The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Sue Wallis - Always Good For A Laugh - Or Two - Or Three......

http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...755128366.html

Greetings!,

Below please find;
    •A press release from IEBA;
    •A letter from the Warm Springs Tribe of Oregon, one of a number of tribes who are writing to the President, to USDA, and to Congress about the need for humane and regulated horse processing in the United States now; and
    •A message from the National Conference of State Legislatures to USDA based on their policy adopted unanimously in August 2012 which establishes the position of the States in regards to proposed Federal actions.

Please distribute to any and all media outlets.

Thank you,

sue's sig
    U.S. Chairman - International Equine Business Association

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Thursday, March 14, 2013

307 680 8515 - sue.wallis52@gmail.com

Humanely Produced and Scientifically Verified Safe Cheval (horse meat) Will Soon Be Available

In spite of last minute attempts by animal rights extremists to slander an entire segment of animal agriculture by introducing Congressional action (S. 541 - a bill to prevent human health threats posed by the consumption of equines with others to follow...) that offers zero solution whatsoever to the dire circumstances facing the horse industry--the truth is that horse people are moving forward to provide a better future for horses and horse people.

Radical groups, led by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and their supporters on Capitol Hill and inside the White House seek to destroy what vestige is left of the U.S. horse industry.
    Nonetheless, the Law is the Law, and right now the Law is behind the horse industry allowing us to move forward with positive, humane systems, that ensure the highest standards of verified food safety, preserving the value, and incentivizing the proper care of all horses in the United States.

Several horse processing plants in the United States are set to begin operations very soon.
    These plants have accomplished most or all of their required modifications to their facilities and will be requesting final walk through inspections, approval to begin operations, and the assignment of inspectors.

USDA has indicated that under current law they will be providing the necessary regulation and inspection.

These plants, and others that will be follow, have modified not only their physical plants to accommodate the unique characteristics of the equine species, but their Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plans and their Standard Operating Procedures to include extremely rigorous, thorough, and scientifically validated testing of every carcass that will ensure that no drug residue can ever enter the human food chain, and that every plant has installed humane handling systems and procedures that go above and beyond the U.S. Humane Methods of Slaughter law.

There are eager markets awaiting the opening of these facilities both here in the United States and internationally. Cheval, which is the common term for meat from the equine species in the same way that beef is the term for meat from cattle, and pork is the term from hogs, is highly sought after by ethnic, gourmet, health and nutritionally interested, and value conscious consumers.

Strong support nationwide for the horse industry is perhaps most evident right now in Oklahoma where a pair of pro-horse industry bills that will allow processing to begin in that state are sailing through the State Legislature.

Just this past Wednesday more than 400 articulate supporters of the legislation led by the Oklahoma Farm Bureau and a host of other Ag organizations showed up for a rally at the Capitol, and not a single anti-slaughter activist!

The week before a pathetic showing of anti-horse advocates at what was billed to be a "massive" rally against the bills achieved numbers barely above single digits, outnumbered by the media covering the event, illustrated the out of touch mentality of these extremist groups.

Attached to this press release is a report originally produced by IEBA last Fall, the Promise of Cheval, and updated regularly as new science and information becomes available, as well as a Facts and FAQs document that answers common questions about the ethical and responsible production of cheval.

Below are documents testifying to the position of the States and the Tribes in regards to this issue--powerful entities that stand solidly behind the broader horse industry in this struggle to ensure that horses and horse owners have humane options that provide value, and therefor ensures the welfare of horses in the U.S.

-END-

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

1 members found this post helpful.

She is truly delusional. Definitely went to the PR school of "if I say it, it is so".

And she wonders why she has no credibility??

10 members found this post helpful.

It's even scarier that she's a State Rep...

6 members found this post helpful.

Waiting for Fairfax...3, 2, 1

5 members found this post helpful.

Sue Wallis and Elizabeth Mandarino are, in my opinion (of course!), two people I do NOT want representing my interests and/or the horse industry.
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

10 members found this post helpful.

The crazy broad got ran out of Missouri on a rail last year....good riddance!

4 members found this post helpful.

Can you imagine a person whose main goal in life is to kill horses?

12 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm interesting that she had to throw in pathetic and articulate. Interesting choice of words.

7 members found this post helpful.

So Dave has something to say as well:

Slaughter, rehab for horses on same site

United Horsemen, the group behind a proposed horse slaughter facility outside Hermiston, wants to build a $3 million horse rehabilitation, training and education center on the same 300-acre property.

According to president Dave Duquette, the facility would host an educational program, with 30 to 40 college students learning from horse trainers, and an indoor equine-assisted therapy arena for individuals with handicaps.

http://www.eastoregonian.com/news/lo...9bb2963f4.html

I get the feeling that some of the pro slaughter peeps have been smoking too much wacky weed lately.

3 members found this post helpful.

So then Tom Vilsack is finally seeing the light:

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/0.../#.UUurClc0_EA

And dear Sue goes off on him via her FB page:

http://rtfitch.files.wordpress.com/2...ue-and-tom.png

One thing's for sure. Any way you, er, "slice" it, horse meat is making news everywhere these days.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    I get the feeling that some of the pro slaughter peeps have been smoking too much wacky weed lately.
    I'd have to agree with you. Some of the stuff coming out of these groups makes my eyes bleed.

