The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Speculate with me while I wait for the vet callback...swollen hock? with pictures

My young one is sporting what I can only describe as a swollen hock - but it's not the entire hock, I'm not sure if it's really the hock at all. It's a hard swelling, maybe three inches in diameter, with a quarter-sized scab/sore located below the hock, towards the rear of outside of the right hind leg. He's quite lame on it, even at a walk, and would rather not put full weight on it. His range of motion seems fine as far as the joints go, though what I find interesting is that the swelling is confined only to this one spot, he's not stocked up below it or above. There is heat throughout the leg, though. He seems otherwise happy and is eating and drinking and being a goofy baby as usual, he tolerates me touching it. The sore/scab thing doesn't look like a scrape...it almost looks like it's puffy and infected, but I don't know how that could happen so quickly.

Speculation, anyone? Photos:

Sore

Leg

Leg2
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Ow, poor kid. Could he have gotten kicked or even stepped on? Cast himself next to a fence?

I'd be cold hosing that baby and watching closely--if it's relatively "fresh" the worst of the swelling might be yet to come.

Good luck and jingles!
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Ow, poor kid. Could he have gotten kicked or even stepped on? Cast himself next to a fence?

I'd be cold hosing that baby and watching closely--if it's relatively "fresh" the worst of the swelling might be yet to come.

Good luck and jingles!
    It's possible that he got kicked or banged it up on something - he looked fine, I saw him trotting around the field with my mare, and then about an hour later he was gimping. I'm hoping it's something that simple, and not the catastrophic hock injuries I'm reading about while googling and searching COTH.

ETA: we have been cold hosing. I'm grateful that he's cooperative, because it's just me this weekend, Mr. Heinz is gone.

It's a bit below the hock joints -- maybe a fractured splint bone secondary to some sort of trauma? Let us know what your vet finds!

Looks like your basic "skidmark" of indeterminate origin to me--I'd clip the hair away, clean it really well with something like Betadine or Nolvasan, coat it with triple antibiotic and put him on SMZ's for about 5 days; at least, that's what my vet always says to do. . . your vet's mileage may differ. But it doesn't look serious to me!

Could it be a previously unnoticed puncture wound that is now getting infected?

1 members found this post helpful.

i was thinking puncture as well. my old gelding got kicked and it looked like that but it split the tissue making a puncture wound. i think the vet needs to look at it and make sure there's not a hole.

My guess is infection, although hard to tell just from the pictures. Looks too far back to be a splint. Might worry about a tendon sheath in that area, but can't tell how deep the wound is.

Is the grey-ish looking area underneath it mud, or scraped off hair? If the latter, I'd guess that he put his leg through something and wore that sore by pulling and pulling to get free.
    That's my best crystal ball impersonation for the night. Hopefully whatever structures are affected are just sore!
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

It has nothing to do with the hock. It is a splint bone injury.
    Most probably he got kicked. If this was an infected pucture wound, it would have been more swollen allong the whole leg/hock.

10-15 days antibiotics and he should be fine.

Of course have your vet over and let us know what it really is!

Can a spider bite do that or do they look different? Just curious, I know people here have the answer!
    Good luck with the vet, hope you horse feels better quickly!
    Last edited by bits619; Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Auto correct
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    It has nothing to do with the hock. It is a splint bone injury.
    Most probably he got kicked. If this was an infected pucture wound, it would have been more swollen allong the whole leg/hock.

10-15 days antibiotics and he should be fine.

Of course have your vet over and let us know what it really is!
    I can spend 2-3 hours with somebody, examining, asking questions, looking at test results and still not be anywhere near as certain about a diagnosis as some people are looking at a photograph on COTH.

8 members found this post helpful.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

I can spend 2-3 hours with somebody, examining, asking questions, looking at test results and still not be anywhere near as certain about a diagnosis as some people are looking at a photograph on COTH.
    That's why you should keep a laptop with COTH on it, at your side. Simply type in the problem, post it, and voila you'll have your diagnosis in next to no time. Not only that, you'll also get a treatment Rx and lots of other [non]useful advice and opinions. Your patients will think you're a genius(but you already knew that, right? ).

4 members found this post helpful.

It just happened? Looks a bit proud fleshy to me - edges do not look fresh either. Maybe it was an undiscovered wound that is now infected.

Is the swelling hard or soft? Hot or cold? I would clean the wound throughly, get the horse in a clean stall and wait for the vet.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    It just happened? Looks a bit proud fleshy to me - edges do not look fresh either. Maybe it was an undiscovered wound that is now infected.

Is the swelling hard or soft? Hot or cold? I would clean the wound throughly, get the horse in a clean stall and wait for the vet.
    As I stated in the OP, it's hard and hot and I am 100% certain it was not there the day before. I had my hands all over him, did a full grooming session and then went for a walk with tack on (he's coming 3 this year). Vet advised hosing and to keep him in a stall for now, and if we don't see improvement in a day or two to come out and do some probing. My stalls are banked dirt, so might look "dirty" in the pictures.

How is he today?

Quote-"I can spend 2-3 hours with somebody, examining, asking questions, looking at test results and still not be anywhere near as certain about a diagnosis as some people are looking at a photograph on COTH. " -QUOTE-Deltawave.

Actually Rx is very simple. You call for chiro, or a massage. Although, not so far, this time.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Hope your vet is on the way, and you have a happy ending.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.