The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Horses with banged tails buck the most. You get the most bang for your buck!

I would agree QH, I had one who could buck backward. !

4 members found this post helpful.

Yep, worst buckers I've known have been QH lacking the desire to go forward.
    And of course ponies
    Last edited by Petstorejunkie; Mar. 17, 2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: My iPhone wanted to talk about buckets
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

2 members found this post helpful.

I have never noticed a trend with breeds. My old appy could BUCK, current appy rarely throws a little kick.

TB x connemarra was the worst bucker I ever knew (he tossed many professionals).

Pulled a saddlebred from an auction that was one hell of a bucker (tossed his trainer who ended up hospitalized).

Dutch x paint cross - again, very naughty bucker, also knew a tb mare that went threw many different trainers trying to fix her bucking habit.

as you see, none of these had breeding in common.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I would guess that may be because of the way the TWHs and ASBs gaitedness is not as conductive to collection and so bucking.
    A strung out, inverted, some gaited horses will have trouble bucking unless they gather themselves well first.

That is just a guess.
    Yep - I think the laws of physics prevent it...but I'm giggling imagining the frame by frame of an ASB traveling around the ring to organ music attempting to buck with its head set so high.

ETA - anything built downhill

My first horse was an Appaloosa and man, did he ever have a buck! He didn't really seen to have a particular rhyme or reason to his bucks, but most appeared to be out of excitement. He tossed me a good 3 times in the dirt. Once he started, it was very hard to remain in the tack. I had a friend who was amazed how much air time he got. The funny thing is, when he turned 5 he never bucked again. His current owners have never had a buck out of him either? Terrible twos as a 3 and 4 year old? He was built downhill, had a huge butt, and built like a tank, so that didn't help.

I leased a few appies who never bucked so I hold nothing against that breed. I've not really noticed any breed bucking more or less than others. The saddleseat (Arabs or Saddlebreds) horses I used to ride never bucked. I always wondered if it was because we rode them "higher" up in the bridle.

Well I must be really tired because I thought this thread was called 'which breed sucks the most?'

Time for a nap.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Well, they all appear to suck down high amounts of money at inconvenient times.

7 members found this post helpful.

I've had ASB's and TWH's my whole life and I do not know how to ride a buck. The only time I've been bucked off was riding a friends paint. Yep I was downhill from the get go, very uncomfortable for me. Since most of my trail riding friends have some sort of stock horse, I see many folks get bucked off regularly. Me nevah!

3 members found this post helpful.

I've had QH's that were very talented buckers, including current mare though she only gave me NFR quality under saddle once, fortunately, when she got stung by a bee. She Won't Go There under saddle but when playing while turned out she produces some eye popping moves.

That said, the only horse I've had who indeed went on to a successful rodeo career as a saddle bronc was an OTTB TB, about 15.2h, allegedly green broke at Charles Town when I got him.

QH without a doubt, it's seems like the smaller ones that are built round and downhill.

I've never had an arab buck, spin and bolt yes, buck no. The tb's that I've seen buck we always ended up finding a medical reason for their "outburts"
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Ponies get my vote!

And my little Morgan is quite the bucker...although he uses his bucking powers only for "good" (when he and his buddies in the field decide to go for a spin) rather than "evil" as he luckily has not realized that bucking under saddle is an option. But in the field or turned loose in the arena and just having a good time, he looks like a little bronc!

There's what people call bucking but really is only crow hopping and easy to stick to...and then there's the bucking that literally catapults you clear off the horse. As in, 10 feet in the air. Of those last bucks, the worst I've experienced were from Selle Fran├žais horses (WB) and Tbs. Special mention also to a Tb cross Paint.
    The Morgans and Arabians I've known never bucked.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

My Arab can't buck for beans. My TB could launch my pro rider. He could crack his back. Interestingly the Arab is mutton withered and can't do a complete roll over, has to go down on each side separately to roll. TB no problem. Do you thing that's a factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I would guess that may be because of the way the TWHs and ASBs gaitedness is not as conductive to collection and so bucking.
    A strung out, inverted, some gaited horses will have trouble bucking unless they gather themselves well first.

That is just a guess.
    Saddlebreds are 5 gaited horses, and most of them have the trot hardwired in their head as their preferred intermediate gait, the certainly do not have trouble collecting! Not really sure what gave you that idea. Saddlebreds tend not to be very talented at bucking because they are built up hill and high headed. Saddlebreds and Walking Horses have different conformation and do completely different gaits.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Saddlebreds are 5 gaited horses, and most of them have the trot hardwired in their head as their preferred intermediate gait, the certainly do not have trouble collecting! Not really sure what gave you that idea. Saddlebreds tend not to be very talented at bucking because they are built up hill and high headed. Saddlebreds and Walking Horses have different conformation and do completely different gaits.
    You mean this is collected?

http://www.horsemanmagazine.com/wp-c...red-horse1.jpg

Most frequently, I think, are the balkier horses- IME these tend to be the warmbloods. Of the horses I've ridden, the warmbloods (mostly Hanoverians and Swedish) are the quickest to resort to a buck, mostly of the dolphin-hop type. More effective, though, are the TBs and Irish horses. They may not buck as frequently, but they are athletic SOBs when they do! The height and the twisting back-cracking motion is much harder to sit than the round, leaping bucks you get from the WBs and QHs.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    My QH is BY FAR the worst bucker I have ever had...like, nose between the knees, rounded back, all 4 feet off the ground, give you whiplash, like shit you see at the rodeo bucks...

It's great fun!!!
    well if you like that, I've got just the gelding for you....exactly.like you described.

My three TBs have all been really scary looking buckers and rearers in turnout, making most of the other breeds (paints, WBs, draft xs, etc.) in the barn look quiet by comparison. Even my 27-year old "old girl" could do do the nose on the ground, back feet almost vertical buck. They do tend to carry on a lot in turnout.

If I judged them on how they behaved in turnout, I'd never get on them. They have all been pretty good under saddle, to me at least.

I second the QHs. I have had several that would throw in a good buck. one would drop his shoulder and buck. No one stayed on that. He only did it out on the trail or in the jumping warm up ring After it was over,he would go into his class and usually win.

The furry ones with manes.