The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 5 weeks until Rolex! Restaurant advice

I am going to Rolex with a few friends and we need some restaurant suggestions. We are staying only a few miles from the Horse Park, on Newtown Pike.

We went to Merrick Inn last year, and liked it. But want some new palces to go. Also ate at a few other places, but can't remember where they were.

Any suggestions, for casual/slightly nicer restaurants, with good food would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks very much!!!

This is a little ways away, but well worth the drive:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/65/70087...ery-Versailles

Darn good food, very casual, you can sit outside on the patio if the weather is good.

This restaurant is in town and pretty close to the KHP, really loved their food, fun to try southern cooking, also casual and reasonable.

http://www.ramseysdiners.com/

Have fun! I love going to Lexington!!

Midway has a wonderful selection of restaurants. Is the Wallace Station in Versailles affiliated with the Wallace Station in Midway?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My favorites are Azur, A la Lucie, and Dudley's. Those are all upscale though. I'm not a Ramsey's fan (all fried food, and home cooking-not my favorites), but always seem to end up there one night. At least to drink some beer!

Jalapenos is ok for Mexican food. Hard to compare with all the good Mexican food we have here in TX though.

Another favorite is the restaurant inside Joseph-Beth bookstore. Problem with that is that even though the food isn't real expensive I always end up shopping!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Midway has a wonderful selection of restaurants. Is the Wallace Station in Versailles affiliated with the Wallace Station in Midway?
    Versailles Post Office absorbed Midway last year. Should be the same place only the mailing address has changed.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

My daughter and I loved this place. Can't wait to have their artichoke dip again! It is sort of upscale fast food like Noodles or Qdoba. http://www.smashingtomato.com/index1.html

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Versailles Post Office absorbed Midway last year. Should be the same place only the mailing address has changed.
    Time flies...it's been about that long since I've been to Midway.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Saul Good is another excellent place. There is a location by Fayette Mall and another in Hamburg. It is pretty casual with decent prices. For something a little fancier, The Chop House and Columbia's are really good steak houses. Tons of mexican places, most are fine. Nothing spectacular but not bad either.

Love Wallace Station! They have the best sandwiches.

Malones!!! The bottomless Lexingtonian salad is amazing
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

I agree with A la Lucie, Malone's and Dudley's as well as The Atomic Cafe. If you are a bourbon drinker, The Horse and Barrel is not to be missed.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Table Three Ten in Lexington

http://www.table-three-ten.com/

I've never been but I follow the blog of their pastry chef. Looks delicious!

Dudley's was excellent, though not casual. We showed up a bit under-dressed and to their credit they were 100% gracious nonetheless. I mean, it's not formal wear, but it's a place where you should look "put together". Just pick they hay off your shoulder and you'll be fine.
    We also enjoyed Bourbon N Toulouse -- definitely fits the "casual" and "good food" bill, but nothing upsale about it.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Try any of Chef Ouita Michel's restaurants & you'll be pleased- Wallace Station, Windy Corner (nearer to the Park), or the Holly Hill Inn. There is nothing better than Friday night fish frys and Bluegrass music on the deck at Wallace. I can't wait for good weather to come and stay!!! (Freezing rain here today.)
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Thank you so much everyone! I will compile this info into a list and map them out. Appreciate your help !!

If you like good BBQ, then go to Red State BBQ, which is about 4 miles from the KHP on Hwy. 25. They serve BBQ pork, chicken and brisket. The peach cobbler is not bad either.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

1 members found this post helpful.