The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quarter Horses...I LOVE 'em, but they frequently have a little buck in them while warming up. I love my Arabians too...they don't buck (although they can do a joyful kick-out in the back when they start to canter on the trail) (but I don't call that a buck...their head never goes down lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I have had many horse ridden many more, And truthfully the worst buckers I remember were a few apps. Not to say other breeds aren't good buckers, my TB could buck better than some broncs I have seen! LOL
    Love the way my appy mare bucks. First she tells me "in a minute I'm going to buck if you don't let me do this or that". Then in a minute her front feet go off the ground a foot or so, then the back feet a foot or so. It's kinda like being in a rocking chair. Makes me laugh.

My other horse on the other hand, breed unknown but paso people seem to think he is a paso although he doesn't gait WOW.

Waaay up in the air and then he is no longer there as you plummet to the ground.
    After two times of that I no longer ride him. Seventy two year old bones have no business hitting the ground that hard.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

2 members found this post helpful.

Just going to chime in to say that after many years of starting Arabians under saddle, I will agree that it is rare for them to buck, but...... two of the very worst falls I've ever had were from an Arabian and a Half-Arabian who broke in half like top grade rodeo stock. So, they surely CAN buck.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

3 members found this post helpful.

I did hear that the Nez Pearce and Soux were such fierce fighters as they rode Appaloosas to the wars and they were p'd off by the time they got the buck out of them

Calgary Exhibition and Stampede Ranch breed bucking horses and they say..anything that bucks with style crossed with Clydesdale/TB

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    Love the way my appy mare bucks. First she tells me "in a minute I'm going to buck if you don't let me do this or that". Then in a minute her front feet go off the ground a foot or so, then the back feet a foot or so. It's kinda like being in a rocking chair. Makes me laugh.

My other horse on the other hand, breed unknown but paso people seem to think he is a paso although he doesn't gait WOW.

Waaay up in the air and then he is no longer there as you plummet to the ground.
    After two times of that I no longer ride him. Seventy two year old bones have no business hitting the ground that hard.
    LOL this made me laugh. I just bought a 4 yr old quiet QH filly. I still got some buckaroo left in me if needed (so far, whew, I haven't). With a little luck she will be the one I ride into my seventies. Sure want to be hanging up my rodeo skills by then too
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Overall, the worst breed for me, bucking and acting up has been Paints. My daughters and I have analyzed WHY we've had such trouble with Paints. Doesn't matter the color, could be BS, as long as the designation was "Paint", we had trouble with it. It got to the point we avoided buying them for resale. I mean bucked off, stepped on, kicked at, generally PITA's. In all the years, there was ONE Paint who made the grade and I sold him to a banker's wife. She rode him for years on their mini-ranch. But the others? Nope, never worked out.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilykoi View Post
    LOL this made me laugh. I just bought a 4 yr old quiet QH filly. I still got some buckaroo left in me if needed (so far, whew, I haven't). With a little luck she will be the one I ride into my seventies. Sure want to be hanging up my rodeo skills by then too
    Those horses safe for us older people are worth their weight in gold.
    My best riding buddy just gave up riding because her horse, while a good boy, will whirl and try to bolt if he comes up on something on the trail that scares him. At seventy five she has decided it's not worth the risk to continue to ride.
    Really sad.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

1 members found this post helpful.

I used to own a quarter horse paint mare that should have been in the rodeo. She bucked me off so hard she almost sent me sailing over a 5' fence. A friend recommended a gaited horse, told me gaited horses can't buck. Let me tell you a gaited horse can buck just like a quarter horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

By far the most votes on this thread are for QHs, paints, stock horse types. All of which have very wide shoulders, backs, oh heck they tend to be rather wide. Makes me wonder if a lot of that is due to saddle fit issues? My personal experience has been that my QH have been the truly difficult ones to fit for just that reason.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Quote Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
    By far the most votes on this thread are for QHs, paints, stock horse types. All of which have very wide shoulders, backs, oh heck they tend to be rather wide. Makes me wonder if a lot of that is due to saddle fit issues? My personal experience has been that my QH have been the truly difficult ones to fit for just that reason.
    Yerno, that is a thought. I have been thinking back over the years but still, didn't have that much trouble with Apps or QH's, very little in fact, compared to the Paints. I may have been TroublewithPainthorses central for all I know.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Apr. 29, 2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Saddle fit is certainly food for thought. Especially 'back in the day.'

But I can tell you that when my little mare got me off w/NFR quality moves (hey, I MADE the 8 seconds but she didn't stop!), the saddle fit was fine, the sequence was initiated by a bee sting and escalated because well, she'd never bucked under saddle before, and so it scared her, so she bucked harder.

She's never offered that buck under saddle since- at most, a crow hop when she gets stung and for some reason she's a magnet for stinging insects so it happens several times a year. But when turned out, she does wow the crowd with her moves.

Lol seems that everyone is saying buckskin QH or a pony, sadly that's exactly what I own, a buckskin quarter pony! He's not all that bad though. He'll only buck when trying to get a lead change now and then. He used to do them when he was younger and I asked more of him on the flat, but now he just knows his job and I rarely have problems with his legs flying up.