Thanks all! I have just recently been converted to using a helmet which is why my helmet isn't stinky or falling apart. It's lived a life of leisure in my closet for most of it's life. That asphalt fall has changed that, though. I was lucky but it still rang my bell.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

I'm not convinced the 5-year thing is much more than wishful thinking on the part of manufacturers. My Owens are stored on shelves in a cool, dry place and I have a hard time believing much material breakdown is taking place. I'm definitely harder on my Troxel everyday beaters and probably SHOULD retire a couple.

But then, I'm fairly unimpressed with these things' "protection" anyway. Having smacked the ground in lots of things over the years, I still think the old Pony Club-approved hats jarred you less than today's $700 ugly-ass Styrofoam wonders.

Wear 'em by all means, but for REAL concussion avoidance you need to keep your weight in your heels!