The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Which breed bucks most?

this is just a curious question about what breed YOU think bucks more than others. And also for what breeds don't buck as much as others. I know horses are all individuals, so it is not all about the breed, but i am curious what experiences you all have had.

IMO- Quarter horses are the most bucky horses i have ridden.

The Arabs don't seem to buck with me, altho when they do act up, it's intense in other ways.

2 members found this post helpful.

The breed that bucks most by far is Equus caballus

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

21 members found this post helpful.

Ponies.

There's a reason they teach a kid a good seat....

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    The breed that bucks most by far is Equus caballus

Paula
    Bwahahahahahah You owe me a new keyboard!
    Maybe the OP means which one of the four Equus caballus sub-species bucks the most (c.f. anything written by Dr. Deb)?
    The issue isn't bucking; the issue is learning to ride the bucks.
    Kind Regards,
    Amber
    Last edited by californianinkansas; Mar. 17, 2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: grammar

I would go more with color than breed. Palominos and Buckskins :-D
    I think every breed bucks differently. But by far, of the horses we've had at home, the LEAST bucky are
    Walkers and Appies.
    About 5% of QH and ASBs will buck

Paints!! Absolutely, and Quarter Horses of course are buckers, and often mean, determined pile drive into the ground tricks. TBs buck, but they also are easier to stick onto, because they mostly do running bucks, swimming and diving motions.
    Of all the Walkers, ASBs, Arabians and Morgans I've had experience with, none ever bucked, not once. Not to say they don't have their own bag of tricks to evade a rider's directives though. Shying, hopping, spinning.... but no real bucks. ;D

Horses bred for bucking buck the most and most consistently.

Those horses have all kinds of backgrounds, many are draft crossed with all kinds of other breeds.

The breeders say it doesn't matter what breed those come from, it is the inherited ability to buck that counts, like having a big scope in a jumper, the right kind of movement for dressage or gaited, or a good dose of cow sense.

Of course, a more athletic, strong horse of any breed will out-buck the less gifted, more plodding one and the more any horse gets to practice bucking, definitely the better they get at it.

5 members found this post helpful.

While I realize that there really isn't a specific breed that "bucks the most", over the decades, the horses I've ridden that have bucked the most have been Appaloosas & Thoroughbreds.

My farrier (who often picks up cheap colts to break and re-sell) claims that QHs are the biggest buckers, and he's a QH person. There's a couple of lines, he said, that are just "cold backed SOBs". He claims the TWHs and ASBs rarely buck.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    My farrier (who often picks up cheap colts to break and re-sell) claims that QHs are the biggest buckers, and he's a QH person. There's a couple of lines, he said, that are just "cold backed SOBs". He claims the TWHs and ASBs rarely buck.
    I would guess that may be because of the way the TWHs and ASBs gaitedness is not as conductive to collection and so bucking.
    A strung out, inverted, some gaited horses will have trouble bucking unless they gather themselves well first.

That is just a guess.

Morgans are very hard to break, from what I'm told. I knew a little Morgan gelding that never did get broke. He could get that powerful thick neck of his down and throw his back legs up for hours, it seemed like.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    He claims the TWHs and ASBs rarely buck.
    you might want to try standing in 6 inch spike high heeled shoes and see if you can kick backwards without falling on your face

Yep. The gaited breeds have a harder time bucking. Usually if they try the bust their butts lol. We have one that runs and plays in the pasture. There have been many times he throws a buck running on a turn and falls on his side.

Clanter not really. Ours are in normal shoes have had 2 but been around many and rode many. They are all just trail horses not show horses so no big pads but they just have a really hard time trying to use their self to buck the way they move. I've actually had a trainer once that said she love breaking twh because she never had to worry about getting bucked off lol.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    you might want to try standing in 6 inch spike high heeled shoes and see if you can kick backwards without falling on your face
    I will admit I was thinking the same thing. Those horses are the saints of the horse-world for what they put up with.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Is it absolutely necessary to always throw in a dig at SS horses?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

9 members found this post helpful.

QH.

My Rocky doesn't buck, and none of my arabs have either.

I have seen with my own eyes, and heard of many a QH doing the "all out bronco billy yeeee haw style" buck. And the regular bronco billy bucking too.

A friend seems to always have buckers, and they are QH. For some reason all QH's she rides wanna buck. Hmmm.. Buckskins too.

seems like a lot of QH are the buckers. I have always had good luck with my appys, but my 20 yr old has always thrown a good buck if i did not let him open up when he was feeling competitive. it would make sense that Gaited horses don't buck much.

I don't know the gait but sometimes my a-rab is being silly he gets into this funny springy/bouncy gait where all four feet pretty much hit the ground at around the same time and he springs forward with a comparatively more air time than ground time then after a while he settles into a canter. It isn't a buck but I have no name for what it is.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I've owned personally many TBs, 3 QHs, 1 Paint and a WB/TB cross. None of the TBs were buckers, two of the QHs could get INCREDIBLE air when turned loose out in the field but never bucked under saddle (thank God!), the Paint was an evil, throw you on the ground bucker and the TB/WB bucked bad when fresh.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

My QH is BY FAR the worst bucker I have ever had...like, nose between the knees, rounded back, all 4 feet off the ground, give you whiplash, like shit you see at the rodeo bucks...

It's great fun!!!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."