The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Custom CWD doesn't fit...what to do?

Hi everyone, I just joined and would really appreciate some guidance.

The CWD rep came out to my barn, very nice guy. He explained the process of fitting. I tried 2 saddles, both 17in, normal/long flap. I chose a close contact. He said I needed a 16.5in, not a 17in (the size I normally ride in). He also said I would get a shorter flap because I am short in stature. I trusted his judgement, he is the saddle fitter. I chose buffalo leather and paid $5000.

Waited about 3 1/2 months. The saddle came, but it looked different than what I remembered (different style). I overlooked the style, I was ok, I was more focused on the fit. Turns out, the saddle doesn't fit me at all!

The seat size is too small, the flaps are too short (rubs me), and the flap is not large enough/forward enough, so my knee has no where to rest when I jump. I fear for my safety in this saddle. I called the rep and he is coming out this week.

Is CWD good about repairing issues such as these?
    Would CWD rebuild a new saddle if needed?

I am hopeful, but worried...thank you for any helpful comments

Quote Originally Posted by Celavie18 View Post
    Hi everyone, I just joined and would really appreciate some guidance.

The CWD rep came out to my barn, very nice guy. He explained the process of fitting. I tried 2 saddles, both 17in, normal/long flap. I chose a close contact. He said I needed a 16.5in, not a 17in (the size I normally ride in). He also said I would get a shorter flap because I am short in stature. I trusted his judgement, he is the saddle fitter. I chose buffalo leather and paid $5000.

Waited about 3 1/2 months. The saddle came, but it looked different than what I remembered (different style). I overlooked the style, I was ok, I was more focused on the fit. Turns out, the saddle doesn't fit me at all!

The seat size is too small, the flaps are too short (rubs me), and the flap is not large enough/forward enough, so my knee has no where to rest when I jump. I fear for my safety in this saddle. I called the rep and he is coming out this week.

I am hopeful, but worried...thank you for any helpful comments
    You don't mention how small you are but a 16.5 CWD is for slighter riders (sometimes a small rider will be "moved up" a seat size to accommodate a longer femur, less frequently a rep will suggest a rider go down a seat size to accommodate a shorter femur) - note seat size has changed a bit through the years/models.

Is CWD good about repairing issues such as these?
    they can be

Would CWD rebuild a new saddle if needed?
    they can be

It usually takes time & some convincing on the part of the rider but just remain clear in your convictions - from your perspective, it's better to get the rebuild etc started immediately; from the company's perspective, they do state an expected "break in" time so they do want the new owner to do this (sometimes it's the answer, other times, not so much) ...

If you have no saddle to ride your horse in (which is why you bought a custom), then insist that CWD supply a demo saddle while yours in being sorted or remade - note this ONLY works if your horse is a decent fit for their tree & panels.

the flap is not large enough/forward enough, so my knee has no where to rest when I jump. I fear for my safety in this saddle
    On this basis, I'd refuse to ride in this saddle - hopefully your rep will agree on these points & immediately offer a demo saddle & to have your order sorted

Have your rep out as soon as possible & don't worry too much in the meantime, chances are, you'll end up with the saddle you want, it'll just take more time. Do raise the issue of the unexpected style change

3 members found this post helpful.

Obviously the first step in a situation like this is to contact the company...

and yes, I would expect that they would remedy it and fairly quickly. I had an issue with a saddle recently (not their fault, I was not the one to order it and there were mistakes made on my end) and they took it back and made a new one that is beautiful.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    and yes, I would expect that they would remedy it and fairly quickly.
    I forgot that OP is in Ca, yes, resolution should be quick ...

1 members found this post helpful.

I am 5'2" and 118 lbs...with a larger backside. I have a 21in measurement from knee to back of buttocks when sitting on horse. Websites suggest a 17in seat. I am puzzled as to rep's decision about a 16.5in seat.

The style I have (SE 06) is not listed on the CWD website. Interestingly, the picture of the pony saddle is exactly what my saddle looks like! (although the pony style is listed as SE 19).

Regarding the flaps, no "breaking in" can change the sizing. Not only did I feel unsafe, but my trainer felt uneasy about it as well, ending our lesson early, urging me to call the rep.

I'm glad to hear CWD is reasonable about making changes, rebuilding, etc. I guess I just need to be firm about my convictions. The saddle is quite beautiful though.

Thanks for the help

I know that CWD will do everything to make sure you have a saddle that is perfect for you. The company has always given me the freedom to make things right and ensure a satisfied customer. Even the best fitters don't get it right 100% of the time. If he needs to make you a new saddle he will, he will also make sure you have something you can ride in in the mean time. If you would like to PM me I'd be curious to see the flap notations. I'm the fitter in the Pacific Northwest so if you have other questions before he arrives PM me.

4 members found this post helpful.

