The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    The furry ones with manes.
    Yes. Both my current TBs buck. My OTTB mare never did, she was a bolter and reared for the dressage trainer. I will take a bucker but I would need to really think about a bolter. In my experience you need to pick one. I don't know much about the gaited horses, not my cup of tea.

It's a silly thing to ask- i've been slung like a rag by a mule (1/4 TWH, 1/4 Paso, 1/2 who the hell knows), and an old style Appy. and in between I have NOT been thrown a buck by countless QHs, Paints, Apps, TBs, Morgans, Arabs, and everything in between.

Which cars get the most tickets? Based on what I saw today, old Hondas and a Lexus. YMMV. Duh!

2 members found this post helpful.

The breed that bucks the most is whatever I just picked up cheap.

3 members found this post helpful.

The team roper I had start my Lippitt years ago said he liked to start Arabs and Morgans because they rarely bucked and were pretty easy to start. My two Morgan have never bucked with me on them, but the not-Lippitt can throw in some bucks playing to interest a bucking stock contractor. LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

IME QH's are usually adept and athletic and gamey enough to buck. Our gaited type horses haven't wanted to buck at all. The draft cross didn't have the energy. The arabs preferred to shoot around but not stop and buck. The only horses we ever had a problem with really bucking were QH's and the only one that nearly killed one of us bucking was a QH. I think they're bred for game and aggressiveness and athleticism so if they want to buck they will hand you your hat a few times. There are lines of QH's that are known to buck, like the Blue Valentine (watch a blue roan!) and the breeding lines for bucking stock saddle horses are usually a draft/QH cross.

Any horse doesn't matter breed will buck.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    you might want to try standing in 6 inch spike high heeled shoes and see if you can kick backwards without falling on your face
    Seriously? Try being less ignorant. Colts are started barefoot or in simple kegs just like every other breed, and the show horses often have their show shoes replaced with kegs for the winter (ASBs anyway, don't know about the performance TWH). And only a small percentage ever wear any kind of "stacks".

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    well if you like that, I've got just the gelding for you....exactly.like you described.

No thanks! HAHA!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    There are lines of QH's that are known to buck, like the Blue Valentine (watch a blue roan!) ...
    LOL...well, my QH isn't a Blue Valentine line, but he IS a blue roan... and as stated earlier, that mother @#)$(*! can buck! I don't mind the back feet kick out, ass come up bucks...but he literally looks like he could be rodeo material...I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of trying to stay on that boy...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

The more affordable edge of Eventing Heaven, VA

The one horse I seriously got bucked off of was a super-athletic little warmblood mare (Dutch or Selle Francais, I can't remember). Great mover, super jumper, but she could put her powers to serious misuse.

I went to college with a gal whose family raised roughstock, and I believe their best bucking sire was a Thoroughbred who preferred bucking to running.
    Leap, and the net will appear - A Salty Piece of Land, Jimmy Buffett

I have had many horse ridden many more, And truthfully the worst buckers I remember were a few apps. Not to say other breeds aren't good buckers, my TB could buck better than some broncs I have seen! LOL

I have read this thread with interest; never been around gaited horses enough to know if they can buck.

My theory is that it really is a temperament thing; some horses and mules just seem inclined that way and others don't. My connemara could throw some solid bucks and dumped a rider doing this when he was in his twenties! As far as QHs, as cowboymom said, some lines are rumored to be "buckers", i.e., the Hancock line (great feet, solid build, rockstar buckers). I have one QH who has NEVER offered to buck, a paint who also has never, even in first ride of the spring, first lope, just NEVER offered to do anything, a big appendix who also has never offered and a breeders paint who will. My neighbor has a big draftie of some lineage who will buck like an SOB (she loves him for trails but not me!!!!) and the guy who works on my computers just got seriously dumped by his mule - as in head down, rodeo buck.

I've seen horses in dude strings (and typically no gaited)- the white ones! the grullas! but at the endof the day they can ALL throw a buck, just seems that while most will not do it under saddle, there are some that have it in the genes. I also agree about ponies in general - have known several that could really get after it!

Lilitiger2, thank you, last night I couldn't remember the name Hancock off the top of my head, that's exactly the lines I meant. one of the main stock contractors when my husband was still doing rodeo had a Hancock stud that he crossed with drafty mares for his bucking stock.

We had a grandson of Mr. San Peppy that bucked like he was trying to kill someone-he fell on my husband in a bucking fit. Cleared him out of here.

I don't know about bucking the MOST - but I've ridden a few quarter ponies and thought to myself, "glad I'm not far off the ground" because those little monsters can buck HARD and fast.

The saddlebreds I've had don't tend to be terribly 'bucky' - and the ones which have given me a good go at it didn't buck hard enough to get me off. Very easy to get them right back under control. Some of them CAN spin on a dime though.

Count me in regarding the QH's...of course any horse can get the idea and go for it!

Maybe I've been lucky, but the Arabians, Anglo Arabs and TB's I've ridden have not bucked. Worst fall from a buck was a "foundation QH" mare.

Oh...there's a question...do any of you find that mares buck more than geldings or stallions, or vice versa, or is there anything to the sex of the horse leading to a bucking attitude?

(FWIW, I've been bucked by two geldings and three mares over the decades...so I don't see a particularly special side on that.)

My mutton withered arab could roll like a rolling pin, and or a bowling ball. But buck - nope. He didn't even buck in the pasture while playing.

The QH. bronco billy to the max.

My Rocky who is mutton withered no bucking either.

The worst bucker I ever knew was a Hanoverian chestnut mare and a close second was my fav horse of all time QH Pony chestnut mare. She lost me a billion times but was the best after we got it together. The other mare... NOT.so.Much.
    Traumpferde Farm
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
    Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

I know how to ride a buck b/c of a p-o-n-y. They are buggers. Think it is a temperament & training issue, not a breed issue, however

We had ASB lesson horses that could buck just fine.

So, I think TBs like to rear. Training or genetics? anyone?

I saw a Clydesdale buck somone off recently. She was just about asleep a few minutes before. She bucked hard. It made quite an impression on everyone. The rider injured his shoulder and had a concussion. Thank goodness it was soft ground because he was not wearing a helmet. Way too far to fall for me!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    LOL...well, my QH isn't a Blue Valentine line, but he IS a blue roan... and as stated earlier, that mother @#)$(*! can buck! I don't mind the back feet kick out, ass come up bucks...but he literally looks like he could be rodeo material...I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of trying to stay on that boy...
    My filly has Blue Valentine in her bloodlines... oh no! LOL!

I will say QHs, in my experience, have always been more apt to buck. They also seem to be better at it. As others said, them being built downhill I think helps.

My mare (halter/racing bred) has a MEAN buck to her. Best sit her canter exactly how she wants, or you'll be airborne...
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!