The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr. 5, 2007
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celavie18 View Post
    Actually, I was confused when I typed SE 06. So many numbers... I actually received a SE 03. Very flat seat, close contact and looks like the pony saddle on the CWD website. The thing is, it is not the style I remember agreeing upon. I sure hope I can get this figured out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post
    SE03 should be the deep seated model. SE01 is their flat seat model, SE02 is their medium deep model. At least that's how they were labeled when I ordered mine in 2011.
    Contact CWD ASAP!
    SE03 is the super flat seat, it makes more sense. The "style" issue you are describing might just be the saddle needing to be broken in... pm me with pictures if you want and I can tell you right away which model you got.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar. 17, 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8

    Default

    This is interesting. The saddle I have is definitively not a deep seat. The notation under the flap indicates it is a SE 03. This website below describes SE 03 as a "flat seat" but my saddle looks nothing like the one pictured.

    http://www.pennystevenson.co.nz/cwd/saddles/se03.html

    My saddle looks like this:

    http://cwdsellier.com/product/PONY+SADDLE/822

    I understand custom means things do not look the same, but it seems like my saddle doesn't exist...could it be so custom made that it looks like 2 models put together? I have contacted the rep and he his coming out this week. I'm afraid though...what if he tries to convince me to keep it? Aestheticly, I like the saddle, but safety wise, I can't hang on with the small/flat seat and the nearly non-existent knee roll.

    Thanks for everyone's reply



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul. 25, 2003
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    8,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celavie18 View Post
    I have contacted the rep and he his coming out this week. I'm afraid though...what if he tries to convince me to keep it? Aestheticly, I like the saddle, but safety wise, I can't hang on with the small/flat seat and the nearly non-existent knee roll.
    I hope it all works out for you. Be polite but firm. Since your trainer also questioned how the saddle fits you, maybe it would be helpful to have her there too?

    How disappointing not to get what you expected.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    919

    Default

    If he won't fix it, tell him you'll put a stop payment on your cc. Consider it contract unfulfilled.
    ************************
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
    If he won't fix it, tell him you'll put a stop payment on your cc. Consider it contract unfulfilled.
    I would guess that several months later the credit card has already been charged.

    Honestly, I cannot imagine spending $5,000 to have a saddle delivered to me by mail. My saddle fitter delivers $1,800 saddles IN PERSON. It is included in the price of the saddle; she drives the new saddle down the driveway and personally places it on the horse. The $950 saddles and the $5,000 saddles she sells get the same attention. If something were ever not to be right (and several saddles and horses later they have always been perfect on the first try), it would be addressed in person and immediately.

    Honestly cannot believe the lack of customer attention to just mail stuff out and let the customer figure it out for that kind of money. Obviously if my saddle fitter can do it for $1,800 and they are raking int $5k per it won't exactly bankrupt the company, but I guess they just can't be bothered?

    Jaysus.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2009
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I would guess that several months later the credit card has already been charged.

    Honestly, I cannot imagine spending $5,000 to have a saddle delivered to me by mail. My saddle fitter delivers $1,800 saddles IN PERSON. It is included in the price of the saddle; she drives the new saddle down the driveway and personally places it on the horse. The $950 saddles and the $5,000 saddles she sells get the same attention. If something were ever not to be right (and several saddles and horses later they have always been perfect on the first try), it would be addressed in person and immediately.

    Honestly cannot believe the lack of customer attention to just mail stuff out and let the customer figure it out for that kind of money. Obviously if my saddle fitter can do it for $1,800 and they are raking int $5k per it won't exactly bankrupt the company, but I guess they just can't be bothered?

    Jaysus.
    Just curious....what kind of saddle do you ride in?



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpony321 View Post
    Just curious....what kind of saddle do you ride in?
    I ride in a Kent and Masters S series dressage saddle, an Albion Kontakt deep seat jump saddle, and an Albion Jewell flatter seat jump saddle. None cost more than $2,500 new, although I could have spent more on fancier leather options if I had wanted to. My saddle fitter sells many brands ranging from $950 - $5,000 in price, these are just the ones that worked best for me and my horses.

    I also like, but do not own (because I don't have enough different shaped horses to warrant it), Black Country saddles.

    I also wonder if for this whopping $5,000 a pop if the reps are required to be certified saddle fitters? Mine went through a process that is over three years long of testing and testing and more testing, completely independently from any brands that she sells, before she got her certification. Maybe this is why she can consistently get her saddles right on the first try?

    The CWD application for reps asks applicants absolutely nothing about what they already know about saddle fitting, although they are asked to "give us some riders [sic]names". Huh. For $5k I too can rattle off some "riders" names.
    Last edited by meupatdoes; Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

    Honestly, I cannot imagine spending $5,000 to have a saddle delivered to me by mail. My saddle fitter delivers $1,800 saddles IN PERSON.
    I agree that it is ridiculous that they would not come and see that it fits after the saddle is delivered. However, other companies will schedule a visit after your saddle has been delivered to make sure everything is OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul. 25, 2003
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    8,350

    Default

    NOTE: I am NOT talking about the OP or about CWD. This is a general statement that I am making based on the numerous threads on this board about finding a saddle that fits and ordering a custom saddle.

    Selling "custom" saddles is a pretty good gig. A customer pays $5K up front for a saddle that they see in 3-4 months. Most of these saddles aren't truly custom, they are "customized". In other words, they are assembled out of existing parts to fill a particular order. How close the saddle comes to fitting the horse and rider is completely dependent on the skill of the rep and whether or not the horse has changed shape in the four months that it takes for the saddle to arrive.

    The saddles are mailed to the customer who may or may not know enough about saddle fit to evaluate it. Sometimes everything seems great; other times it isn't as the customer remembers it or the saddle doesn't ride as well as the demo. Since saddles even from the same manufacturer can differ from piece to piece, that's always at least a bit of a gamble.

    That said, when I ordered my "customized" Roosli it was mailed directly to me. I consider myself very lucky that it fit me and my horse from the moment it came out of the box. I'm also lucky it only took about 5 weeks from the time the order was placed to when it arrived in the U.S. I love that saddle but would never order another custom saddle again. I vastly prefer to buy demo/used saddles that I can try and buy if they work and which I can show my own fitter (who does not sell saddles).
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I also wonder if for this whopping $5,000 a pop if the reps are required to be certified saddle fitters? Mine went through a process that is over three years long of testing and testing and more testing, completely independently from any brands that she sells, before she got her certification. Maybe this is why she can consistently get her saddles right on the first try?
    curious which program?



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    curious which program?
    Society of Master Saddlers.

    She not only qualified, then took the refresher course, she also lectures for them now.

    She has also had several articles published in Practical Horseman, which obviously is not a qualification in itself but speaks to her reputation.



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    NOTE: I am NOT talking about the OP or about CWD. This is a general statement that I am making based on the numerous threads on this board about finding a saddle that fits and ordering a custom saddle.

    Selling "custom" saddles is a pretty good gig. A customer pays $5K up front for a saddle that they see in 3-4 months. Most of these saddles aren't truly custom, they are "customized". In other words, they are assembled out of existing parts to fill a particular order. How close the saddle comes to fitting the horse and rider is completely dependent on the skill of the rep and whether or not the horse has changed shape in the four months that it takes for the saddle to arrive.

    The saddles are mailed to the customer who may or may not know enough about saddle fit to evaluate it. Sometimes everything seems great; other times it isn't as the customer remembers it or the saddle doesn't ride as well as the demo. Since saddles even from the same manufacturer can differ from piece to piece, that's always at least a bit of a gamble.

    That said, when I ordered my "customized" Roosli it was mailed directly to me. I consider myself very lucky that it fit me and my horse from the moment it came out of the box. I'm also lucky it only took about 5 weeks from the time the order was placed to when it arrived in the U.S. I love that saddle but would never order another custom saddle again. I vastly prefer to buy demo/used saddles that I can try and buy if they work and which I can show my own fitter (who does not sell saddles).
    As mentioned, this type of customer "service," while common, is not the only way. Better is out there.

    Perhaps if people start demanding personal delivery and independently certified reps, they will start getting it.



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,880

    Default

    I also find it a little mind blowing that reps for $$$$ saddles don't deliver them. You want a happy customer and to potentially meet other future customers. Every time you walk in the barn is a potential future sale?! Maybe not this exact minute, but viewing sales leads only in terms of who has a green bill in their hand THIS MOMENT is very short sighted. Everyone who buys is a customer for the future but ONLY IF YOU KEEP THEM HAPPY. And their friends/barnmates are leads but only if you're out there working at sales.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,602

    Default

    ^ Just from a SADDLE FITTING perspective I don't get it.

    Obviously if the customer were experienced enough to assess that a brand new saddle was built exactly correctly, and additionally account for any changes in the horse that may have occurred during the wait, they probably wouldn't be spending several thousand dollars on someone else's advice.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    ^ Just from a SADDLE FITTING perspective I don't get it.