Regarding the flaps, no "breaking in" can change the sizing. Not only did I feel unsafe, but my trainer felt uneasy about it as well, ending our lesson early, urging me to call the rep.
    Agree, but it can change the feel of the seat quite a bit (enough perhaps that you might feel you prefer the smaller seat, though I agree that based on your stats, I'd be inclined to a 17).
    I prefer to have the rep out for that initial Saddle Meet Horse

The saddle is quite beautiful though.
    Absolutely!

So sorry you had this disappointment.

When my saddle came the panels did not fit my gelding at all after the 2 week breaking in period. My poor gelding was getting awful rubs from the saddle. They sent the rep out, who agreed, and sent it back to have new panels put on with a bit more lift in the back. I was extremely frustrated with the company due to the reps communication skills and the fact that from the time I ordered my saddle (aug 2011) through May 2012 I was without a properly fitting saddle after spending close to $5,000. I spoke to the manager and received $150 voucher. Not that it made the situation any better, but they were apologetic. Luckily I had a saddle that fit decently in the mean time, otherwise I would have insisted on a demo to use in the mean time. Good luck! Stick to your guns and be insistent on your wants/needs!

Thank you all for your input/help and good wishes

I don't have a saddle to use, I haven't had one for a while. If they need to rebuild/fix my current one, I could sure use a loaner/demo.

On another note, I am thinking that perhaps the style I received is not the style I desired/ordered...has that ever happened to anyone?

Thanks!

They should have a satisfaction guarantee if you call them within a certain period of time. When I ordered my DelGrange, I had a week to decide if I liked it or didn't (I didn't, and it was actually my fault that it didn't fit as I ordered it 4 weeks after I had my babies, and by the time it came I had lost all my baby weight & it was too big). The rep came back out and I ended up ordering a different model, which took forever and a day to get here, but it was SO worth the wait.

CWD should definitely make it right, but don't delay in calling them.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

CWD should do what it takes to make the situation right. Be sure to give them a chance to do so.

When I got my saddle (Delgrange) I was surprised...it didn't look like I expected. I kind of freaked out a bit, but decided to give it a chance. Turns out the rep was exactly right about how it would break in.

However, it fit me and my horse, so I wasn't dealing with any of that, just an aesthetic issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BABYGREENTB View Post
    When I ordered my DelGrange,.
    I didn't realize you ended up with a Delgrange.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post

I didn't realize you ended up with a Delgrange.
    I did! I ended up with the Athena (which I think is what you have, right?). I absolutely love it & more importantly, B LOVES it. It took literally a full 6 months to get here, but it was worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by BABYGREENTB View Post
    I did! I ended up with the Athena (which I think is what you have, right?). I absolutely love it & more importantly, B LOVES it. It took literally a full 6 months to get here, but it was worth the wait.
    I do have the Athena. I'm happy to hear it worked out for you and B. Having a nice saddle, whatever the brand, that both you and your horse like is worth the stress getting it just right.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I do have the Athena. I'm happy to hear it worked out for you and B. Having a nice saddle, whatever the brand, that both you and your horse like is worth the stress getting it just right.
    100% agree.

To circle back around to the OP, I can't imagine CWD wouldn't make it right. It's not good business for them to have unhappy customers, and they would not have been able to build such a successful brand if they weren't good at what they do.

And, if worse comes to worse, go Delgrange

FWIW, here's the 06:

http://www.pennystevenson.co.nz/cwd/saddles/se06.html

I can't imagine paying $5k for a saddle and not having it perfect. I hope they make it right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    FWIW, here's the 06:

http://www.pennystevenson.co.nz/cwd/saddles/se06.html

I can't imagine paying $5k for a saddle and not having it perfect. I hope they make it right for you.
    yes this is the deep seat saddle, quite popular in Europe but almost inexistent in the US.

Over the 7 years I worked as office manager at CWD, we sold maybe 25 of these.

OP, your rep is a personal friend and the office girls should be great with customer service, you're in good hands!

2 members found this post helpful.

I hope that you get taken care of promptly.

I've only ordered a custom saddle once and was very glad when it arrived exactly as expected!

For the most part, I am thankful my current horse is an easy fit and that I've been able to find my other saddles off the shelf. I know many people who try to buy demo saddles just because they know it will fit.

I can't imagine paying $5K and finding out there was a mistake . . . and then having to wait for them to build another saddle.

Maybe you can get a demo to ride in?
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Actually, I was confused when I typed SE 06. So many numbers... I actually received a SE 03. Very flat seat, close contact and looks like the pony saddle on the CWD website. The thing is, it is not the style I remember agreeing upon. I sure hope I can get this figured out.

SE03 should be the deep seated model. SE01 is their flat seat model, SE02 is their medium deep model. At least that's how they were labeled when I ordered mine in 2011.
    Contact CWD ASAP!

It's entirely possible they shipped you a saddle meant for somebody else----mistakes happen like that, so I would suggest that possibility.