The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What are your favorite showgrounds in New Jersey and Eastern PA?

I haven't shown there in years, and some of the ones I knew are gone, and I don't know the footing at others.

I've heard that the footing and the NJ horse Park has been worked on, but is not yet good. What do you think? Have they put in GGT or the like yet?

What about the Bucks Co. Horse Park footing?

Thanks for your help.

I showed once at NJHP late last year in the dressage and jumper rings and didn't notice anything majorly off about the footing. However, I don't have any past experience with the place, so can't say much beyond that.

I love the Bucks County Horse Park! I showed there quite a bit last year and liked the footing. It always seemed to be consistent. Even on days when it rained extensively the day of the show, the footing still held up well. I found this to be true for all the rings, jumper, dressage as well as the cross country course.

The X-C course always looked great before the HT's. The footing in front of the jumps was always good. They have some advantage in that a lot of the jumps are movable, so if there is a bad spot they can address that effectively. In going out for random schooling, I only had maybe 1 or 2 fences I couldn't jump because the footing in front of them was a bit sloppy. It wasn't a huge issue though because there is tons of stuff to jump.

On a somewhat related note, Christie Hoffman park isn't a show venue, but it a fantastic place to school X-C if you want to do relatively easy stuff. The place always looks as if it just got groomed...and there's no charge to school there!!

You are also welcome to send me a PM if you'd like details on other places.

Thanks so much for the info. I would guess, however, that the only thing that would get me and my horses over an XC jump would be a bear chasing us! Or, perhaps a plastic bag...

2 members found this post helpful.

haha. I was halfway through my response before I realized I was in the dressage forum.

All three dressage rings at BCHP have nice footing. Nothing super fancy, but it seems well cared for a safe.

Of the ones where I've shown, Hawk Hollow Ranch has the best footing conditions. The warmup is in the indoor with sand/rubber and the outdoor the same or very similar. It is a one-ring show and sometimes 2 days.

I've shown at Buck's HP several times, and I don't remember the footing, so I'd say it was not horrible or I'd have remembered. No GGT or helpful additives, though.

The last time I showed at NJHP was 2010, so I don't know if any improvements have been made since then. I do not like the footing there. As I recall, it's stonedust/screening which bakes hard in the sun. In the rain, it is better. The thing I dislike most about NJHP is the warmup ring. At the bigger shows (like Memorial Day), they use the large indoor for classes, so everyone is warming up in that one warmup ring. It's a zoo and it slopes down in the center where there is a drain. It's not level either.

OK, not quite Eastern PA but close: Stockade in Schenectady, NY. Wonderful, quiet, safe, great people, did I say quiet and safe? Nice footing. beautiful.

NJHP is just stone dust/screenings in the outdoor ring. Sand in the indoor, which can get packed in the warm up section at times. No fancy schmancy felt or rubber or such.

BCHP is just sand. It's mostly about drag/water to keep it 'good.'

Some smaller farms have fancier footing. My recollection of Hawk Hollow was that the indoor footing was way too deep for my liking, but this was 5+ years ago. There are soooo many shows. You might get more specific feedback if you look up the show calendar on the ESDCTA website and ask about individual venues.

Timely thread. I just got an advertisement for an adult amateur CDI 1* at the Memorial Day Weekend show at NJHP that I was thinking about. Last time I was there was the fall show in 2010. The warm-up had a giant crater in the center. If you tried to go across the wrong diagonal you ended up doing tempis downhill, then uphill. It was awful. The areas outside the crater were very hard.

The show ring was beach-like - incredibly deep, which just seemed unfair to the horse after coming out of the warm-up.

Has anyone been there recently? I'd love to do the CDI if its fixed.

For the OP: I have always liked the Sussex County Fairgrounds shows. The footing isn't great, but its acceptable. The people that run it are great, and its a very friendly, easy show to attend.

Devon, mainly because it combines horseshowing with all the fresh-pressed lemonade and funnel cakes I can shovel into my face.

Gladstone - just stating the obvious

I loved Devon, too - great shopping But the bees were always fierce. All that funnel cake drives them mad

Just my opinions -
    NJHP - is inconsistent IMO as I think the show rings are hard. Warm up is doable for me but I don't mind doing my changes on a circle or on the 2nd track. I do avoid the "middle" with the drain. The rings tend to be too hard IMO. Last time I was there it was still straight stone dust, but that was a few years ago.
    Devon - perfection!
    Gladstone - also perfect!
    Hawk Hollow Ranch - very, very good and well maintained. Stone dust, sand & rubber in both rings.
    BCHP - it was sand/stone dust mix the last time I was there (2011). Very acceptable and consistent. One of my favorite venues.
    Dunmovin Farm in West Chester - very nice with sand, stone dust and rubber mix.
    Sussex Fairgrounds - good footing that they maintain nicely. Sand, stone dust mix, I think.
    Fair Hill, MD - even though it is less than a 1/2 hour from home and I'm in the GMO that runs it, I avoid this show as the warm up and show rings have poor footing.
    Heavenly Waters in Bel Air, MD - can be hard but definitely more than ok! Stone dust/sand mix.
    I threw these last 2 in even though they're in MD - both are close to I-95 relatively speaking.

Default Footing Refurbishment at the HP of NJ

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Timely thread. I just got an advertisement for an adult amateur CDI 1* at the Memorial Day Weekend show at NJHP that I was thinking about. Last time I was there was the fall show in 2010. The warm-up had a giant crater in the center. If you tried to go across the wrong diagonal you ended up doing tempis downhill, then uphill. It was awful. The areas outside the crater were very hard.

The show ring was beach-like - incredibly deep, which just seemed unfair to the horse after coming out of the warm-up.

Has anyone been there recently? I'd love to do the CDI if its fixed.

For the OP: I have always liked the Sussex County Fairgrounds shows. The footing isn't great, but its acceptable. The people that run it are great, and its a very friendly, easy show to attend.
    ESDCTA donated a considerable amount of money last year to the HP of NJ for the refurbishment of the Main Rings (aka 1 & 2) near the Pavilion. Ring 2 is used for the CDI warm up. Ring 1 is the competition ring for the CDI and normally the upper level classes in the national competition.

We just received formal notice that the HP of NJ has committed to refurbishing the footing in the "carriage ring" (aka the large ring on top of the hill) which is normally considered ring 3 and 4 with warm-up. The refurbishment will be completed in time for the ESDCTA Memorial Weekend CDI.

Hope this information helps!

Thank you SO much for the info! I grew up showing in the area, but that was, ahem, a few years ago. I'll check out the NJ Horse Park before showing there.