The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thank you so much guys. Your support has really helped get me through this.

Shade goes back Saturday, all being well. Blood work will depend on how she is doing at that point. It will take time for the infection to clear from her system.

edited to add - Altogther its is just under $5000 with taxes, but only because the vet was so good to us. I can`t thank them enough. And yes Shade is worth every penny.

1 members found this post helpful.

Glad she's home! I hope the rest of her recovery is uneventful!

All is well that ends well, glad that she is home now.

For pills, get cheese, roll it in your fingers until it is soft, stick the pills in there, open mouth and poke it down as far as you can, hold head up and massage underneath for a bit, then have a party and super good treats and a little soft playtime.

My dog, when she was on seizure medication, got where she could not wait to get a pill poked down, that was when the fun began.

Hoping she keeps improving fast and gets back to normal.
    Good to be home, is what she is thinking.

So happy she is home!!
    ouch for the bill, but she is worth it... Here's to many healthy years together...

I agree with the cheese, and the cheaper and uglier looking is better. Dogs love cheap American cheese.

I've tried those pill pickets, and the dog hated them.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I am so happy for you and Shade!

I put the pills in some chicken this morning and she ate them no problem. I hope I haven`t created a monster with the all chicken diet. She HAS to start eating something else. I don`t want to kill her with kindness, if you know what I mean. It`s a catch 22, with needing low protien for the kidneys and low fat for the pancreatitis. That leaves high carbs - Ugh!

Someone missed her chair. It`s a huge oversized stuffed thing. ($800 nursing chair somehow turned dog bed )

She has been very quiet in the house, but perked up enough to lope around the backyard a bit this morning. I will get some pictures of her when I take her out later.

Is cheese really ok for dogs with kidney problems? I haven't tried it or the pill pockets. She will usually take pills in peanut butter, but not now.

Quote Originally Posted by cnigh View Post
    Is cheese really ok for dogs with kidney problems? I haven't tried it or the pill pockets. She will usually take pills in peanut butter, but not now.
    You need to ask your vet what she can eat or not and what not at all.

That bit of cheese with a pill, I would think, is not enough to hurt, unless she was allergic to cheese, but better ask the vet.

Maybe you could put some chicken and cooked sweet or regular potato in a food processor, gradually decreasing the chicken? Those are good carbs. Maybe add some veg like green beans once she's chowing well?

I use liverwurst as my go-to for pilling difficult dogs, but am not sure that would be OK for her. Since its such a small amount, you might ask the vet if it would be OK to try.

Quote Originally Posted by cnigh View Post
    I put the pills in some chicken this morning and she ate them no problem. I hope I haven`t created a monster with the all chicken diet.
    once she has the all clear, you can gradually bring her back to what she was eating before she got sick. Check with your vet, but right now she may just need to learn to eat again. If I remember correctly, just before she came home she had some issues with nausea? If that is the case, it might not be a princess syndrome but a not feeling perky issue.

She HAS to start eating something else. I don`t want to kill her with kindness, if you know what I mean. It`s a catch 22, with needing low protien for the kidneys and low fat for the pancreatitis. That leaves high carbs - Ugh!
    no.....low protein does not equal no protein. I think chicken would be an easily digestible protein or the vet would not have permitted it at the hospital.

Someone missed her chair. It`s a huge oversized stuffed thing. ($800 nursing chair somehow turned dog bed )
    awww.

When my dog was on pills, I varied between wrapping it in cheese, chicken lunch meat, and bread. He loved all of them and every time I touched a pill bottle got excited for his treat! It would give him just the tiniest bit to barely over the pill and he would take it when it came to the cheese. I agree to ask the vet what they think is safe.

Yippeee! Hooray for Shade (and you OP.)
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Member of Kathy S. has me on ignore club.

Shade is ok, I think. She is eating the chicken and meds for me, but is still nauseous. She hasn't vomitted since she has been home, but has retched up water a couple of times.

She is very very quiet today. I'm going to take her outside now for some fresh air, hopefully she will pick up a bit.

If you have any questions, run her by the vet, don't wait it out, she was very sick and may still have some problems that you can catch early enough not to become serious.

Do you take her temperature, to be sure she is not running a fever, check her gums, etc.?

The medications, after being that sick, may keep making her nauseous.
    Maybe, if that is still a problem, your vet can give her something for that or change her medications?

1 members found this post helpful.

I second the "take her in if she seems nqr"... particularly since we are heading into the weekend.

If you are concerned about the protein in an all-chicken diet, I mentioned earlier that I fed my elderly kidney-comprised dog a mixture of chicken and rice - cooked together so that the chicken flavored the rice. A good way to get some extra liquids in also.

She goes back in to the vet tomorrow morning to check her. I am keeping an eye on her and will rush her back if needed. There is no doubt she is still a very sick dog. It will take time for her to heal.

I'm sure the poor baby is really sore, and is going to take a long time to get back to normal. It does sound as if she's healing though.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

When my 15 year old cocker had emergency gall bladder surgery about a month ago, she seemed great when she first got home too. The second day she had my quite worried because she was so lethargic, took her temp and it was normal, so I monitored her quite closely. She started to bounce back the next day. I suspect she was so happy to be home that she over did it.

Here's hoping that's what is going on with Shade. Jingles, jingle, jingles.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Member of Kathy S. has me on ignore club.