The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony ride pony bucks

The pony bucked because of a horsefly but do you think a pony ride pony should be stoic enough to suck it up and not buck or to give them a pass on this one because well a horsefly bite hurts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3mv41nQtpE
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

That was a B52 fly...those HURT like the dickens. Tons of horses go berserk with those...even my completely laid back 99% bombproof never-did-anything-wrong-ever APHA horse would throw himself on the ground so hard with those that he gave himself bruises.
    My late mare knocked her hip out of whack, requiring tons of chiro, from one.
    And unfortunately...there isn't a fly spray out there that deters them.

I give the chunky Appy credit for "gentle" bucks with that thing on him. But I do fully understand the parents and children being alarmed too. It's just one of those "you can't ever be 100% safe around horses" things. Even the most stoic is going to react to those things.

I get nailed by one once...trying to get it off of my horse. My hand looked like a balloon for days, but when it actually bit me I'm not kidding when I say it felt like something shoving a red-hot poker through my hand. I knew they had to hurt considering the equine-reaction...but holy cheeses!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

I hate those pony ride things. Honestly, they just invite ignorant people to put their kids on horses without helmets and without any understanding of horse behavior and safety around horses. I don't think the horse did anything wrong. He actually kept it pretty together under the circumstances. The idiots yelling and running in to grab kids off of horses really didn't help matters.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think the pony held it together remarkably well under the circumstances. A lot of horses would have had a full blown meltdown. That would have been a wreck with all the animals attached to the mechanical walker. Instead he just gave a few unhappy crow hops in reaction to some very unpleasant stimuli.

I do think they were really lucky to avoid a wreck.
    1) Notice how the saddle starts to slide when the pony gets antsy?
    2) Most of the kids didn't have side walkers. The obvious duty of a side walker is to steady the kid and scoop it off to safety in the event of trouble like this. However, a side walker also helps prevent trouble by slapping errant horseflies and making sure the kid isn't fooling around.
    3) I really don't like mechanical walkers for this kind of situation. You have several animals attached together with no easy way to free them if something goes wrong. Ideally the animals stay safely attached to the walker until they finish their meltdowns. Murphy's law, however, suggests that a pony is going to break loose dragging part of the equipment.
    Last edited by carp; Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: uncorrecting autocorrect

1 members found this post helpful.

Don't have the volume up but this looks like some sort of block party thing with little rides in a neighborhood. Not that that matters.

This thing just edifies my position that pony rides like this should just go away - and it's not b/c of the pony bucking. We were at an event some years ago where the hosts paid a stable to bring out 2 ponies and people who cared for those ponies daily were responsible for leading kids around on them. They provided helmets for the kids, western saddles that were appropriately girthed, and led the ponies using a halter and lead line. It was safer and for a few of the kids who were "qualified" the handlers would do a little jog so the kid could "trot." The ponies weren't sour and hateful either but eager to meet their next little kid. Worked great.

That guy reaching out for the horse/child every time they went around just drove me crazy. Really dude??

6 members found this post helpful.

That pony did not buck. It was just a very restrained, uncomfortable half hop. Hat off to a very stoic pony, and hope the kid didn't get too scared.

2 members found this post helpful.

Those are saintly ponies. I've seen horses have nuclear meltdowns over those horse flies. The ponies remained totally stoic even amidst the crying children and frantic workers.

This is just a perfect example of how sh** happens with horses.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I used to own a pony ride business way back in the 90's and we had handlers and lead our ponies around the circle. I hate those merry go round ones. Because like we saw, if one got upset and wanted to trot away from the B52 bomber horse fly they ALL have to trot.

I am also of firm mind that kids should not be riding alone. All of our handlers hand the left hand on the lead rope and turned your bodies towards the neck of the pony and held onto the child with our right hand, either the upper thigh or upper arm. That way their attention was on the pony and the child not just walking in a straight line thinking about something else. In the 8 years we owned our business we NEVER had an issue.

We used western saddles with rough out seats for more grip and all of our handlers were family or pony crazy teenagers with keen horse sense.

That appy deserves a metal and a juicy apple.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I hate those pony ride things. Honestly, they just invite ignorant people to put their kids on horses without helmets and without any understanding of horse behavior and safety around horses. I don't think the horse did anything wrong. He actually kept it pretty together under the circumstances. The idiots yelling and running in to grab kids off of horses really didn't help matters.
    Agreed. Honestly I was expecting a whole lot worse--especially when people start yelling & kids crying. The ponies were really good!

They are animals--not robots. If you want a 100% guaranteed well behaved totally predictable pony ride, then go to Wal-Mart & pop in a quarter.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

yeah, when my barn gives pony rides, it's a leader and the parent sidewalking.

i seriously want the pony in the video.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique