The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

LauraKY - I think you are right. Shade seems miles better today. I am just making breakfast for her now - eggs and rice. Cross fingers she will eat it for me, I`m out of chicken.

It amazes me how fast my DH loses patience. But then again he wasn`t the one trying to feed our kids when they were younger.

I can`t wait to see what the vet says today.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sigh - she wouldn`t eat the eggs and rice. This is not normal at all. She loves eggs and will normally eat any people food no questions asked.

Sorry to see this. Get more chicken and we'll keep jingling. Hopefully her blood values continue to improve

Poor Shade. Let us know what the vet says. Sometimes when dogs are nauseated and haven't eaten, getting them to take in a little honey will stimulate the appetite. Just put it in a syringe and syringe into her mouth. Honey, maple syrup, whatever you have around.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I think she really wants to eat, but can`t. She stares at her food dish with her regular kibble. Her BM`s are like tar, only orange/brown.

I think I will just stick to the chicken/rice and not worry about spoiling her (DH's opinion not mine )

Wow, what a emotional journey this has been. Shade is adorable and I'm so glad that she is home and on the road to recovery. It'll take time since she's been through so much but with the excellent care she has from both you and your vet, I'm sure she'll come through it all just fine.

One thing that you might want to ask your vet at your appointment today is about adding Pepcid AC to her medications. I've had my vet recommend it many times and it does help whenever there is any GI upset. Shades medications could easily be causing stomach upset so maybe adding Pepcid would help calm her tummy down a bit. Of course you may already be doing this.

Another thing that would be very helpful (and you may already be doing this too) but if not, adding a really good probiotic while Shade is on antibiotics would be very beneficial during her recovery.

I hope that your appointment today gives more good news about her levels.

My crew and I are jingling loudly!

Jingles for Shade. Hope to hear good news from the vet!

Is she still on antibiotics? Sometimes certain antibiotics dont do well with our GI systems and cause nausea.

But yes, you are right, she has been through a lot and while young dogs recover from spays very quickly, older sick dogs do not. Hang in there... paws crossed for her.

Will she eat if you hand feed her? All of the manipulating at the vet's could have made her back/neck sore, so she doesn't want to bend over to her food dish. Try a raised food dish, if she eats from your hand...

Will she eat if you hand feed her? All of the manipulating at the vet's could have made her back/neck sore, (she's older and could have arthritis that was exacerbated) so she doesn't want to bend over to her food dish. Try a raised food dish, if she eats from your hand...

Back from the vet. Shade is still not out of the woods yet. While she is showing some improvement she still shows signs of pain in her belly. No fever etc.

She is on several different medications - antibiotics, pro-biotics, suplements, anti-nausea and pain. The vet gave her fluids and something to stimulate her appetite and it seems to have helped a bit. She ate some of her regular kibble with tuna water on it when we got home.

I have tried hand feeding and bowl feeding. I have 4 bowls of different food out that no pet will touch.

I bought some pill pockets at the vets and Shade loves them, so it will help to seperate the medication from her food.

We go back Tuesday to recheck her and do blood work

Every day she is doing ok is one day ahead, her body slowly getting well.

Seems that she is holding well, considering what she went thru.
    Hoping for good blood work reports next week.

Every day she is doing ok is one day ahead, her body slowly getting well.
    This .. it sounds as if it just going to take time. Jingles that it won't be too long.

(In the meantime, it sounds as if it Shade is providing good training in patience for your DH.)

Another though/idea. Make chicken broth by searing chicken parts with skin, so you get the browning, then boil the chicken using the seared pan and make your own homemade broth. Cook and skim the fat, then soak a small amount (1/2 cup-ish) in the broth, add cooked diced chicken and rice to the soft kibble and see if she is willing to eat that?

I broke my leg badly once and was on pain meds that would make me vomit if I didn't buffer it with a bit of food 15 minutes before taking them. Perhaps you could feed her a little before the antibiotics and pain meds?

I had a dog who had liver disease and one of the meds had to be taken on an empty stomach, I was advised that I should wait at least 2 hours for the meds to clear the stomach.

the 2 things above to give you a time frame-ish to work with should you choose to try them.

I have *raises eyes up to thank all deities* never had to deal with a dog who had pancreatitis, but from what I understand they sometimes have a hard time learning to eat again. As Squish (?) said, sometimes it's a negative association.

one more thought, if she will eat a spoonful or a handful at a time (I believe you said you are a SAHM), can you offer her a small portion through the day?

Keep letting us know, so I can keep thinking of different things to try. Some times ideas (for me) are triggered by how a post is phrased.

I guess it does take a while to clear the pancreatitis. It could be what is holding her back now. Or it could be a combination of everything.

Yes I am a SAHM for now, so I have time to take care of her. Tonight I had to hand feed her chicken.

I do feel better about how she is doing today. I am really hoping she has turned the corner for us.

This is the first time I have ever had such a sick animal.

cnigh said: This is the first time I have ever had such a sick animal.

Me: it is so frightening when they are slow to recover. You second guess everything you do or have done. But she IS here now, and she did eat for you. That is progress.

How long will it be till she is done with her antibiotics?

Meds - some are 3 to 10 days, others are 30+ days. She will go back on the Orbax for 3 weeks once she is done these. I have it all charted/colour coded on the fridge.

Oh boy do you second/third/fourth guess everything. Food is always the last thing on my mind. I'm the type of person if I don't eat today, I'll get something tomorrow. Now my dog is doing it to me and its driving me nuts - lol!

just before you finish up the antibiotics, ask your vet if you can try 3-5 days before starting another. That should be enough time to know if it's *that* med that is causing her to not want to eat. S/he might say no, and I'd absolutely follow whatever advice you are given, but they might be willing to try a short stay of none to see if it helps her appetite

I will ask them. The vet did mention it would be wise to keep her on antibiotics for 6 to 8 weeks.

How long does an appetite simulant usually last? I think it has worn off already. She doesn't want to eat the pill pockets this morning. I gave her some chicken and she ate it slowly. I'm going to give her some time before I try the medications again.

Yay, for another promising update. There's nothing wrong with *baby steps*! She'll get there, in time.

Sounds like your vet has all of the bases covered with the anti-nausea meds, probiotics, antibiotics, etc.

I have to smile at your color-coded chart, I did the exact same thing when one of our dogs was critically ill from contaminated dog kibble a few years ago. She was on a ton of meds and I made an excel spreadsheet (color-coded ) showing what she was to get and when. Hey, whatever works, right?

When my dog didn't want to eat anything at all I had the Pepcid AC injections to give at home (rather than the pills). My vet also had some kind of prescription food (it came in a small can like a cat food can) that for some "magical" reason, even the sickest of animals will eat. I can't remember what the name of it was and although I never feed that kind of *garbage* food, we gave it a try and it actually worked! So at least knowing that it was only a short term diet, our dog was eating and getting something into her to give her energy for the time being.

I hope that Shade continues with her "baby steps" to recovery and that your next appt. gives more good news.