The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity Farm Sporthorses View Post
    I wish we had a crystal ball and could tell if your decisions in life were to work out well before be jumped in!
    Wait a sec. Wife needed a crystal ball? No reasonable person would have seen this coming?

She married a guy who needed a green card and could get that via their marriage. He does some stuff with a truck that was hers. They decide to split just 8 months in (and why is anyone surprised?), and THEN she asked the guy who has used her before to sell her horses in a fair way and should have expected that from her "husband"?

He wasn't her husband once they decided to split, his past history excluded entirely. He perhaps didn't have genuine-husband intentions when they got together. And you can't assume much of someone who bails on a marriage in under a year.

You could have a rock-- not a crystal ball-- and see this disaster coming.

OK, back to the topic of the thread.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Just what does the husband look like, if I may ask? Was there any assumption of risk by the wife here?

I agree with mvp. There must have been a lot of warning signs that were ignored. I'm not trying to justify the husband's actions, nor playing devil's advocate, but there must be a lot more to this whirlwind romance than we are being told here. My empathy is for the horses.

No, MVP, she did not ask him AFTER things started to look shady to sell the horses - it was prior. Once he left with her belongings things started to show their true colors. Two months into a marriage you are pretty much still in the honeymoon stage Once he had the possessions...things started to go south. and amazingly, you cannot just go get your property from your HUSBAND. wow. There were multiple requests to him to return them....

In the very least to maintain his green card.. he has to remain married to 3 years. I guess he will have to find another women to scam for that one. and, NOT she did not marry him to get his green card for hm...she was in love - big white wedding and everything. and, it is true, love is blind.

I don't think she would disagree about the errors in her judgement. But, this guy is the ultimate CON man. You can certainly say,....why did she do this, or why did she not do that?? But, looking in from the outside is much easier and well, you don't really know how you would react to the same situation unless you were are in the persons shoes.

Cloudyandcallie, the wife actually has fear for her safety...if that is what you are asking.

Yes, Coudyandcallie, a lot more to this than is stated here. and yes, the poor horses are caught up in this.

MVP - for your clarity - as it was in the original post... 2 month into the marriage Husband took 6 horses to FL under the agreement that he was going sell them in a mutually beneficial fashion. I believe that once he was settled there that she was to move down there with him. The move to FL was not the "split" was to be the first step to both moving there for both of them. in finally seeing the "light" wife informs husband of impending divorce - husband sells last two horses on a quick sale for less than 5k. Wife was not informed of the sale and did not learn of it until they were gone....and not from the husband.

Gotcha, re: the timing thing of it all. It makes way more sense that Wife would ask DH to sell the horses while they were still married.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I think the timing is perfect! She sent them to fl to sell during the winter circuit where she would think that they would be more valuable. Well that is what I would think... I don't know if that was her idea but of it was it makes perfect sense!

Caveat emptor.

For those that didnt know what caveat emptor is: (like me)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor#section_1

Or more simply, Caveat Emptor = buyer beware

but it sounds like the horses at issue were babies...not something you would be showing or selling at the winter circuit....

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    but it sounds like the horses at issue were babies...not something you would be showing or selling at the winter circuit....
    But still a good place to market (or buy) a young prospect. Makes perfect sense.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique