The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It doesn't look as if this attny is professional or appropriate

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity Farm Sporthorses View Post
    Yes, but, it is rather amuzing that Judge Judy was involved with something similar. But, not a judge Judy fan myself
    Hey, I made a "B" in criminal law in law school by watching Perry Mason episodes on Ted Turner's network every afternoon during the week. California law, at that! I presume Judge Judy used the UCC, the Uniform Commercial Code, to which all state have agreed to abide by. And a BFP for value, a bona fide purchaser for value, has standing to keep a horse sold in a divorce dispute. I don't know all the facts here, but any competent divorce lawyer or contract lawyer can handle the situation.

This reminds me of a guy in Atlanta who sold his Porsche 911, almost brand new, for 500$ so it would not be taken in his divorce case. It was perfectly legal at the time since the vehicle was in his name. Obviously the buyer "knew or should have known" that the deal was suspect. I once watched a divorce case in Atlanta where custody of dressage horses was one of the issues.

The attorney is right. If his client is a BFP for value, she has standing. And people need to not attack her.

The judge in this divorce case will probably agree to sanctions against the husband in this case. Maybe. Unless he has another side to the story. I just hope the horses ended up in good homes.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Wouldn't it be more appropriate and professional to contact the parties involved personally, rather than posting a cease and desist on a public bulletin board?
    It would be, but what fun is that?
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bellaalexander View Post
    Actually, he's perfectly right in protecting his client. Who made be completely innocent and may have purchased the horses with the belief that they were being sold by someone with the authority to sell them. And if she paid fair market value, she should not be attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Actually, he's perfectly right in protecting his client. Who made be completely innocent and may have purchased the horses with the belief that they were being sold by someone with the authority to sell them. And if she paid fair market value, she should not be attacked.
    That wasn't the point of the comment - this was - from the link above

"Andrew D. Robinson, a North Miami lawyer, racked up $18,000 in credit card debt and then cooked up a mortgage fraud scheme to help pay it off."

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    Why is it that the common denominator for all scum bags is usually South Florida?
    Not always. Some live in California (see the numerous threads over the years in the breeding forum about Jill Burnell/Redwine/GrayFox Farms).

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Molly Malone!

Cloudy.... Really? Come on.

Wow....Lawyers posting on BB with cease and desist?? Don't you have to send that registered mail...??

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity Farm Sporthorses View Post
    Mr Robinson...

Looks like this is you, right?

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2008-11...t-caught/full/
    ZING! That's awesome!

9 members found this post helpful.

Did the purchaser of the horses know that about the lawyer when she hired him? Most people do not go online and check out disciplinary actions against lawyers. I don't think the client should be blamed for hiring him.

Just go buy a contracts hornbook. Or a copy of the UCC and you can read the applicable law. Of course, that is presuming that what was posted originally is true. You'd be amazed at what comes out in court, in divorce court, and civil contract court cases, and in criminal law. (If you sell a horse illegally that was legally placed in your possession, you can be found guilty of felonies like theft by conversion. Or theft by taking. Depends on the laws of the individual state.

I know of one horse related case of divorce where both the wife and the husband sold off farm equipment during the divorce proceedings. My friend got her horses out of there. And I had a sheriff track down where her husband sold off some of the equipment to people. Who btw were BFP for value. I did manage to put her husband in jail for "life" for murder, so she got the farm, which was hers before the marriage, and sold it. But you have to have both sides of the story, and then you have to tell your side NOT to lie, no matter what. So since we don't know the husband's side of the story, maybe there's more to this story than what we're hearing.

Was this lawyer disciplined by the state bar? Usually the state bar hauls them before the state supreme court for a little rebuking and sometimes suspension. Obviously not a disbarment here.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Probably best to send that offer by PM.

Actually, it's in the rules that she CAN post a service she provides that is relevant. And it certainly is, here .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

OK OP, use "alleged" if you choose to post further. Such as the breeder alleges that her ex-husband has converted a premarital asset in order to benefit prior to a divorce settlement. Yuck. What a mess.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Sad that there are so many willing to try and profit from another's misfortune. People suck sometimes.

OP, thanks for the warning!

ReSomething... thank you. Changed to Alleged in the origional post. Again, my point in this post is to make those aware who may be involved in a sale of these two that they may be involved with a legal battle over the animals. THAT is why I did not name the parties involved. Just don't be the 4th party caught up in this!

Things are in the works, and I hope that this situation will be rectified soon.

I can't wait until this person is named. So many people are taken advantage of in the horse industry and it needs to stop. I hate seeing this bottom feeding scummy people sealing and committing fraud. I hope that a law suit is filed and this person gets what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by bellaalexander View Post
    Careful, bellaalexander. Said "attorney" may post a cease and desist "request" involving you.
    I'll go off my diet for this. Extra butter please.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Actually, it's in the rules that she CAN post a service she provides that is relevant. And it certainly is, here .
    Thanks Jenners, good to know that an minor advert is allowed under the right circumstances. I wasn't aware of that.

So, will the buyer's attorney be back? I'm thinking he underestimated the COTH. One does not dive in and threaten the COTH and survive unscathed, buddy
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

ldazians, your post almost made me pee my pants! WAY too funny and SOOO true!

2 members found this post helpful.