The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pat9 View Post
    The horse most guaranteed to buck is the one you've just been bragging on and/or have listed for sale.
    yes, and as I found out, any horse I am looking at named "Bucky" (yes, he was a buckskin and no, his name had nothing to do with his color)

1 members found this post helpful.

Not sure if this counts, I had a Quarab, and he could buck and convort his body(kind of a twisting motion) while bucking, but needless to say I have a good seat from the experience!
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    The only horses we ever had a problem with really bucking were QH's and the only one that nearly killed one of us bucking was a QH. I think they're bred for game and aggressiveness and athleticism so if they want to buck they will hand you your hat a few times. There are lines of QH's that are known to buck, like the Blue Valentine (watch a blue roan!) and the breeding lines for bucking stock saddle horses are usually a draft/QH cross.
    Interestingly, when I lived in NM I rode horses at the University. One summer, we had a "remedial horse" class to accustom the "wiley" donated horses to being ridden again. The one horse who bucked me off (and not just once but several times) was a little QH named Valentine. I wonder if she was of this line. She'd buck any time a horse/rider came by her in the ring. And pretty much one buck would do it - she was an athletic little charmer...
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

My fullbred QH never bucks.

But my appendix..... dear gawd. At least once per ride. Sometimes three dozen times per ride. Its his version of giving me the finger. He is full of attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    I will admit I was thinking the same thing. Those horses are the saints of the horse-world for what they put up with.
    I agree...the few TWHs that I know are so kind. They want to be good and don't want to get in trouble.

I've had the most problems with Quarter Horses.

I haven't ridden mine since he threw me off and broke my ribs...for getting on him. For the record, I got back on him, since I was so mad...where he tried to throw me again...unsuccessfully. Then I realized how sore I was...

He also threw a friend off hard, and into a fence, because she asked him to walk (this was several years ago) and has given me some bad concussions and various injuries.

Apparently, from his bloodlines, he's from racing QH stock.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post

I realize, of course, that ANY breed CAN buck. What i was curious about was of the horses you know that buck, Which breed seems to buck under saddle more than others.
    First, you need to clarify. Are you talking about a full on, dirty buck with head between the knees, no warning and trying to get the rider off, or are you talking about a healthy and happy horse that may just be feeling really good and full of energy and throwing in a buck? There is a big difference between the two.

It has to be said, this question is just ridiculous. As a trainer, the last thing I would ever consider when a horse bucks is what breed they are. Horses buck for any number of reasons, often one of the top reasons is because of pain somewhere - an ill-fitting saddle that is pinching somewhere or putting pressure somewhere, sore back, sore feet, ulcers, teeth in need of floating, etc., etc. And then you have the ones that are on too high of an energy diet or the ones that have been poorly started or trained under saddle. All of these things happen regardless of breed.

It would be no different than trying to ask, what nationality of human children throw the most temper tantrums!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    First, you need to clarify. Are you talking about a full on, dirty buck with head between the knees, no warning and trying to get the rider off, or are you talking about a healthy and happy horse that may just be feeling really good and full of energy and throwing in a buck? There is a big difference between the two.

It has to be said, this question is just ridiculous. As a trainer, the last thing I would ever consider when a horse bucks is what breed they are. Horses buck for any number of reasons, often one of the top reasons is because of pain somewhere - an ill-fitting saddle that is pinching somewhere or putting pressure somewhere, sore back, sore feet, ulcers, teeth in need of floating, etc., etc. And then you have the ones that are on too high of an energy diet or the ones that have been poorly started or trained under saddle. All of these things happen regardless of breed.

It would be no different than trying to ask, what nationality of human children throw the most temper tantrums!
    Don't get your panties in a twist. I have stated over and again that this is about opinions, and it has actually turned into a good thread, as it seems QH are very prone to bucking, and Arabs are not. Could be a body type situation, could be bred into them, There are many variables. I don't think the question is ridiculous at all. it was done in the spirit of fun.

4 members found this post helpful.

Have a barn full of QHs and none of them buck under saddle. Started out with Saddlebreds as a kid. They were natural shod and never bucked under saddle. My TB chestnut mare never bucked under saddle. That being said, they can/could all buck like a rodeo horse when turned out. So not sure its breed specific. Think its more the horse understanding the difference between play time and going to work.
    I'm not a task master either, just somehow my horses all seem to know the difference. Could just be luck ;-)
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

To judge by NFR and its "Born to Buck" program - I'd say draft crosses!!! LOL

Definitely ponies!

Especially the pony that you just told a kid's mother is "a saint".

Growing up I had a pony that regularly bucked me off. I never knew when, where, or what was going to set her off, but I ate a lot of dirt for many years!

I especially loved it when she would buck me off on the trail and run back home. I really miss that pony - she was awesome!

