The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another boot thread -- need waterproof boots for walking

I need boots that don't get terribly hot (so leather would be better than rubber), waterproof, and have good arch support. When hubby's not here I'm handwalking 2 horses 3 miles a day in addition to the farm work, so the shoes need to be good for walking.

I've been using Terrains and they're OK, but the last pair wasn't waterproof at all and had to use Camp Dry on them right away.

My feet are wide and what works for me is the Ariat Quantum Devon Pro Men's. They have a waterproof model, but I apply Snow Seal to my waterproof and non-waterproof pair with excellent results (warm the leather and apply). I have two pair and live in them as they are so comfortable. The older pair is 4 years old and still going strong. I wear them daily. My feet need cushioning and these seem to never lose the shock absorbing property.

Waterproof leather boots are hard to make because when leather is sewn a hole is punched by the needle. So unless you can fill the hole with something water is likely to leak in. Also, thread can "wick" moisture in even the hole is otherwise sealed with some product. Once water gets even a small "access point" it will just act as water always does.

To keep feet dry inside books get something like SealSkins (a waterproof oversock) to wear under the boots.

To protect the leather as best you can there are many treatments out there. I'd contact the maker of any boot I wanted to try and treat and ask them what, if anything, will do the job.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I have Merrell hiking boots. I bought them at Eastern Mountain Sports. DH has them in high top for winter and low cut for summer. He lives in his on the weekends and after work during the week.
    They have different insoles available for different arches. They do have water resistent and water proof so make sure you read the labels carefully. They are not leather though. I don't find them to be heavy. They will run you about $120.

If you happen to be a size 8 I have a pair that is too small for me. I could ship them up. I made the mistake of trying them on with the wrong socks. They are also only water resistent but if you rewaterproof them they should last for a bit. At least long enough to know if you like that brand.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Sonnysmom, which model do you have? I need to find a new pair for spring/summer since my dubarry knockoffs are wearing out. I'd like something that breathes and is comforable all day.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Sonnysmom, which model do you have? I need to find a new pair for spring/summer since my dubarry knockoffs are wearing out. I'd like something that breathes and is comforable all day.
    I will check when I get home. Mine are the high top. I just got DH new low ones for summer and I will check his.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I wear Blundstones and find them both waterproof and very comfortable. I wear to ride and also walk around in. Did a ride once where we went through a river up past my horse's belly for about 500 ft, feet got splashed a lot and my feet stayed totally dry. Socks weren't even damp.
    Another approach might be you just buying NikWax which does a good job of water-proofing leather. I use that to recondition the Blunnies about once a year. You clean your own boots, condition with NikWax and then let dry overnight. Worth a try...
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

If you are looking more for hiking boots (rather than for riding,) the Vasque Sundowners would fit all your criteria.
    http://www.backcountry.com/vasque-su...tx-boot-womens
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I love my Blundstones but would never call them waterproof. These are the 500s, the ones you usually see in the tack catalogs, and they are just leather boots with no special sealing, etc., and I get wet feet in the wash rack.

I just got a new pair of the Ariat Terrain zip paddocks this winter -- the new design is shorter and I find them to be more comfortable than my old pair -- and they've been waterproof so far, but can't say they've been tested that much.

I have some Rockport (non-horsey) waterproof lace up hiking boots that are waterproof and super comfortable. Leather. I'm sure I bought them on sale somewhere. They would probably work well for what you are describing, although any leather boot may not hold up to manure/urine if used for mucking too. Maybe checking REI or similar places for some waterproof hiking boots would be the best plan, as others are suggesting.

Go to an outdoor store/website. Find thee Gore-Tex hiking shoes/boots. Done.

grayarabpony is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I ordered a pair of Gore-tex Merrill hiking boots.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    DH has the Merrell Moab Low WP. He loves them