The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    So, I think TBs like to rear. Training or genetics? anyone?
    I think TBs like to play hard and are athletic, so they use the full range of horsey expressions in as many ways as they can and in an extreme a way as possible. My two (mare and gelding, both 7) are CRAZY in turnout and they get mostly hay and minimal grain. They buck and run in tandem, alternating the side they twist and buck on. My mare, who is one of the quietest horses in the barn under saddle, is a scary rearer in turnout (she's long and tall and when she goes straight up, she looks like the Empire State Building).

Observing many bucking strings over the years, I have yet to see an Arab or Saddlebred-type horse in them. Draft-crosses with any of the western breeds, all colors, predominate. Not only are they big and powerful, I think that straight draft shoulder makes them harder to ride when they turn it on. Stock contractors won't choose one color over another, but a good flashy horse sure doesn't hurt. Since QH-type horses are common as dirt, they're the most available crossbred to have on hand when you're trying out bucking horses, and of course, there are those bloodlines that like to stick you in the ground headfirst.

Morgans would be harder to spot unless it was a classic Lippitt horse. There might be some of them, but I've never noticed them.

The horse most guaranteed to buck is the one you've just been bragging on and/or have listed for sale.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

4 members found this post helpful.

The horse most guaranteed to buck is the one you've just been bragging on and/or have listed for sale.
    truer words have never been spoken!

1 members found this post helpful.

three words:

fat chestnut QH

2 members found this post helpful.

Snort the retired five gaited ASB could throw a buck, one of those kick up the hind feet ones, over his own head when he was a little younger. One of the things my trainer is always fussing about is making sure their heads are up, she claims they cannot kick if this is so.

Now, what kinds of bucking are we talking about? The head down, grunting twisting rodeo kind or the kick up the heels?

My mare was a real Heinz 57 with two old brands, she was also a minimalist. Turn down hill, yank head down and a little hump in the back, get me off every time.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

As a breeder of several types, I cannot say there is a breed that is predisposed to bucking.

But I can say, that within a few months of age, you can detect what I call a "front end" reaction or a "back end" reaction to something they do not like. The front end youngsters tend to respond by rearing, the back ends tend to responds by turning and bucking.

Clearly, the back end responders are easier to deal with than the front end horses, as there is little less disarming than a horse coming at you with both front feet when you "supposedly" have control of their head/body (if that is their tendency to respond to something the don't understand or object to).

Just my antecdotal observation over many.

Neither are acceptable. With good, methodical training one should not get either as an adult horse.

Not sure if I'm articulating this well. Horses can only answer in a few ways to what they don't "like"...bucking, rearing, biting.

One can see this early on in a baby's personality when they are confused or not getting clear and fair leadership from their human handler..and of course in others as they grow without proper training or with undetected physical problems.

IME, behaviors of one sort of another, may be more prevalent in some breeds, like higher strung TBs (bred to be that way to race and run, run, run)...but they are not generally breed specific.

Most of the Arabs that have misbehaved in my life are more the Peppy LePew boinging than a buck. Or just spooking, which sometimes I think is just out of pure boredom.

Some of the stock horses, especially the smart, working horses have a wicked whole body twisting buck. My favorite are the ones that go up in front, land, and then crack their backs and launch the rider. They are often great horses, just need a little more riding than some horses and need a job. Get them into a program and not a squeak out of them.

A cool draft/QH cross I rode a bit was a bit buddy sour and decided to demonstrate it by bucking and just carrying on being a jerk. I didn't realize that horses could buck going down a fairly steep hill. He was quite an athlete too, which was surprising because he kind of looked like a marshmallow.

But any breed can buck. The athletic ones are just more entertaining to try and stay on. I do think some breeds try other misbehaviors before they get to the bucking point, besides the occasional horse that does the exuberant buck thing (my dad's OTTB being an example. Never a crazy buck, but WOW! We are actually cantering, small kick up the heels).

...Yes, horses of any breed that are uber-athletic can do the deeds in a more "meaningful" way than those less endowed.

Those are the real athletes!
    Last edited by sid; Mar. 18, 2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: typos

While Saddlebreds can drop their head, buck like a bronc, complete with grunt and bellow sound effects... they are really much more talented at launching themselves like the trajectory of Pegasus at take off, then landing stiff legged and pulling the pogo stick routine. My current horse's particular talent is going straight up off all four and jack knifing in mid air.

3 members found this post helpful.

QHs and ponies. I always say "If you want to find out if a kid really wants to ride horses, just get them a pony. Sure will weed them out" I am so thankful for the rotten, nasty, biggest bag of tricks you ever did see ponies we had as kids. What a wonderful education they gave me indeed.

i started the thread only with the interest to get everyone'
    s opinions on the breeds they know have been the most bucky. ( i should have clarified under saddle)

I realize, of course, that ANY breed CAN buck. What i was curious about was of the horses you know that buck, Which breed seems to buck under saddle more than others.

It is interesting that the downhill horses are the buckers, too. Never realized a lot of QH are built that way. My good friend has a 6 yr old who's rear end is 16.2, and his withers are just slightly under that. Maybe i should warn her.. LOL

Basically any mare that 1) Doesn't like how you ride, 2) Doesn't like what you wore that day 3) Doesn't like your new hair-cut (Bangs do NOT suit you apparently) 4) or just doesn't like YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    QHs and ponies. I always say "If you want to find out if a kid really wants to ride horses, just get them a pony. Sure will weed them out" I am so thankful for the rotten, nasty, biggest bag of tricks you ever did see ponies we had as kids. What a wonderful education they gave me indeed.
    and only a few scars...

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    There are lines of QH's that are known to buck, like the Blue Valentine (watch a blue roan!) and the breeding lines for bucking stock saddle horses are usually a draft/QH cross.
    Well, my heavily Blue Valentine bred blue roan has never offered to buck under saddle so far. I've had him 4 years. He is definitely one of the most jaw dropping airs above the ground bucker I have seen when he's out playing in the field, but never when I'm riding. I'm thankful for that. He is definitely an athletic horse.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Stock horses of the hefty and lazy sort. I have seen more bucking out of fat, lazy QH (or cobs, while in the UK) types than any other. Usually not the kind of bucking that gets anyone off, just the kind that says "I don't WANT to canter/trot/move!". The worst buckers I have known, however, were two chestnut TB mares. Holy cow, those girls could crack their backs. I managed to stay on both of them but it was 100% dumb luck. My geldings (TB and Arabian) are both bunny hoppers when they get to feeling like punks. They hump their backs and bounce up and down without the back feet ever really coming off the ground, thank goodness!

Well, there's a difference between which breed bucks the "most" and which is most efficient. My Morgans, if they really wanted to, could get me off in a couple bucks. My TB, on the other hand, bucks a lot more than his brothers because he can't buck me off.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    Well, there's a difference between which breed bucks the "most" and which is most efficient. My Morgans, if they really wanted to, could get me off in a couple bucks. My TB, on the other hand, bucks a lot more than his brothers because he can't buck me off.
    My Morgan has a little crowhop in her, but doesn't do the rodeo-style bucks. Instead, she has the 20-foot-sideways-leap, or the leap-and-spin.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

My husband hopped on his old Morgan mare a few years ago-he's had her since she was 1 and he was 14-and was just going to ride her back to the pasture bareback real quick. She got a wild hair, bucked him off and cracked one of his ribs! She was about 29 years old at the time.

I, also, vote for a more sophisticated breakdown between bucking a lot, and bucking efficiently.

TB's I have ridden have been very athletic, but usually reasonably easy to stick to. My good TB I just sold could come up from a roll into a really vicious buck but it was more like a huge jump and as long as you had a decent seat, you could stay with him. He did get me off once while trail riding when I ducked to go under a low-hanging tree branch and he spooked and bucked, though.

QH's, on the other hand, can really be nasty buckers. The combination of downhill and big, powerful hindquarters can get you right off over the shoulder. I worked at Deseret in Florida for a while and we had some really rank babies there. They would get what you called "ranch broke" and you expected some hijinks when you first got on them.

Gaited horses just seem totally catywhumpus to me - they can't seem to get coordinated enough to do much.

Another really nasty buckers are draft crosses. The few that I've ridden (mostly because they were problem horses) had crafty minds and powerful bucks. Not fair or a representative sample, but argh! They weren't slow, either. Some of the bigger WB's can have pretty impressive bucks but the really big one that I rode wasn't an impressive bucker. He'd TRY, but it was mostly big crowhops. As long as you were strong enough to yank his head up you were fine. The smaller ones it all depended on their conformation.

Can't say I have ever really thought about it before. But now that I'm thinking about it, I've got to say...the quarter horses I have know/ridden over the years have not bucked at all. Of the two that I rode consistently for more than a year each, I don't think either one EVER bucked, and my friends' quarter horses that I've known and ridden don't buck either.

I guess that when asked to consider it, my first inclination was to say that TBs buck the most, but I think that's because I've mostly owned and ridden TBs, and most of them have bucked at least occasionally.

But I kind of think MOST horses buck occasionally under the right circumstances...especially in cold winter climates where I have always lived, lol. I've certainly ridden plenty of warmbloods of different varieties that will toss a buck in here or there as well.