The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideas for Fixing a Leaking Skylight Panel in Metal Roof

A few months ago, we had some contractors build a tack room in our barn. Somehow, there was a miscommunication between us and the clear panels I had wanted in the sidewall for light ended up as a skylight in the roof. While this is very pretty .... you guessed it -- the skylight leaks. So much for putting any tack in there!

The contractors have been out three times to fix it, to no avail. I am convinced that they don't know how to fix it, or they surely would have by now!

Since I can't turn back the clock and un-do the hole they cut in my barn roof, I now need to figure out how to fix the leak.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Need more details. Caulking won't fix an improperly installed skylight. I end up fixing way more skylights than I want to, simply because it seems no one around here can install one correctly. I get double to follow someone else and fix their mistakes, and still I turn down work every week.

Tom, if I take some photos, will that help?

Yes, preferably from on top of the roof. Top, side, and bottom views, if possible.

Just copying and pasting this link for future reference in this thread

http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/...ves_How-To.pdf

Oh dear! Another leaky skylight! And in a metal roof no less! It is really rather simple..think like a raindrop. Whatever is higher must overlap that which is lower. If you ignore that, then water will get in. I would recommend getting some bituthene/ WR Grace Ice and Water shield to re-flash your skylight. The contractor should be on the hook for this; he installed it wrong in the first place; hence he should pay for "Tom King" to fix it.
    PS you can very easily turn back the clock: have the contractor remove the skylight and the cut roof panel(s) and replace them with full roof panels. It is, after all, not what you wanted in the first place.

2 members found this post helpful.

The weather here is getting bad again. The contractor was here on Thursday to try to fix again. If it leaks with tonight's rain, I will take the next chance to get up there and get photos. Thanks.

Since it's a metal roof maybe you could remove the skylight (I hate them , they always leak) and slide a skylight Ondura panel under two metal panels. The Ondura is a lot like metal in installation and we installed two of the semi-clear panels. No problems after 4 years.

http://s1147.beta.photobucket.com/us...0f7af.jpg.html
    Last edited by CFFarm; Mar. 17, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Since this was a retro fit .... did the skylight panels match the roof panel's profile ?

In the short description of the installation it does not sound like they built a box frame for the skylight panels but just ripped out part of the roof and inserted these panels

Clanter, you are correct. It does appear from the ground that the profile matches. I haven't gotten up there myself. I was hoping they would fix it. But now that this seems unlikely, realize that I will have to get up there and look and photograph it myself. I like the light, but the water has to stop!

KR-be extremely careful. The least bit of moisture, or just slick finish could spell disaster. (I'm kind of hyper about this after my own incident last week with fixing my big wooden yard gate, and getting booted flat from it hitting my butt-fortunately no video on you tube yet). I second the removal of the skylight, and putting it where you wanted it. Keeping the heat out from the roof panel will be awful this summer. I've never understood why people don't just do it right the first time, instead of the contractor screwing up and then failing to fix it at all.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We just cleaned ours yesterday. Dawn, and a scrub brush and it never leaked. But we have fiberglass panels, not a real true sky light.

But if it did and chaulking didn't work, remove it and replace it yourself. THEN you know the job was done correctly.

Barn roof pitches are not that steep.

I couldn't pay anybody, nor could I get anybody to clean our sky lights. Nobody would. Our sky lights like I said are fiberglass, and they are not clear, but are opaque, and they are not homedepot types which are thinner, but roofer grade.

This is the first time we cleaned it in the 16 years since we had the barn built. They were SO dirty. Now the light totally shines in. Ahhhh. Wasn't but some scrubbing, how hard was that?

So rip it out and do it your self. It is not that hard. Just have to have an extension ladder.

Default Maybe it's Fixed?

The guy was out here on Thursday to try to fix it (third time's a charm?). We had a lot of rain all weekend, and nary a drop of a leak! So ... do I assume it's fixed now?

I don't really want to get up on the barn roof if not necessary ... would be just my luck to tumble off!

Crossing my fingers that the problem is now resolved ...

If it leaks again, use a caulk made by Geocel.... it is plastic type material that depending upon the type used could even be painted onto the bottoms of swimming pools to seal the floor... and it can be done without draining a pool.

On the left side bar of the attached link is color selector guide that would assist in matching the Geocel product to the specific roof panels you have

http://www.geocelusa.com/roofing.html