The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ponypappy View Post
    Congratulations, to the Parra team they are such great representatives for the US. I appreciate that Dr. Parra is not in the sport for Fame, Money or Ribbons according to his interview with eurodressage.
    Well, as stated before, he comes from a wealthy family and he left a highly successful dental practice in Columbia to pursue dressage, so I doubt he is in the sport for money. And I think he likes ribbons only because they make his sponsor/clients happy. I believe he does love fame - as stated, he can be quite the showman, but having been around him a few times, I will say that he does seem genuinely passionate about those "aha" moments that riders love to experience.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I don't think Cesar Parra has horns, as his enemies say, and I don't think he's a saintly person who just does it for the love of horses, as his sycophants say. As usual, the truth is somewhere in between. For today, congratulations on a job well done
    Yes, congrats to him for a very successful weekend. He and Van the Man were apparently on the same wave length this weekend. I liked the video interview where he commented about how Van has humbled him a few times.

3 members found this post helpful.

I agree with DownYonder. He must be worth millions. There are lots of super rich families living in Columbia. He probably doesn't have to even charge clients. Its probably just fun to do so. And I bet you are right, it is not about winning for him it is just about all the "aha" moments. You know, I was completely misguided about him but I am so glad that people like you have dispelled the rumors. All those people that have spoken badly about him, sued him, accused him of injuring their horses, they are just jealous. Thank you, for setting the record straight. Good to know that all that Columbian money is now being taxed in the USA considering tomorrow is tax day.

You are so right. If the rest of them could just get it together. They could learn a lot from Dr. Parra. He truly is a humble man. Listen up, all of you ego maniacs.

Say good night, Gracie.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Well, as stated before, he comes from a wealthy family and he left a highly successful dental practice in Columbia to pursue dressage, so I doubt he is in the sport for money. And I think he likes ribbons only because they make his sponsor/clients happy. I believe he does love fame - as stated, he can be quite the showman, but having been around him a few times, I will say that he does seem genuinely passionate about those "aha" moments that riders love to experience.
    He left a "highly successful Dental practice in Colombia" (I must say, I have no idea to what standards Colombian dentists are held , so that is rather meaningless to me at this time) to pursue dressage? In other words , he has taken up his hobby...

You are so right. If the rest of them could just get it together. They could learn a lot from Dr. Parra. He truly is a humble man. Listen up, all of you ego maniacs.
    You sure do seem to have an axe to grind against CP. If he "did you wrong", are you pursuing it in the court system? Or just coming on here to rant about him because it makes you feel better?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    He left a "highly successful Dental practice in Colombia" (I must say, I have no idea to what standards Colombian dentists are held , so that is rather meaningless to me at this time) to pursue dressage? In other words , he has taken up his hobby...
    I have no idea to what standards Colombian dentists are held
    What does that imply?

My understanding is that he had a successful practice in cosmetic dentistry/oral surgery. His family was old Columbia money. He probably could have just lived off the family trust, but he wanted to make his own way in the world, so he went to dental school and practiced that profession for a while. But his passion was horses - specifically, dressage - so he left dentistry behind.

And lots of folks "take up their hobby". What is that old saying - "find something you love and call it work" (or something like that).

I agree with DownYonder. He must be worth millions. There are lots of super rich families living in Columbia. He probably doesn't have to even charge clients. Its probably just fun to do so. And I bet you are right, it is not about winning for him it is just about all the "aha" moments. You know, I was completely misguided about him but I am so glad that people like you have dispelled the rumors. All those people that have spoken badly about him, sued him, accused him of injuring their horses, they are just jealous. Thank you, for setting the record straight. Good to know that all that Columbian money is now being taxed in the USA considering tomorrow is tax day.
    Such venom. Yes, let's denigrate everyone from Columbia, and also denigrate everyone in the sport who has wealth.

And it's okay for every other trainer to charge clients, but not CP?

As stated before, he certainly isn't the first BNT to have horses get injured, or die, nor is he the first BNT to overcharge clients on commissions. And he won't be the last. Again - there are some VERY, VERY, VERY big names who have scammed clients, and there are VERY, VERY, VERY big names who have had horses get seriously injured in their training programs - some horses even died as a result. And even one very well known and highly regarded trainer who had a STUDENT get killed in a lunging accident.

Do I think CP is lily white? Heck no - he's obviously got a lot of baggage. But I do not believe he is quite the monster some of you seem to believe he is. Or if he is, he is just one monster amongst a plethora of them. We just don't hear about the incidents involving other BNTs - they are more successful in keeping their transgressions out of the public eye.

I am a fan of Van the Man (that sounds like a Dr Seuss sentence) and its great that the horse showed well.

I was also a big fan of Sisther de jeu and she never showed to her full potential - so we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I have no idea to what standards Colombian dentists are held

Yeah, he got a DDS and MScD, studied at Harvard and Boston University (was a teacher there too), only to learn (and teach!) how to pull teeth out with a dirty wrench, I'm sure.

It's Colombia, not Columbia. I doubt that there is anyone competing at that level who doesn't have baggage.

No, you seem to be the one with all the personal information and agenda. I noticed you were the one to comment and agree when his employee came on and pretended to be someone else as well. Are you an employee to? You have such strong opinions on how wonderful he is then it must be true. You have convinced me. And no, I do not have the resources to buy horses that cost that much money. But if I did, now knowing that he is not in it for the money you could sign me up.

I think it's time to grab the popcorn and boxed wine...

No popcorn available, so I had to pull the boxed wine from the back of my office drawer. Inspired by Dudley's comment...

