The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Machine Washing Tailored Sportsman Breeches?

I love the convenience of machine washable breeches, but found a deal too great to pass up on a few Tailored Sportsman breeches. Despite the dry clean only directions, a few friends have suggested machine washing anyway and regularly wash their dry clean only by machine (On cold delicate, no machine dry).

Has anyone else done this? I'm concerned that the leather may bleed or the fabric may be damaged from machine washing.

I only wear the Tailored Sportsman Trophy Hunters and I throw them in the wash 1-2 times a week with all my regular laundry. No delicate cycle. Warm water. And I even put them in the dryer afterwards! I ride 5+ times a week, so most times I wear them a couple times before washing. I've never had any problems from washing them this way.

I wash all of my tailored sportsman breeches in the washing machine now, including the royal and supreme hunters. I wash them on delicate with cold water and use the leather therapy detergent. I wash them inside out to protect the knee patches and then hang them to dry right side out. I've been washing them this way for over a year now, the patches still look great.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    I wash all of my tailored sportsman breeches in the washing machine now, including the royal and supreme hunters. I wash them on delicate with cold water and use the leather therapy detergent. I wash them inside out to protect the knee patches and then hang them to dry right side out. I've been washing them this way for over a year now, the patches still look great.
    This ^. I do the same with my supreme breeches.

I wear Trophy Hunters and just put them in the washing machine with my other clothes..regular detergent, warm water. I don't put them in the dryer, but lay them over a chair or something to dry. I can't risk even a little shrinkage, as I'm tall and the longs are just long enough. They look great still, after many washings.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    I wear Trophy Hunters and just put them in the washing machine with my other clothes..regular detergent, warm water. I don't put them in the dryer, but lay them over a chair or something to dry. I can't risk even a little shrinkage, as I'm tall and the longs are just long enough. They look great still, after many washings.
    Same! Even 0.5" is too much inch to gamble! I need it all!

I just machine wash and dry all my breeches, I wanted them to shrink (my supreme hunters are 32s and I'm in between a 28 and a 30) but they didn't really.
    no harm no foul?
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Ditto on what mypaintwattie suggested. Mine have been fine.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I have a pair that are probably 10 years old and I have washed them since I bought them. Regular detergent, cool water and have even used oxiclean or borax to help get any stains out. After 10 years I have some pilling but not noticeable by eye, only by feel and the patches have held up as well.

I try to wash my trophy hunters a little as possible. I have black breeches and if I'm just schooling at home I try to wear them as much as I can before washing (especially in the winter when I have layers on underneath and on top!)

I wore those pants almost everyday for three years and they held up amazingly. I'm pretty sure its just from washing them less.

When I do wash my pants (my show pants get washed after every wear, of course) I wash them like normal and dry them like normal. I find that when you first put them on they may have shrunk a little, but at least mine stretch within about an hour and end up looser.

I wash mine in cold water on the gentle cycle and let them air dry. I also have the dryell dry cleaning kit and use that on them as well. I found that when I dried them in the dryer, they did shrink a little but stretched back out. However, I do not need to feel fat as an eating disorder patient in recovery, so I try not to dry them. (sometimes I forget though and they go in)

Manufacturers are only required to list ONE method of cleaning; others may work equally well, as the posters above have proven.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Yeah, I pretty much wash and hang or lay flat to dry, everything that says "Dry Clean Only"...except for those things that are really constructed (with linings, stiffening, creases...) like coats, tailored work pants, suit skirts, a handful of dresses... Everything has come out OK.

Not only it dry cleaning expensive and a PITA to drop off and pick up, but it smells horrible too!

I've done it and they've been fine. Granted they're my show breeches so they don't get washed very often. I do it on cold in a care (knit bag) and hang dry them. So far they look just as great as when I sent them to the dry cleaners...the only difference is I'm saving $!

Having them dry cleaned often messes up the knee patches (I've seen this many, many, many, many times) - wash them on delicate with a gentle detergent (Woolite or Leather Therapy) and air-dry.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Where can you buy Leather Therapy? I machine wash my breeches on delicate cycle in cool water but I use regular detergent.

I throw mine in the washer/dryer about once a week. So far no issues.
    I'm comin', Elizabeth!

Wash Inside out. Cold. Hang to dry. Been doing all my breeches like this forever and some are going on 10 years. For example, my Ariat ProCircuits!

Delicate cycle - cold water. I put them in the dryer on the low heat option. Haven't had any issues and I've been doing this method for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    Where can you buy Leather Therapy? I machine wash my breeches on delicate cycle in cool water but I use regular detergent.
    I got mine at smartpak. It's the same detergent you can use to wash fleece saddlepads with.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare