The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

I think the point to keep in mind is that NOTHING can be verified. If verbal warnings ARE public record (I have no idea) then if there's no record of it, then it DIDN'T HAPPEN, , regardless of what DN or any other publication says. None of us were even there, so can't even speak to whether CP was given that warning-before-the -warning. Basically, there's no proof of anything than a reactive, nervous mare.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, Dressage News has not published a retraction. Neither CP nor the FEI have publicly refuted the article. ijs
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

6 members found this post helpful.

i am curious - does anyone know where the line is between talking to folks and just being a TD and "giving a verbal warning" ? and can folks give an example of each?

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i am curious - does anyone know where the line is between talking to folks and just being a TD and "giving a verbal warning" ? and can folks give an example of each?
    I can give one half of an example of a 'warning before the WARNING.' I was ring steward at a Championship for the main arena. The indoor warm up was supposed to be used by certain riders at certain times ONLY. One young lady was riding in it, and she was supposed to be, as hers was the next class.

Then an upper level rider with a wonka-be-snortasaurus came in. I didn't say anything, but after a few minutes the young rider's mother came over to me and said, "hey that guy isn't supposed to be here." I tried to talk to him but he blew me off and carried on. I called for the TD on my radio, and the upper level rider tried to bolt as soon as he saw the TB coming in. I called him back and said the TD wanted to have a word with him.

TD took him aside saying "So and So, let me explain the rules to you." I don't think he got in any kind of trouble/card/etc. (This was over 10 years ago, my memory ain't that great anymore....) But I did get the impression that 'smoothing things over' was the TD highest priority. The upper level rider was mondo pissed that he'd gotten tagged.

My impression over time has been the same. You have to do something seriously bad to get any kind of official reprimand. And the 'big fish' are highly skilled at working everyone's desire to avoid conflict. They will push as hard as they think they can get away with.

On the other hand, I was once witness to several folks on both sides of the fence working together to subvert the rules at a very,very big show. That was a naughty little bit of BS. So I know that when the stakes are big enough, people will break the rules to suit their ends, no matter which side of the fence they are on.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Well, Dressage News has not published a retraction. Neither CP nor the FEI have publicly refuted the article. ijs
    Dressage News HAS now published a retraction. Quote below:

(An earlier version reported that Cesar Parra had received a verbal warning from the CDI Steward. The CDI Steward reports that no verbal warning was issued.(Dressage-news.com regrets the error.)

Thanks. So whatever the Dressage News staffer saw or heard was NOT a verbal warning. Case closed.

3 members found this post helpful.

No excuse for getting that wrong!

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=20315

Quote Originally Posted by ponypappy View Post

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=20315
    Sure there is. DN saw the incident, saw the TD speak to Parra and assumed it was a verbal warning. Of course, should not have assumed--but if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck.....

DN has retracted only the statement that there was a verbal warning given.

4 members found this post helpful.

I've had to go to the TD for help. Adult competitor kept having his teenage son lead a specific horse by my trailer, and that horse would always stop, back up and kick the crap out of my horse before I could stop the situation. I needed a bullwhip for this type of behavior. I was trying to tack up for my class. I never warm up in the warm up ring unless I am forced to.

Anyway, I had already chewed the kid out the first time and told him to go walk the horse over in the twenty acre field that was 40' away.

He didn't, he waited until I was busy with my horse to walk his back by mine. TD had the announcer announce it over the loud speaker for the kid to keep the horse away from my trailer. TD went and spoke to the father ... anyway, I just tacked up as fast as I could and got away from my own trailer.

I don't know if anything was ever officially done, but really ....

I would have called that a "verbal warning", but probably not an "official verbal warning" ??

Okay, the official verbal warning part has apparently been cleared up. But, I do have an inquiring mind. What did he do? Does anyone know?
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

"Unidentified person stopping Van the Man ridden by Cesar Parra from running into another combination after the awards ceremony during the Wellington CDI3* Grand Prix."

combination could mean horse & rider ....

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    "Unidentified person stopping Van the Man ridden by Cesar Parra from running into another combination after the awards ceremony during the Wellington CDI3* Grand Prix."
    What does that have to do with the case here? Mikala had problems in the warm up the day before... Why do you need to find something? Nothing else to do?

As for this picture, maybe CP's horse was stressed and troubled by the ceremony...
    Oh no, that couldn't be right, CP is machiavelic and everything he does is bad and intentional.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am bored. Yes. But I also like to learn about protocol for things and see what other people have experienced. Sometimes.

And, I would like to see some attitudes kept in check a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    What does that have to do with the case here?
    It's a rather indicative example of how CP likes to barge in on anyone's space come hell or high water, he has little regard for personal boundaries, human or otherwise, because it seems everyone should acquiesce to his every little want or demand. He was much too close to the horse in front of him and he should have known better and been paying closer attention and/or had better control over his own animal. I don't care for the man or his methodologies. It's not the first time he's been in serious hot water regarding the care of a horse and it probably won't be the last.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

"Machiavellic". What a great word! Must go practice using it!

Quote Originally Posted by ponypappy View Post
    Exactly. DN should have verified with the FEI Steward before publishing.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    It's a rather indicative example of how CP likes to barge in on anyone's space come hell or high water....He was much too close to the horse in front of him and he should have known better and been paying closer attention and/or had better control over his own animal.
    Are you referring to the photo taken after the awards ceremony on DN ? That only captures a moment in time. How do we know that the horse in front of CP didn't stop ? Since we can't see the front of the line, we have no way of knowing what was going on ahead of the first horse. To be fair, CP certainly doesn't look like he's asking his horse to run up on the horse in front of him.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

3 members found this post helpful.