Van the Man I am

I am Van the Man

Van the Man I am

That Van the Man-I-am
    That Van the Man-I-am!
    I do not like
    that Van the Man-I-am

Do you like
    for-ums and spam

I do not like them,
    Van the Man-I-am.
    I do not like
    for-ums and spam.

Would you like them
    Here or there?

I would not like them
    here or there.
    I would not like them
    anywhere.
    I do not like
    for-ums and spam.
    I do not like them,
    Van the Man-I-am

Would you like them
    in a caboose?
    Would you like them
    with a moose?

I do not like them
    in a caboose.
    I do not like them
    with a moose.
    I do not like them
    here or there.
    I do not like them
    anywhere.
    I do not like for-ums and spam.
    I do not like them, Van the Man-I-am.

Would you read them
    in a book?
    Would you read them
    with a crook?

Not in a book.
    Not with a crook.
    Not in a caboose.
    Not with a moose.
    I would not read them here or there.
    I would not read them anywhere.
    I would not read for-ums and spam.

Would you? Could you?
    in a barn?
    Read them! Read them!
    Here they are.

I would not ,
    could not,
    in a barn

You may like them.
    You will see.
    You may like them
    as a spree?
    I would not, could not as a spree.
    Not in a barn! You let me be.

I do not like them in a book.
    I do not like them with a crook
    I do not like them in a caboose
    I do not like them with a moose
    I do not like them here or there.
    I do not like them anywhere.
    I do not like for-ums and spam.

In your grain! In your grain!
    Your grain! Your grain!
    Could you, would you
    in your grain?

Not with my grain! Not as a spree!
    Not in a barn! Van the Man! Let me be!
    I would not, could not, in a book.
    I could not, would not, with a crook.
    I will not read them in a caboose
    I will not read them with a moose.
    I will not read them here or there.
    I will not read them anywhere.

Say!
    In the park?
    Here in the park!
    Would you, could you, in the park?

I would not, could not,
    in the park.

Would you, could you,
    with your grain?

I would not, could not, with my grain.
    Not in the dark. Not on a train,
    Not in a barn, Not as a spree.
    I do not like them, Van the Man, you see.
    Not in a caboose. Not in a book.
    Not with a moose. Not with a crook.
    I will not read them here or there.
    I do not like them anywhere!

You do not like
    for-ums and spam?

I do not
    like them,
    Van the Man-I-am.

Could you, would you,
    with a goat?

I would not,
    could not.
    with a goat!

Would you, could you,
    on a boat?

I could not, would not, on a boat.
    I will not, will not, with a goat.
    I will not read them with my grain.
    I will not read them on a train.
    Not in the park! Not as a spree!
    Not in a barn! You let me be!
    I do not like them in a book.
    I do not like them with a crook.
    I will not read them in a caboose.
    I do not like them with a moose.
    I do not like them here or there.
    I do not like them ANYWHERE!

I do not like
    for-ums
    and spam!

I do not like them,
    Van the Man-I-am.

You do not like them.
    SO you say.
    Read them! Read them!
    And you may.
    Read them and you may I say.

Van the Man!
    If you will let me be,
    I will read them.
    You will see.

Say!
    I like for-ums and spam!
    I do!! I like them, Van the Man-I-am!
    And I would read them in a boat!
    And I would read them with a goat...
    And I will read them with my grain.
    And in the park. And on a train.
    And in a barn. And as a spree.
    They are so goodm so goodm you see!

So I will read them in a book.
    And I will read them with a crook.
    And I will read them in a caboose.
    And I will read them with a moose.
    And I will read them here and there.
    Say! I will read them ANHYWHERE!

I do so like
    for-ums and spam!
    Thank you!
    Thank you,
    Van the Man-I-am
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

6 members found this post helpful.

Pretty good, suzy.
    Except for the part about a goat... clearly false
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Suzy - that box of wine must have had quite a kick And it does make one wonder that you don't have enough work to do...
    But I applaud the creativity - I would have stopped after the first round.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    What does that imply?

My understanding is that he had a successful practice in cosmetic dentistry/oral surgery. His family was old Columbia money. He probably could have just lived off the family trust, but he wanted to make his own way in the world, so he went to dental school and practiced that profession for a while. But his passion was horses - specifically, dressage - so he left dentistry behind.

And lots of folks "take up their hobby". What is that old saying - "find something you love and call it work" (or something like that).
    I meant only that I have no idea what it takes to be a "highly successful" dentist in Colombia, and had no intention of "impling" anything.

He has taken up his hobby. Again, that was my observation. It was not criticism.

I don't know Mr. Parra and have no personal knowledge of his character(other than having read the legal proceedings against him on RMHP).

I thought he had a nice ride on Van The Man in the Nations Cup at the GDF last friday.

No, you seem to be the one with all the personal information and agenda. I noticed you were the one to comment and agree when his employee came on and pretended to be someone else as well. Are you an employee to? You have such strong opinions on how wonderful he is then it must be true. You have convinced me. And no, I do not have the resources to buy horses that cost that much money. But if I did, now knowing that he is not in it for the money you could sign me up.
    Nope, not an employee - not even a client.

I have just been around long enough to know a lot of "stuff" about a lot of people. And I'm telling you, he isn't the only BNT to have had problems with clients. But he apparently IS the only one that DN has a personal agenda against.

But since you have such strong opinions on how he is the devil incarnate, I can't help but wonder what he did to YOU to deserve such hatred. Don't you want to 'fess up?

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    It's Colombia, not Columbia. I doubt that there is anyone competing at that level who doesn't have baggage.
    Sorry for the misspelling. I should know better.