The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    I have personal experience with CP being an absolute jerk in the warm-up ring at Devon trying to intimidate other riders to make room for him. What a piece of work!
    I'll substitute NJ Horse Park for Devon and second that report.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    That said, there does seem to be a fair amount of jealousy toward CP on the part of various other riders.
    I wouldn't call it "jealousy." I audited a clinic with him and found his attitude to be boastful and arrogant in the extreme. He also comes across as misogynistic, which I guess is no surprise given his cultural background.

People don't have to be "jealous" to dislike someone like CP. There is enough there not to like.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

15 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like being a little fish in a little pond has its rewards.

Having ridden in the busy warm ups in Wellington as well as Devon, I can say without a doubt that courtesy is thrown by the wayside. I don't think it is intentional, just the hyperfocus needed in the test creating a tunnel vision beforehand. Not an excuse, however. Perhaps a mistake in judgment, which said individual seems to be having a multitude of lately.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have heard of quite a few instances where various UL riders acted like jerks in the warm-up ring - a few that come to mind from past years are Michelle Gibson, Leslie Morse, Tina Konyot, Evi Strasser, Robert Dover. I also know of other *very* highly lauded HP riders who have ripped off clients in sales, in much the same way CP is accused of doing in that case we keep hearing about. In one such case, the rider’s super wealthy sponsor stepped in and paid off the scammed client to keep the case out of court and out of the press, so her rider’s “golden boy” aura would not be tarnished by bad publicity.

That said, there does seem to be a fair amount of jealousy toward CP on the part of various other riders. Some seem to really resent the fact that he hasn’t had to spend decades working his way to the top like most other HP riders. He comes from old Columbia money, he gave up a highly lucrative practice in cosmetic dentistry/oral surgery to pursue his riding career, and he has shot to the upper echelon by purchasing very high end horses in Europe, attracting very wealthy clients and sponsors, and building a solid team of young riders and assistants who make his operation run like clockwork. And then he added salt to the wound by becoming a U.S. citizen, so other riders have to contend against him for a spot on U.S. teams – and some feel that is grossly unfair, because many of them are scrapping for every $$$ to keep going, while funding is never an issue for him (and TPTB at USEF tend to have a soft spot for HP riders who don’t have to struggle to raise funds, esp. when it comes time to select teams for international competition).

And yes, there is a bit of "history" between him and Ken Braddick, which is why dressage-news.com publishes such unflattering photos and news stories about him.
    You nailed it.

And to anyone who thinks riders not the focus of of this negative microscope are all sweetness and light just spend some time sitting quietly in non peak times at the FEI shows. Having grown up in the hunter world I have had my jaw drop open more than once by what some 'TOP' riders consider unfair exposure in the ring, and the almost comical hissy fits that can occur.

Some seem to only function in a perfectly quiet library-esk setting where no one moves lest they and their horse realize they are not alone on the planet. Then there is C.P. smiling while they warm up alone or in comany. I guess that could come off as bravado but maybe he just appreciates what he gets to do for a living and is enjoying it.

2 members found this post helpful.

That said, there does seem to be a fair amount of jealousy toward CP on the part of various other riders.
    where is the evidence of that?

I'll substitute Raleigh for the NJ Horse Park and Devon and third that report.

5 members found this post helpful.

I wasn't there and can't comment on the particulars, but I have seen the warm up at other major venues (Gladstone being one of them) and am not surprised. There is always going to be a bit of drama at these sorts of things.

Warmup rings are almost always a bit chaotic at some point whether from deliberate intimidation, or probably more often, just general insensitivity. In my experience, a lot of people ride as if they are the only person in the ring, oblivious to what other people are doing. On some levels you want to be able to focus just on you and your horse. However, if people are too into themselves and not watching what they are doing, it can mess up other peoples' warmups. Kind of like someone calls something out, say a diagonal because they want to do extended trot or changes, and the other people go right into that path without thinking.

i see that kind of thing happen frequently.

I was curious about the situation so I spoke to both Elizabeth Williams, the TD and Lloyd Landkamer, the show manager and they confirmed there was no verbal warning issued during the CDI warmup and Dr Parra has apparently shown nothing but professional showmanship and horsemanship during the competition. He also has in excess of 15 horses showing at this show, virtually all of which have won their respective classes. Ken Braddick, the reporter from Dressage News has obviously lied about this situation which makes me question his credibility in general....

Quote Originally Posted by dressage320 View Post
    I was curious about the situation so I spoke to both Elizabeth Williams, the TD and Lloyd Landkamer, the show manager and they confirmed there was no verbal warning issued during the CDI warmup and Dr Parra has apparently shown nothing but professional showmanship and horsemanship during the competition. He also has in excess of 15 horses showing at this show, virtually all of which have won their respective classes. Ken Braddick, the reporter from Dressage News has obviously lied about this situation which makes me question his credibility in general....
    dun Dun DUUUUNNNNNN

Carry on.

11 members found this post helpful.

And we should believe anonymous you. why? What is your connection with CP?

At least KB signs his name to his reports.

8 members found this post helpful.

.....(and TPTB at USEF tend.....).
    What does TPTB mean ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

The Powers That Be

I love how this board pretends to be All Things Dressage and We are IT but no on was in the warm up or at the show

OOPS- where were you, Izzy et al?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Or Toilet Paper that @#$@#$

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    And we should believe anonymous you. why?
    Because dressage320 NAMED the TD and showmanager who confirmed what he/she witnessed: no warning was given to CP.

Mr. Braddick says "dressage-news" witnessed the warning. Was that Mr. Braddick himself, or a representative ? Let's ask Mr. B to name a show official who confirms what "dressage-news" witnessed.

That's only fair.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Why would anyone be surprised he was issued a verbal warning when he is listed on USEF as being the only dressage rider in the US to ever be yellow flagged at the Pan American Games.

Do you know what his yellow card was for ?
    "Entering the arena without authorization."

Here's the current FEI list of dressage riders issued yellow card warnings.
    3 are for "vaccination irregularities", 2 are for horse abuse, and 1 is for an expired passport.

http://www.fei.org/sites/default/fil...ssage_2011.pdf
    -Amor vincit omnia-

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the link Mardi,

As I said he is the only US rider to be given a yellow card, as the link shows the others are from other countries.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not sure what your point is.

A U.S. reiner was a given a yellow card by the FEI last year in Oklahoma for incorrect behavior towards an event official.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by ponypappy View Post
    Why would anyone be surprised he was issued a verbal warning when he is listed on USEF as being the only dressage rider in the US to ever be yellow flagged at the Pan American Games.
    As Dressage320 found out, there was NO verbal warning.

And what is your point with the yellow card? He entered the ring when he wasn't supposed to. Big deal.
    I've seen that to many shows, World Cup and al. by various riders. Most shows don't bother that much.