The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bingo.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    It cracks me up that many think an FEI warm-up arena filled with professionals at big show is going to be all sweetness and light. It is not a warm and welcoming environment. Pros are there for one reason only, to look good and win if they can. Even the most considerate riders are wrapped. p in their own work. It's every pair for themselves.

Though the stories I've heard cover the spectrum, I wouldn't know CP if I mowed him over with my wheelbarrow. I have no way of knowing what the truth about him really is but this just isn't newsworthy, imo.
    This is why there are ring stewards. As you say, riders at this level are professionals, and it is expected that they act with a semblence of professionalism. Sure, pros are there to win and look good. So are the owners and sponsors who foot the very large bills for the pros, esp at cdi shows. You can be sure the owners and sponsors of pairs will not take unprofessional tactics that lower *their* scores lying down. Nor should they. Again, that's why there ate ring stewards and lots of rules for cdi shows.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Again, that's why there ate ring stewards
    This simple typo just made my morning. Thanks for the giggle!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    This simple typo just made my morning. Thanks for the giggle!
    That's why there are a shortage of ring stewards, they get eaten! (I still can't type on my smartphone...)
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I think there's a huge difference between doing what you need to do to get your horse ready for the ring and deliberatly trying to throw your competition horse off his game.

Being a ring hogging oblivious diva is less offensive then attempting to run over a talented but sensitive horse on purpose.
    But again, making an assumption based on....what, exactly? A report by somebody who may or may not be objective? Countered by a new poster who claims to have been there, and spoke to the TD, who says that nothing happened? Quite honestly, there really doesn't sound like much happened, the mare is known to be distract able, so........ I'm no fan of CP (or almost any other UL rider, most of them are prima donnas) but since there seems to be more speculation than anything, I'll resist the urge to attack anyone. (give me a more well known, objective source of info and I'll reconsider)
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

I don't know if it really makes sense to excuse folks their bad behavior in warm ups on account of the 'pressures of the upper levels' and such. Maybe folks need to get instruction from masters at the SRS on how to behave in an arena with many other horses working at various levels.

The SRS is offering instruction now to the 'outside' world. Perhaps a course for FEI riders on how to conduct oneself in a busy ring is something they could be persuaded to offer.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I don't know if it really makes sense to excuse folks their bad behavior in warm ups on account of the 'pressures of the upper levels' and such. Maybe folks need to get instruction from masters at the SRS on how to behave in an arena with many other horses working at various levels.

The SRS is offering instruction now to the 'outside' world. Perhaps a course for FEI riders on how to conduct oneself in a busy ring is something they could be persuaded to offer.
    Apparently the word on the street is that when you reach the Grand Prix competition level, the ability to look ahead and steer goes out the window.

I hate it when that happens.

14 members found this post helpful.

I don't think it's all "pressures of the upper levels". It is not cotillion, lol, more like "welcome to the big leagues, this is how we roll". You have to be assertive, stand your ground. It is a competition and that's part of it.
    There was no card issued, was there even a protest filed? Really, this sounds like DQ drama.

CP has been accused of some serious stuff. Most of us have no way to discern the validity of those accusations.
    Chatter like this makes me go hmmmmmmm.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

There was no card issued, was there even a protest filed? Really, this sounds like DQ drama.
    And it all started because of one inflammatory paragraph in an article on Dressage-News.

It's one thing to describe Mikala's horse as "very upset...she was terrified" (per MG) by another horse in the warm up, as part of the story of her GP test. And since MG did not identify the horse, it should have been left at that.

But Dressage-News then added that they can identify the culprit as Parra's horse (they don't say why) and claimed that a verbal warning was given by the CDI Steward. The FEI Steward, when asked by another witness, denies that Parra got a warning.

I'm not a fan of Parra's, but D-N needs to straighten this out.
    Last edited by Mardi; Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:40 PM.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

1 members found this post helpful.

I do believe the thread has raised an issue that deserves some discussion. What exactly has happened to ring etiquette? Please don't tell me that riding at FEI levels or any level is an excuse to be a rude rider in the warm up areas. Far too many riders are riding with their heads down and seem to EXPECT other riders to just move out of the way like the parting of the Red Sea to accommodate their incorrect body position.
    Their clearly ARE some riders who make it part of their warm up to cut off other riders, ride up the butts of other horses and other rather rude riding tricks. I'm all for riders putting their all into their rides but bad sportsmanship speaks to the character or lack of character for the rider. It's about being professional.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't think it's all "pressures of the upper levels". It is not cotillion, lol, more like "welcome to the big leagues, this is how we roll". You have to be assertive, stand your ground. It is a competition and that's part of it.
    Ignoring CP for the moment, even horses for the moment, I don't agree that we should expect crappy behavior from folks at the top of the pyramid. Quite to the contrary.

Competition OUGHT NOT be equivalent to an excuse for powerful people to act like asses while parading their uber-accomplishments in public. Of late, society has allowed that to be the case.

This is circulating on FB today, and yes, this is the extreme end of the spectrum. http://m.gawker.com/5991175/this-two...trial-coverage But it is still a fact that this decision (of society's) to allow, excuse, even at times praise, bad behavior from 'successful' people is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    I do believe the thread has raised an issue that deserves some discussion. What exactly has happened to ring etiquette? Please don't tell me that riding at FEI levels or any level is an excuse to be a rude rider in the warm up areas. Far too many riders are riding with their heads down and seem to EXPECT other riders to just move out of the way like the parting of the Red Sea to accommodate their incorrect body position.
    Their clearly ARE some riders who make it part of their warm up to cut off other riders, ride up the butts of other horses and other rather rude riding tricks. I'm all for riders putting their all into their rides but bad sportsmanship speaks to the character or lack of character for the rider. It's about being professional.
    Yes I wonder if we should start another thread. I am very curious to hear from people what they expect of top level participants, in any sport. Do you expect/excuse bad behavior because "heck, that's what you gotta do to get to the top?" or not?

There is a local pro in my area who uses warm-up ring intimidation as part of show strategy. It's ugly, and no one thinks better of this pro because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    The FEI Steward, when asked by another witness, denies that Parra got a warning.
    Who was the witness? One of CP's "posse?" I imagine that verbal warnings may be private not public (as they are in most professions). The Dressage News person may have seen and heard it with his own eyes and ears, and yet the Steward would be unable to confirm it to the public.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Do you expect/excuse bad behavior because "heck, that's what you gotta do to get to the top?" or not?
    I expect professional and courteous behavior from top riders. They're held to the same, if not higher, standard than the rest of us.

Unfortunately I'm aware of their poor manners (through business) away from the horses. I chalk it up to their artist mentality. In the real business world, they'd be toast.

Ironically, some of the riders alluded to on this thread have been very polite and professional, while others (a few who are now nat'l coaches) have been a pain.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

The FEI Steward, when asked by another witness, denies that Parra got a warning.
    Stated as if fact?? AMazing.

Anonymous person spouting double? hearsay is not reliable information.

We don't know what happened . We only have 2 first hand accounts from named people and it can be confirmed whether or not thay were present for the incident. One from the other rider who did not name names and one from KB who says he witnessed the incident.

Whether he is right or wrong in his observations, it is at least a first hand account by a named person who apparently was present- that could be confirmed. If he really is 'lying', CP could sue him for libel.

You can't give the same credence to anonymous people/alters who claim to have spoken to officials. How is anyone able to check if anon was even there. On the other hand it could be CP or his grandmother trying to protect his wonderful reputation.

Only the officials can confirm what they said or did not say .

2 members found this post helpful.

I would like to set it straight that I am not a member of Dr. Parra's "Posse" I saw the thread and since I witnessed the warm up I figured I would shed some light on the subject. Everyone else on here seems to be bashing this man based upon inaccurate sources; which I believe to be unfair to anyone regardless if they are a big name or not. I Consulted with both the TD and the show manager because I wanted to base my post on accurate facts. They both denied any verbal warning and Elizabeth Williams, the TD, was actually bothered that Mr. Braddick made these accusations about her giving a warning when she did not.

I saw the thread and since I witnessed the warm up I figured I would shed some light on the subject.
    Maybe you did and maybe you didn't.

wait, wait - I ran out of popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by dressage320 View Post
    I would like to set it straight that I am not a member of Dr. Parra's "Posse" I saw the thread and since I witnessed the warm up I figured I would shed some light on the subject. Everyone else on here seems to be bashing this man based upon inaccurate sources; which I believe to be unfair to anyone regardless if they are a big name or not. I Consulted with both the TD and the show manager because I wanted to base my post on accurate facts. They both denied any verbal warning and Elizabeth Williams, the TD, was actually bothered that Mr. Braddick made these accusations about her giving a warning when she did not.
    Some people can bash Cesar Parra based on accurate, first-hand information. We don't need to read a thread on COTH to know what we already know about him.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

15 members found this post helpful.