    Obviously if the customer were experienced enough to assess that a brand new saddle was built exactly correctly, and additionally account for any changes in the horse that may have occurred during the wait, they probably wouldn't be spending several thousand dollars on someone else's advice.
    Who says some of these reps CARE about saddle FITTING? But certainly, they ought to at least care about saddle SALES!?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Who says some of these reps CARE about saddle FITTING? But certainly, they ought to at least care about saddle SALES!?
    They are the same saddles in the same shape (but different widths, I will grant you) with no gussetting options, no changeable gullets, and generally standard panels.

    The options for a saddle fitter who genuinely cares about fit for the horse are limited.



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Mar. 13, 2009
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celavie18 View Post
    This is interesting. The saddle I have is definitively not a deep seat. The notation under the flap indicates it is a SE 03. This website below describes SE 03 as a "flat seat" but my saddle looks nothing like the one pictured.

    http://www.pennystevenson.co.nz/cwd/saddles/se03.html

    My saddle looks like this:

    http://cwdsellier.com/product/PONY+SADDLE/822

    I understand custom means things do not look the same, but it seems like my saddle doesn't exist...could it be so custom made that it looks like 2 models put together? I have contacted the rep and he his coming out this week. I'm afraid though...what if he tries to convince me to keep it? Aestheticly, I like the saddle, but safety wise, I can't hang on with the small/flat seat and the nearly non-existent knee roll.

    Thanks for everyone's reply
    What specifically is it about your saddle that looks like the pony saddle? Is it the design/stitching of the flaps? Or the general shape of the seat/positioning of the panels? Because those are the calf-skin saddle flaps, available on any model of saddle.

    It is possible that you got the seat of the SEO3 (a flat seat) with calf-skin flaps. The saddles shown in the pictures are probably not a 16.5", which I find looks a bit "taller" from the bottom to top of the seat, no matter which model it is.

    With your height and weight, I don't think a 16.5" is out of the realm of possibilities.

    When I got my CWD (SEO1 in calf-skin) it felt rather uncomfortable and not like what I remembered. I felt like my legs were swinging around all over the place, it was pushing me out of position and I felt tipped forward. I talked to my rep (who is not very local to me) and I stuck it out and did the two weeks of riding. Once it was broken in, the feel was completely different and I honestly can say I haven't ridden in anything else I find as comfortable as my saddle.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh,Pennsylvaina
    Posts
    4,029

    Default

    any update??



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct. 24, 2012
    Posts
    52

    Default

    it's great that your trainer sees the problem as well, the rep will take it more seriously. They should definitely make it right.

    It's when you really stop trusting the company and you ask for a refund that it becomes a nightmare. The rep and trainer lose their commissions if saddler agrees to a refund... and yes if your trainer is sponsored by CWD, she did get a commission on that sale.
    That's why you need to be careful when saddle shopping and generally take lightly the advice from trainers who pretend to be all over one brand and keep recommending only this specific brand. Just like reps, they might just be all over their commissions...

    OP, the good news is that you went for the current "hottest" French brand, so if worse comes to worst you won't have a problem selling it or trading it in. I really think they'll fix it though, but it sounds like you'll have to wait for a new saddle to be made.



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2004
    Location
    Pottstown, PA (East Coventry)
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PassionForSaddles View Post
    It's when you really stop trusting the company and you ask for a refund that it becomes a nightmare. The rep and trainer lose their commissions if saddler agrees to a refund... and yes if your trainer is sponsored by CWD, she did get a commission on that sale.
    FWI- CWD has a 25% restocking fee. I was considering having a CWD made for my REALLY hard to fit horse. I decided to pass since even if CWD could not make me a saddle that worked for him and they agreed they could not make it I would have a 25% restocking fee. I could not afford to take an $1,100 hit. CWD was willing to lower that restocking fee to $700. Still not something I was willing to take a chance on.
    Mind you the rep and I had spoken about her return rate and that Stubben was not comfortable making a custom for this horse due to his back conformation. At no point did she point out the 25% restocking fee. I tend to read everything so read the back of the paperwork before placing my order. Good thing. In retrospect I don't think that the CWD would have ever worked for my horse's conformation so the restocking fee being unpaletable kept CWD and me from being frustrated and disappointed.

    OP- I hope everything works out for you.
    Last edited by SonnysMom; Mar. 20, 2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling fix
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun. 24, 2012, 08:08 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Sep. 4, 2011, 09:06 AM
  3. Custom or Semi-custom show coat help please!
    By cuonxc in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar. 17, 2011, 10:58 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct. 18, 2010, 09:10 PM
  5. custom or semi custom boots options - ARGH!
    By Mayaty02 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jun. 17, 2010, 02:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness