The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default More things the non-horsey set say!!

Edit: lest anybody think this guy is a total newbie, we've had our gelding for 7 years and he comes to the barn regularly!!...

So my fiancé looks at this thick draftX type the guys are bringing in at the barn and asks if that's our gelding. "No, dear, he weighs like twice as much as our little guy."

The guys later bring in our gelding with his large pony buddy. I tell him, "See, there's our horse, don't you recognize him?" And he asks if the pony is our mare. "No, dear, she's about 17.1 hh and this guy is a pony."

About 10 minutes later, someone's hand walking a small, adult gelding. My fiancé asks if that's the "weedling." Um, no, the "weedling" filly is taller, and, well, a filly.

The week before I had asked him to fetch one of the lesson horses for me. It took him about 20 minutes to find her because he went into the "weedling's" paddock instead. The "weedling" isnt so easy to catch. Not quite sure how anybody could confuse a 16 year-old, stocky 16.1 mare with an 8-9 month old "weedling." Maybe it was the pink checkered "coat".
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

3 members found this post helpful.

My non-horsey husband always refers to the horse blankets as "jackets." The geldings have "winter jackets" (winter waterproof turnout blankets) and "rain coats" (lightweight waterproof turnout blankets).

2 members found this post helpful.

Haha, my non-horse friend cracks me up when I ask him to hold the "LEASH"!!

1 members found this post helpful.

The guys in my office think dressage is where a horse "goes into a ring and does tricks".

3 members found this post helpful.

Tried to explain fox hunting to several people at work....won't even go into the formal/informal aspects I touched upon.....sigh....
    Nevermind
    :-0

My husband attempted to explain sheath cleaning in his office one day. I think we all can guess the outcome....
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

13 members found this post helpful.

Looking to find a place for my daughter to take beginner lessons- I found a place online that seemed to be running as a nice riding school, so- although a little far- I thought it might be a reasonable trade off for a really professional tight ship. Drove down there and was sad to discover that this was a saddle seat facility. Whoops, although the website did show some saddle seat I somehow didn't grasp that it was only saddleseat.

I wasn't going to just spin on my heels and walk out- and I don't really know enough about saddleseat to even know for sure that it's not something I was interested in- so we got a little tour, and along with the schoolies, met a string of show horses belonging to some trainer in the barn- and then we sat down in the really nice lounge to watch a lesson.

I had a hard time explaining anything to my husband because I was pretty out of my element too- and because I also felt obliged to bite my tongue and not explain everything I was seeing- but then he asked me if I thought that the trainer had gotten those pretty show horses off the track.

Huh?

I finally figured out that he had confused Saddlebreds with Standardbreds- which wouldn't be so bad- if we didn't own a standardbred.

4 members found this post helpful.

Sidebar: the things horsey people say that a non horsey person would find completely confusing/bizarre/repulsive...

I just got a new horse, and I was messaging with a friend about him on Facebook. I was describing him (bay, 16 hands, mane falls on the wrong side, etc) and then I typed "I love his big bone!"

Hubby happened to lean over to grab the TV remote and saw that line and choked on his beer.

No honey, you don't have anything to worry about.

16 members found this post helpful.

This is my favorite thread!

I gave up on trying to explain lungeing my very green Arab to non-horsey people. "Why do you want to make him run circles around you on a leash?"

DH uses leash and jacket (or clothes), and "thingie". Head thingie, hoof thingie, straps for reins, belt for cinch. I think he does it on purpose to poke fun at the whole specialized naming thing, because he worked in a Western barn for a couple of years as a kid and right now he is trading labor with my trainer. He drives her NUTS giving all the Saddlebred equipment his own names. Tail doily is my favorite.
    But he still knows what to grab for her when she needs it and uses the correct name, so . . .
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Hubby asked me the other day why 'vernicular' was so troublesome, as he had heard the foot shoer talking about it.

He often asks if I'm going to make Herself go around in circles (on the lunge line) and is enthralled with making my lunge whip crack.

Trying to get my paperwork together to bring my mares on post, and the woman at the MWR office (non-horsey) kept insisting that I NEEDED my "cobblins" papers RIGHT. NOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Vernicular = navicular?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Vernicular = navicular?
    That is my best guess!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

My husband is very amused at the layman's terms in the horse world. We don't think twice about them, but some ARE very funny.

-Strangles
    -Parrot mouthed
    -Wall-eyed
    -Cow hocked. Hubby thought I was saying "cow throw up" like a cat hocking up (sp) a hairball. He wondered why I would think a horse was so bad that I called him cow puke.

Default other ones.....

We had dinner with an Englishman who trained in Md. who insisted his horse "floundered" and needed a vet!!!

An artist in Coatesville, Pa. insisted on referring to the saddle as "the mount" inspite of several corrections!! That drove me nuts!!
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

My grandma came to watch me ride once. I got done, she may or may not have braved petting the massive beast (15.3 chestnut TB), and then walked out with me as I turned him out. He trotted out to his best friend (16.3 sorrel QH) and she asks, "well now how will you know which one is him again?"

I stifled my laughter and finally left it at, "They have different colored halters"

7 members found this post helpful.

I was teaching someone their tenth riding lesson the other day and said, "Keep your hands as quiet as you can" a couple of times.

Finally he asked, "...What sounds are they making?"

I switched to, "Keep your hands as still as possible."

18 members found this post helpful.

I was at a neighborhood party with mainly horse people plus my then-boyfriend, a non-horse person. We got into a conversation about the best way to clean sheaths - my boyfriend was not thrilled and had to walk away!

My husband 10+ years ago worked in a show (eventers) facility, and gave it up to work at a therapeutic riding barn, which admittedly does nothing more then saddle/bridle. But I asked him to boot my horse one day (normally I ask him to saddle and bridle him) and he stuck the boots, on the hind legs, on the wrong ones. LOL. I walked out of the office and saw my poor gelding standing there with the most confused look on his face!

I did have a completely dumb non-horse moment once though. I come from paints, and after paints I've ALWAYS had chestnuts or sorrels, I've never owned a bay a day in my life. I was taking care of one of the girls bays, and turned him out with other geldings. I then went back, and realized I had no idea which bay he was. He was 1 of 2 bay Arabs, and 1 of 3 his size. I felt completely dumb!