The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

I'm so very sorry for your loss of Shade.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

No lovey, it's not mine. It's been passed around among friends for so long, I'm not sure where it originally came from.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by cnigh View Post
    Shade was a wonderful girl to the end. She went very quickly and peacefully. We were all with her, her boys, my husband and myself.

We will always miss her.
    So sorry.
    Hugs to all.

I just saw this thread and had to add my voice. I am so, so sorry for your loss. Wishing you strength and courage to get through this awful time.

Just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss.
    Take good care of yourself. Really really sorry.

I have followed this thread from the beginning. I'm so very sorry you lost Shade. God speed to the Bridge; you were very much loved.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Such a treasured dog Shade was, so obvious in your words during this terrible time. I am very sorry for your family's loss and pray you will take comfort in the wonderful life you gave her. She was so fortunate to have all of you as hers.

Laura's poem was perfect and pretty much says it all for many of us. You really devoted yourself to caring for Shade so tenderly in these past few weeks. Take care and may Shade rest in peace. I believe that you will see her again.

3 members found this post helpful.

Shade was a very lucky girl to have you as a representative for her needs. You should be proud of yourself for being there for her when she really needed it and supporting her through her life, and letting her go when it was time. Im so sorry, hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No lovey, it's not mine. It's been passed around among friends for so long, I'm not sure where it originally came from.
    Thanks Laura, it is now in my archives along with The Fragile Circle and The Rainbow Bridge. Such heartfelt and beautiful prose, and so cathartic. What works for me is all-out grieving - crying yourself out, crying until you cant muster another moan or tear. It is a sequence I know well, and over the years of loss, I take comfort in the "routine", as it were, of allowing myself to grieve the way I need to.

As various people have said, grief is the price we pay for love.

Thinking of you guys, cnigh.

I am so very sorry to see this update and I am thinking of you and your family.

I spent a great deal of time today reading through these pages, and I cannot express enough condolences to you, cnigh. I am so very, very sorry. You cared for Shade in a very loving manner...rest assured she knew you did all you could.

Please rest easy. She'll never be away from you; she will always be there watching out for you.

Gentle hugs from Southern Colorado.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

So sorry to read she passed away.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Oh I am just so saddened to read this!!! Godspeed to your beautiful Shade.
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
    friendship without envy or beauty without vanity?
    Ode to the Horse. ~ Ronald Duncan

Thank you for all your kindness.

We miss her so much. I just want to be able to hold her again. This last week at home in my arms was her gift to me.

Here are the last pictures of her with her family.

Shadey and Dynamite
    http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps7a6d6e70.jpg

Shadey with her boys
    http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...psde94c54d.jpg

And being loved by mom and dad
    http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps95ba937a.jpg

It hurts me to watch my husband and kids go through this. None of them have ever lost a loved one before. My DH is really missing his best friend.

My kids are asking lots of questions while grieving which is good.

I know there's a Shade-sized hole in your lives right now; my heart is aching for all of you.
    But know that you did absolutely the best you could have done for her and now she's romping about like a young healthy girl!

I'm just checking back...I know how hard the first weeks are. I know, for me at least, the kind comments on COTH really helped me emotionally when I lost one after another last year and the year before.

We're thinking of you and Shade.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

thinking of you. It is hard because you think you hear them, you still hear their steps on the floor, you come home (in my case) and there is no dog wagging his tail to welcome you. You look at other people walking their dogs with envy. You wonder if you will ever put yourself through this kind of grief. (((hugs)))
    I hope your vet showed more empathy than my FORMER vet who chatted all along about how she could afford to send her parents on an European vacation while my dog was being put to sleep. And then presented me with a $400 bill ...
    I never set foot in her clinic again. My grief turned to anger towards the vet... which helped me a little bit.

I wrote about my battle with death over my dog earlier in the thread. Unfortunately in our case death won as well. We had a two week roller coaster of ups and downs until it was very clear what the outcome would be. The tiniest of silver linings is that the rollercoaster prepares you -- a little bit -- for their loss.

I found writing down every single thing I could remember about my dog made me feel a bit better. It has been five years, and I now can think back on my dog and smile at the memories. But it probably took a good two years to get to this point.

I hope you take comfort in knowing you did everything you could for Shade, and she knew how much you loved her.

I am another one who believes that you will see her again.

After all you went through, I'm terribly sorry that you ended up here. The pain is horrible but your sunshine will return and for you and your family I hope it will be sooner rather than later. I'm just so sorry for your pain - one most all of us here know all too well - {{{HUGS}}}
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Thanks guys.

The vets and techs were very good to us. There is nothing on their end that went wrong, she just went down hill after being spayed.

There was one thing at the end that I don`t understand. Late Wednesday night there was a large amount of discharge (mucus) from her vulva. I`m not sure why that would happen. Does that mean the Pyometra remained in the stumps after surgery and continued to spread?