The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just a little brag...

I don't post much on here...I'm not a breeder and only have one foal (my one and only) so I don't feel I usually have much to add to the conversations but I do lurk frequently and enjoy everyone else's comments and insights.

I just want to brag a little about my 9 month old filly (Formula One out of Casey Darling by Sea Salute). She is the most even-tempered, sensible, fearless, self-confident baby I have ever seen!! I have been impressed with her since she hit the ground but last weekend she really proved herself. On Friday she came in from the field with an injury to her eye. We called our vet and after examining her, he wanted to refer her to a vet hospital. We had practiced getting her to load on a trailer a few times but it had always been in the daylight with another horse already loaded. This time she was going to have to load onto an empty trailer...in the dark. I was not very confident that the whole process was going to be a good experience for any of us!!! But...we backed the trailer up and much to my surprise, she hopped right on! No questioning or hesitation!!! We hauled her 3 hours to Columbus, Ohio to the Ohio State Veterinary Hospital and when we got there she backed right off and marched right through that noisy garage door into that big scary vet clinic like she owned the place. The vet examined her, poked and prodded and stuck things in her eye...she was the perfect patient! He never even tranquilized her until he began the process of putting the lavage in her eye and was needing to stick a BIG needle through her eyelid! When he was done with her, she went right into a stall and started munching on hay. The next morning (or I guess you could say later that morning) when we picked her up she went right back on the trailer to go home. I was very proud of her through the whole thing...I that was an awful lot for a 9 month old to have to process at one time!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

3 members found this post helpful.

That doesn't just speak well of baby, but of the job you've done working with her Congrats to you on both fronts! Sounds like you have a fabulous filly with a great future.

8 members found this post helpful.

Congrats on a nice foal Have you copied Denny on this? He will be a very proud grandpa.
    I found the perfect distance but they put the jump in the wrong place.

What DancingFoalFarms said. Good for you both!

Thanks guys but I can't take much of the credit for her good manners...my best friend and a teenage friend at the barn have put most of the work on her...they are awesome and I'm very lucky to have them!!!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Kudos to such a great filly, and to you for doing such a wonderful job with her! She sounds like a keeper!
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

1 members found this post helpful.