The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spin Off: (from Around the Farm) Who has CL horses?

Who here has purchased a horse off of Craigslist? Pictures? Stories? I would love to see how many have done it. I look everyday and I even tried to sell a 12k horse on there. I had some "interesting" replies and these were not "across the Pond" scammers.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I've got one... I actually found him for half lease on CL and then ended up buying him a year and a half later. He's going to be making his PSG debut at 20 this summer

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...fe_passage.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

He is freaking cute! and fancy Do you know his bloodlines?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde

Yes, this nice 10 YO TWH.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...47484538_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...73349687_n.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanpr/8408639017/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanpr/8409738420/

He's a nice horse. He was a little twitchy/worried at first, but now he's just a big pet. And he has a lovely running walk and canter.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    He is freaking cute! and fancy Do you know his bloodlines?
    Thanks! He's not as flashy a mover as the more modern warmbloods but he's super solid, great mind, and (knock on wood) he's as sound as the day is long! He's a W-Line Hanoverian. Very old school - His sire is World Cup I.

I got him for a song but he was definitely a re-school project. Fortunately he just has such a great mind that it's been consistent, awesome progress since the day I started riding him. I've been riding him for 4 years now, owned him for 2 1/2. He was realistically going TL when I got him. Had him to a solid 3rd level within 2 years and schooling 4th/PSG last year but I didn't get to show at all. Very excited to make our PSG debut this year, we've done a couple of schooling shows with very good results so far

5 members found this post helpful.

He looks very much like the old style. I love his face and he has some big bones... you need to post some pix and results here when he does his debut!!

@ katarine: Awww a Pali He looks super sweet
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde

I helped my old trainer/bo buy two ponies off Craigslist. I was closer to the ad, so went with my mom and a saddle and the vague instructions to 'tell me how it goes'. Got there and the ponies were little backyard poof balls, a little girthy and sour but nothing that my trainer wouldn't mind working with (ie letting his intermediate pony jocks school for a bit). They were in his lesson program for years.

Cl wouldn't be my first place to look for a horse but I'd definitely check it out and not discount an ad because it was cl.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

We found my daughters appaloosa mare on CL. The girl was using her for barrel racing and games but they also used her for beginning riders and inexperienced riders because she was so calm and good minded. She has been everything they advertised and more. My daughter just likes to plod along and this mare has never gone faster than my daughter wants her to. She road rides like a dream and nothing bothers her. Never had a health issue and feet like iron. 12 yrs old now . we have had her 2 1/2 years.
    Last edited by candyappy; Mar. 18, 2013 at 03:09 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

I bought my branded RPSI mare from Craigslist. She has become a really lovely horse, a solid 3'6" jumper that gets compliments every where we go. I paid next to nothing!

I found my mini, Nigel on Craigslist. All my goats came from there too.

It's is my CL horse. A friend of a friend called on the ad and went to see him. She passed on him, but emailed the pictures and contact info.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10110192...06575434831714

He's an OTTB, and he doesn't look quite that nice when I ride him, but he's a great match for me.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Some really nice horses Pix pix pix!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Cowboymom found me one on CL to go look at for my daughter. The ad was for a 15hh 16 year old mare, child safe, ropes both ends, pasture ropes and ridden through back country.

I got an amazing little grey mare that ended up sticking at 14.1, can jump like nobody's business, has changes installed, safe to go out through the fields with DD and the dog for hours by themselves. And ropes. Appendix bred, so very pretty face. All this for $1200. We did do her hocks to keep her comfy and happy

I think all my pics are on FB and private, since they involve DD.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I bought Holly off CL and she is an ASB. I was only looking for "just a horse". Someone to ride while I took lessons. I'm an adult re-rider and I had my plan in place - get trailer, truck and all gear, then look for the horse. Trouble was I kept checking the market on CL and then saw her...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...93958056_n.jpg

This photo was one of the ad photos. She was listed as trained and had been shown as a weaning, yearling in halter and as a 3-YO in Saddleseat, doing fairly well in the small futurities at Westworld in Scottsdale, all firsts except for one 3rd, I believe.

Seller lunged her, rode her in the paddock, then I tried her. She seemed like she had a good head on her shoulders, but had been sitting around. The owner had quit riding her - "gotten into other things" so I knew she would need a brush up and was planning to send her out for some training. Took her home, had her shod and tried one short trail ride with her dallied to a stout TWH stud. She came back lame and then the odyssey began.

Vet diagnosed her with a bone chip in the left front fetlock. Gave her HA injection and said this would have to be done as needed for her life. I really wanted to heal her, and not just cover up things, so started looking around about bone chips, and decided that surgery was probably better and got Doctors ok for that. I had a medical thing of my own that needed to be taken care of, so her surgery was put off. So for a while, I just went to the barn and took her for walks. That turned out to be a good thing. She has put on some weight, which I think will be an aid to recovery and she's settled into liking me. I enjoy having a horse who's all ears up and bright when I show up!

Finally got surgery done the other day and now she is on stall rest with a three month total recovery period.

What made the costs worth it for me was that I seem to have fallen into a very well-bred mare. She is by RA Hot Every Night

http://www.chacaro.com/stallions/hot_every_nite.php

which makes her a half sister to:

One Hot Cookie, 2005 Pinto World Supreme Champion of Champions
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/one+hot+cookie

CH Doctor Zhivago, 2010 Open Park World’s Champion of Champions
    http://www.tnh1865.com/wc26

And out of a CH The King of Highpoint mare named Queena Da Nile. This stallion (Highpoint) is the same broodmare sire of a gelding named CH Good Deal, who is the first Saddlebred to earn all his points in Hunter.

This isn't a real good picture, but most recent - her margarita is kicking in as she is prepped for surgery.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...88722058_n.jpg

Her registered name: HOTDAM HALLELUJAH.

I picked up my pony a little over a year ago.

Photo shortly after I got him

And a recent-ish video of him lunging

I don't have any grand plans. His owner needed to downsize, and I had the time to just let him grow up for a bit. So he's been hanging out for the past year, and I'll start him under saddle in a few months. If he's my kind of ride I may bring him along for a while; if he's not, I'll at least give him a solid start and find him a new home.

I do! Wasn't really looking for a horse, but was intrigued by his ad. Breeder had fallen on hard times, friend of hers took horse in and got him on the road to looking better and getting trained - but got overwhelmed by other training horses and decided to find him a good home. It was apparently meant to be. This horse is a personable, fun ride and I have really enjoyed owning him! Pictures are from the day I looked at him and last fall at a combined training test.

Ugly Duckling 2009:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-09-09_1653.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	37782

Swan 2012:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR_0080.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	37783

I've got one! 2007 GRP mare by Hilkens Black Delight, premium rating at her foal inspection. And free, because someone tried to start her and failed.

From her stint at a professional's farm for her first 90 days...

A couple summers ago...

And enjoying the snowy winter we've had.

~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

7 members found this post helpful.

Mine is a Craigslist Special/Fingerlakes Finest combo.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...95125121_n.jpg

Someone pulled her off the track, life got in the way, and she ended up as a craigslist freebie less than a month later. She was a MISERABLE race horse.

I've had her for just a smidge over a year now, gave her last summer to grow up in a field and then really got serious with her this winter, plan to be out competing this summer at Beginner Novice with a move up to Novice by the fall, Training Level dressage with a move up to First, in a perfect world.

She's crazy athletic, drop dead gorgeous when she's not in her winter woolies, and has a puppy-dog sweet personality to top it all off. Everyone who sits on her loves her, and she'll go that extra mile for anyone she likes. Which I guess is a mare thing, from what I've heard, but she's my first after a bunch of geldings and I have to say I'm a convert!

Quote Originally Posted by shayaalliard View Post
    Kitty is adorable too, but this is just amazing!