The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me chose a new hunter saddle pad--Mattes or Fleeceworks?!

Two pads I'm looking at:

Mattes Pad on sale $185
    Pros-AP and fully lined with sheepskin

Cons- does not have trim the whole way around the pad, only trim at the very front so I don't get that fully trimmed hunter look
    Not shimmable

Fleeceworks Show Hunter Pad- $189
    Pros- full sheepskin trim around the pad,
    shimmable

Cons- partially lined (aka no sheepskin on flaps, but sheepskin down back)

Both these pads are at the max of my price point so I can't upgrade from here. And I don't really need shimmable because my County fits my mare perfectly, but it might be handy to have. So what are your thoughts, Mattes or Fleeceworks
    Lesmiz_07

Have you priced a Mattes here?

They really are different products, which you prefer seems individual ... e.g., I don't want sheepskin on the flaps re I'd prefer closer contact, I also like just a thin pad between the horse & saddle so I prefer Mattes over Fleeceworks (unless they've changed their product); I prefer the shim pockets of other brands over Fleeceworks & if you don't intend to use them, they are just extra seams (potential pressure points), do you want an AP pad or are you looking for a Jump pad?

That was a great site and my "custom" pad is actually right in my budget! I just couldn't find the place to submit a credit card number?! Thoughts?!
    Lesmiz_07

1 members found this post helpful.

Why haven't I known about this site before??
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Love my Mattes pads just be sure you get the platinum which is the true sheepskin - not the gold.

Have both, will buy Mattes next time I need one.

Mattes does sell a half pad in which you can add shims. It might be a tad higher.

Love how the Mattes washes much better than the Fleeceworks.

I love my fleeceworks pads. I use the leather therapy detergent and wash them in my washing machine. Mine are 3-5 years old and still look brand new. I've always shown with a toklat super quilt pad until I got my new saddle, and the show pads I had didn't fit except for my fleeceworks shaped pad. Now it is my go to show pad, my horse seems more comfortable in it and her back stays cooler. If your saddle fits well and you don't need shims then fleeceworks does have a plain shaped pad without the insert option.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    cuz yah aint cool 'nough to hang in the dressage forum

(or maybe it was supposed to be a Dressage Secret & I just made myself persona non grata )

2 members found this post helpful.

does anyone have pictures of their pads from this website? It's hard to get an idea of the color of fabrics just from the computerized swatches.

if you look on the dressage forum a person from that business posts - they are super customer service oriented and she will answer any questions you have with your custom order before you place it.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    I love my fleeceworks pads. I use the leather therapy detergent and wash them in my washing machine. Mine are 3-5 years old and still look brand new. I've always shown with a toklat super quilt pad until I got my new saddle, and the show pads I had didn't fit except for my fleeceworks shaped pad. Now it is my go to show pad, my horse seems more comfortable in it and her back stays cooler. If your saddle fits well and you don't need shims then fleeceworks does have a plain shaped pad without the insert option.
    Does your pad lift the saddle up off the shoulders or does it just add more mass to that area? I'm struggling to find a pad that works for my horse now. I have a Tad saddle that has fit him well until recently and I need a pad to raise the saddle.

I always choose the best quality sheepskin. Lasts longer, and is just nicer than the lesser quality ones.

Thus I got a Mattes. Black, no shims. Really nice. Made a huge difference in how my horse went under saddle. Easy to care for just fluff with a wire dog brush when it is dry.

My vote, Mattes.

I prefer the Mattes pads - the quality's great. If you do opt for the Fleeceworks, however, keep in mind that they run small, so you'll probably need to go up one size; their medium pads don't work for anything bigger than a 17" seat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Wow that's an awesome site, I echo this - thanks for posting it!

Place your order. You'll get an email to enter your credit card info the next day. It'll arrive on your doorstep generally within 3-4 weeks.
    I've ordered 3 times; all legit
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble