The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    An eyewitness posted earlier that there was no verbal warning:
    "I was observing the warm up and there was no verbal warning from the steward, and certainly there was no intentional behavior from Cesar Parra: the steward simply walked over and placed herself between the two horses. Mikala seemed to be having difficulty with her mare prior to this "incident", riding the horse with the chin to the chest."

Dressage News said there was a warning: "...dressage-news.com witnessed the horse and rider as Van the Man ridden by Cesar Parra of the United States. The pair received a verbal warning from the CDI steward...."

So we have conflicting reports.
    We have a report from someone who joined specifically to post in this thread and has a total of two posts. Who didn't observe something happening; neither did I, which doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I'm curious with the new claims that the TD and officials say there was no warning issued and whether or not that is true. Because while I would most definitely say the pictures chosen for that article imply a bias against CP, it seems as if claiming there was a witness to a verbal warning if there wasn't one would be opening oneself to a legitimate lawsuit, and I don't think KB has come across as that careless.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

4 members found this post helpful.

That's why I question what Mr. Braddick wrote...not that he's misrepresenting the truth, but it's possible what he thought he (or his representative) saw happening, was actually something else.

The two-poster person says they were at the warm-up during incident and no warning was given. To be sure, he/she says they asked the FEI Steward (Elisabeth Williams) if CP had received a warning, and the answer was no.

Until Dressage-News counters with an official confirmation of what they claim happened.....
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Sounds like he was show boating a bit. Or could be some "friendly" (read: not friendly at all, just not violent) pre competition intimidation

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    And what is your point with the yellow card? He entered the ring when he wasn't supposed to. Big deal.
    I've seen that to many shows, World Cup and al. by various riders. Most shows don't bother that much.
    I had dinner with one of the judges after the pan am games and reportedly it was a bigger deal than just entering the ring....reportedly CP was very rude to the ring steward who tried to redirect him.

That being said, I personally have warmed up with CP and his staff frequently and have never had a problem. I have been stabled in the same barn and found everyone fun, happy and helpful.

I didn't see the exact warm up incident but here are the facts I know to be true:

1. Ken Braddick was at the show. I saw him leaving the FEI warm up on what I believe was the day of the 'incident'
    2. Mikala is NOT a drama queen. She's one of the nicest, most professional CDI competitors I know.
    3. My Lady is a talented, sensitive horse. She had issues with focus last year which seem to have been largely overcome.
    4. Cesar used to ride for Horses Unlimited. He was primarily replaced by Mikala.

aside:
    Mikala does something I find interesting to prepare for a ride. She will get in a reclining lawn chair, put in earphones and work on focus for a few minutes. I've never timed her, but she seems to stay a good while. I think she told me once that she listens to music but I'm not sure I remember exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    I have heard of quite a few instances where various UL riders acted like jerks in the warm-up ring - a few that come to mind from past years are Michelle Gibson, Leslie Morse, Tina Konyot, Evi Strasser, Robert Dover. I also know of other *very* highly lauded HP riders who have ripped off clients in sales, in much the same way CP is accused of doing in that case we keep hearing about. In one such case, the rider’s super wealthy sponsor stepped in and paid off the scammed client to keep the case out of court and out of the press, so her rider’s “golden boy” aura would not be tarnished by bad publicity.

That said, there does seem to be a fair amount of jealousy toward5 CP on the part of various other riders. Some seem to really resent the fact that he hasn’t had to spend decades working his way to the top like most other HP riders. He comes from old Columbia money, he gave up a highly lucrative practice in cosmetic dentistry/oral surgery to pursue his riding career, and he has shot to the upper echelon by purchasing very high end horses in Europe, attracting very wealthy clients and sponsors, and building a solid team of young riders and assistants who make his operation run like clockwork. And then he added salt to the wound by becoming a U.S. citizen, so other riders have to contend against him for a spot on U.S. teams – and some feel that is grossly unfair, because many of them are scrapping for every $$$ to keep going, while funding is never an issue for him (and TPTB at USEF tend to have a soft spot for HP riders who don’t have to struggle to raise funds, esp. when it comes time to select teams for international competition).

And yes, there is a bit of "history" between him and Ken Braddick, which is why dressage-news.com publishes such unflattering photos and news stories about him.
    OH PLEASE.

He may have to raise his scores a bit before the other US riders worry about having to contend against him. He had zero chance of making the team for London.

People are just worried about what cray cray moves he is going to pull in the warmup.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EnzoDbr9 View Post
    Sounds like he was show boating a bit.
    Agree with this. He is quite the showman by nature, and seems to always be show boating / grandstanding.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

He may have to raise his scores a bit before the other US riders worry about having to contend against him. He had zero chance of making the team for London.

People are just worried about what cray cray moves he is going to pull in the warmup.
    Also agree with this. He has a ways to go score wise, and I am not sure Van the Man is the horse for the job. He gets unsettled from time to time.

From now on I'm going to imagine that Mr. Parra has lots of On the Waterfront / Raging Bull moments within the privacy of his own barn.

"I COULDA BEEN A CONTENDAH!!"

Van the Man probably gets unsettled because he knows he could get a better deal in someone else's barn. Horses do gossip.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    OH PLEASE.

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Van the Man probably gets unsettled because he knows he could get a better deal in someone else's barn. Horses do gossip.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Well, he did have a bit of reputation in Europe, too, and well before CP entered the picture.

But I wonder how much he will gossip. He probably had to sign a non-disclosure agreement...

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by amm2cd View Post
    (I'm visualizing the Dramatic Squirrel in the warmup...
    ...carry on.)
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

1 members found this post helpful.

And a comment from a bystander, who isn't really into dressage or horses of any sort: "If he was a "bad boy" basketball or football player, instead of being crucified by the public, he would have legions of adoring fans throwing themselves at his feet, sportscasters hanging on his every word, paparazzi following him around, etc. Sounds like his main problem is he is in the wrong sport."

5 members found this post helpful.

Yes, and we can all raise out wineglasses to Michael Vick while we're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    And a comment from a bystander, who isn't really into dressage or horses of any sort: "If he was a "bad boy" basketball or football player, instead of being crucified by the public, he would have legions of adoring fans throwing themselves at his feet, sportscasters hanging on his every word, paparazzi following him around, etc. Sounds like his main problem is he is in the wrong sport."
    Yes, well, bad boy athletes generally get their "bad boy" reps from swashbuckling around, tax evading, getting in traffic violations, going to strip clubs, intoxication, etc. Who was that figure skater who refused to pay income tax and improvised all of his skating routines off the cuff? Oh, and David Beckham wearing a sarong made news. So if the reputee allegedly drives too fast, won't pay income tax, and wears skirts that is one thing.

People are less forgiving when the "bad boy" reputation is that the reputee beats up animals.

Picture of David Beckham in a sarong? Actually kind of hot.
    Video of CP standing there while a horse thrashes in the dirt spraying blood out its nose? Not so hot.

8 members found this post helpful.

It cracks me up that many think an FEI warm-up arena filled with professionals at big show is going to be all sweetness and light. It is not a warm and welcoming environment. Pros are there for one reason only, to look good and win if they can. Even the most considerate riders are wrapped up in their own work. It's every pair for themselves.

Though the stories I've heard cover the spectrum, I wouldn't know CP if I mowed him over with my wheelbarrow. I have no way of knowing what the truth about him really is but this just isn't newsworthy, imo.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I wasn't there about have talked to someone who was. I can understand that CP has his groupies and sycophants, but am puzzled about the keyboard jockeys who don't know him but defend him based on what they imagine happened
    And you are not puzzled by those who don't know him, weren't there but eagerly bash him based on what they imagine happened

I think there's a huge difference between doing what you need to do to get your horse ready for the ring and deliberatly trying to throw your competition horse off his game.

Being a ring hogging oblivious diva is less offensive then attempting to run over a talented but sensitive horse on purpose.

7 members found this post helpful.