ETA: My current horse is an Appendix QH. I don't think bucking is in her vocabulary. Spooking and spinning me off is more her style.
    Last edited by PaintPony; Mar. 20, 2013 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    it seems QH are very prone to bucking,

I don 't think one could conclude this at all!! This is all purely anecdotal experience, based on the very limited sample of people here, and what they happen to own and breeds with which they have had experience. QHs are NOT "very prone to bucking" necessarily - some sure will and others absolutely, with firecrackers up their ass, will not. Bucking is not a big plus in doing ranch work, so in terms of a breed trait, if it were the case, they would not be very popular for routine tasks or for packing (and they are popular for these). But they are very common, and QH crosses are very common, so statistically its more likely someone might have a QH or cross than, say a Teke (I have no idea but I am guessing over here they are not all that common), and bucking is a relatively common behavior. While I think it is interesting to consider build and so forth, and certainly the thread is fun, I would not draw that conclusion about QHs!!

2 members found this post helpful.

In the year + I've leased her, the QH I ride has bucked a grand total of once. Rode some sort of schoolie warmblood for a while that would do the little crow-hop bucks when he had decided he Really Did Not Want To Go Forward. But they were easy to sit through. Not sure that they really count.

The other warmblood I leased for a time could really buck. As in one minute, you're on top and the next you're on the ground going "Whuh happund?" The first time she got pissy at a horse that was too close (in her estimation) and bucked me off at the canter. The second time, she may have, initially, spooked at something skeery in the bushes. Never was sure.

That particular mare has... issues... so I'm inclined to ascribe them to that, rather than the breed in general. (I adore/d her though.)

Well, do we mean INCLINED to buck? or good at it when they do?

I've had four Appies - Two Foundation, one race bred, and the present "Araloosa." First three - eh! One of the Foundation guys would crowhop if he didn't approve of your spur use, the other two - "Buck? Too much work!" The present beastie, while he has finally calmed down (most of the time) was initially a very accomplished bucker. I didn't start him myself, but the colt starter said that an observer when she first saddled him and he ...um....reacted, commented, "you're never going to be able to ride THAT one." As it turned out, he was pretty quiet when she did get on. And he was quiet with me - for about four months. Then DST ended, and winter arrived...and so did the rodeo. At one point, since I usually ride alone at night, I was lungeing only during the week and only getting on him on weekends when there were people around! I would lead him up to the mounting block, I would mount, and the minute I got settled in the saddle and rode him forward from the block, he would squat, semi-rear like a bronc coming out of the chute, and take off bucking. I mastered "disengaging the hindquarters" immedateily upon mounting, and that pretty much ended that ploy, but for another year or so, it was...interesting. So. Three Appies that didn't buck and one that does: Do I blame the Arabian part? LOL

I generally agree with QHs on both counts. Most bucks and better at it. Usually intentional because they want to get you off, period. Not "feel good" bucks.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I read this thread with interest as I HATE bucks, riding them, being catapulted into the air and landing flat on my back/side- cringe at the thought as there is nothing 'fun' about it. One of the first questions I've learned to ask when horse shopping.

Of the 'breeds' I have had (QH; appendix; paint; haflinger; t/b cross; saddlebred)over the years, I can't say one breed was worse than the other. They all bucked at some point(some of them were just nasty) with the exception of the saddlebreds which is what I find myself going back to (they make nice sporthorse types believe it or not). Overall I think that breed just tends to react differently both physcially and mentally, they tend to be true to their 'uphill' conformation and raise their heads and hollow their back when startled (mine are trained for dressage)- thus providing a nice 'seat belt' for the rider- necks become a speed bump so to speak. They also usually let me have input as to where their feet are which I appreciate as I age.

MOST important I found the bad buckers I've had really don't seem have a good work ethic and could care less about their rider. The ones that have that initial "high instinct" reaction that takes alot of effort to get their attention back, or just plain lazy and disinterested and mad that you are asking them to do something. They don't 'engage' with their rider on the ground or under saddle. Hard to explain- I like a horse that 'checks in' with me by giving me an ear every few seconds- these are the ones that are more enjoyable IMO, regardless of breed.

I'd say not a particular breed, but ponies, period! They're darned sneaky about it, too.

My mare is a barefoot, pleasure ridden Saddlebred who has never bucked one time in 8 years.
    She does however have the Saddlebred intelligence and train ability. Bucking and the like is beneath her, how rude!

3 members found this post helpful.

I have a paint mare Zips Chocolate Chip/Hot Scotch Man lines and she is the meanest nastiest bucker I have ever met. She's so bad that when the local rodeo was hosted at my barn I found bronc riders *in her stall* and when I walked up to inquire WTF they wanted to buy her. She has put me in the hospital and the one time I didn't come off she tried to roll on me. Great ground manners, sweet as can be but she can buck like a NFR horse and often does. Nothing physically wrong. Just...prefers bucking to all else. Oh and she's 14.2 so a pony to boot.
    glimmerling

Member Appaloosa lovers clique

That's so weird. All the QHs I've known or ridden have been the super tolerant types that wouldn't buck if you tied dynamite to their tails, and even if they did buck you could barely feel it. The worst buckers I've seen (dirtiest, scariest) have been big, athletic, young WBs. The happy-happy-joy-joy buckers (excitement rather than ill-intent) have been TBs. I guess it's all a matter of perspective and what you've been exposed to!! Maybe I just think this way because proportionately, I've been exposed to more WBs and TBs than QHs or other breeds.

I agree about ponies. Ponies do whatever ponies feel like doing, bucking or otherwise. That's why I love them so much!!!