But I thought one of the criticisms from anti-slaughter groups is that the pro-slaughter groups are not doing anything for animal welfare at all. Which is untrue, by the way. They just don't appear to do things in a way that satisfies anti-slaughter groups. Nor does everyone who does good works feel the need to broadcast it to the world.

One of the assertions made by anti-slaughter groups is that with training or rehab most horses going to slaughter could in fact find homes. (how all this is supposed to magically happen nationwide is left up to someone else)

It seems that a facility that exists between auctions and the kill chute is a good place for that evaluation to occur. The ones that are a lost cause go on to to be slaughtered. The ones that are not are rehabbed and somehow placed back on the market as riding horses.

Since that is a business model that can prove profitable, there is an incentive to sell the horses for a greater profit than simply processing them to get x dollars per pound cut weight. Possibly.

Isn't that how many rescues work? They go to auctions and either save the ones that need to be put down, pull the ones that they think can be helped, and either adopt them out as companions or riding horses? They just do it at the auction or at the rescue's barn. It's not a stretch to imagine an actual brick and mortar site where that evaluation and rehab can take place at a greater volume.

To me, it is unwise to dismiss ideas, just because we don't care for the person or persons who came up with them. Having said that, I doubt the math is going to work out that a 30million dollar rehab facility ends up being profitable... so my guess is that this particular option is unworkable.

But that does not mean this type of idea is unworkable somewhere else. Or that people from both sides should not continue to brainstorm and throw out ideas. After all, for many years that's exactly what horse dealers did. The sorted through horses and took the ones they deemed suitable for resale, even if the horse needed a little work or rest. Heck, many still do exactly that. So clearly it is a business model that can prove profitable. Which means the horses they picked up and turned around for resale likely did NOT end up slaughtered.

Isn't that the whole point? The more horses that end up trained and sold to people, the fewer horses in the pipeline to slaughter? One way that slaughter can end naturally is to dry up the supply.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by JSwan; Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typos
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

9 members found this post helpful.

United Horsemen, the group behind a proposed horse slaughter facility outside Hermiston, wants to build a $3 million horse rehabilitation, training and education center on the same 300-acre property.

According to president Dave Duquette, the facility would host an educational program, with 30 to 40 college students learning from horse trainers, and an indoor equine-assisted therapy arena for individuals with handicaps.

My favorite part of Dave's amazing plan: he will offer training in one specific discipline: reining. Yes, reining. Those horses that don't make it as reiners will get a one way ticket up the road. I wonder how many drafts and thoroughbreds have a chance at having a successful career as a reiner?

Ah, the mindset of the pro-slaughter group and their well thought out plans...

And for more entertainment, Sue Wallis' email to Vlisack about the video of the horse being shot:

http://rtfitch.files.wordpress.com/2...llis-reply.jpg

The best part:

"So, again, thank you for distributing this good example of the correct way to put down a horse. As for the foul language, believe me I've heard for worse for less cause."

Way to go Sue.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

2 members found this post helpful.

Our area is on the route going between Mexico and Canada with loads of horses for slaughter and yes that is what they attempt to do. I believe there is even a drill team made up of horses bought from the kill pen.
    I totally agree with what you're saying. Just that Sue Wallis has left a bad taste. Would prefer someone that knew something about horses.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I'd have to agree with you. Some of the stuff coming out of these groups makes my eyes bleed.

But I thought one of the criticisms from anti-slaughter groups is that the pro-slaughter groups are not doing anything for animal welfare at all. Which is untrue, by the way. They just don't appear to do things in a way that satisfies anti-slaughter groups. Nor does everyone who does good works feel the need to broadcast it to the world.

One of the assertions made by anti-slaughter groups is that with training or rehab most horses going to slaughter could in fact find homes. (how all this is supposed to magically happen nationwide is left up to someone else)

It seems that a facility that exists between auctions and the kill chute is a good place for that evaluation to occur. The ones that are a lost cause go on to to be slaughtered. The ones that are not are rehabbed and somehow placed back on the market as riding horses.

Since that is a business model that can prove profitable, there is an incentive to sell the horses for a greater profit than simply processing them to get x dollars per pound cut weight. Possibly.

Isn't that how many rescues work? They go to auctions and either save the ones that need to be put down, pull the ones that they think can be helped, and either adopt them out as companions or riding horses? They just do it at the auction or at the rescue's barn. It's not a stretch to imagine an actual brick and mortar site where that evaluation and rehab can take place at a greater volume.

To me, it is unwise to dismiss ideas, just because we don't care for the person or persons who came up with them. Having said that, I doubt the math is going to work out that a 30million dollar rehab facility ends up being profitable... so my guess is that this particular option is unworkable.

But that does not mean this type of idea is unworkable somewhere else. Or that people from both sides should not continue to brainstorm and throw out ideas. After all, for many years that's exactly what horse dealers did. The sorted through horses and took the ones they deemed suitable for resale, even if the horse needed a little work or rest. Heck, many still do exactly that. So clearly it is a business model that can prove profitable. Which means the horses they picked up and turned around for resale likely did NOT end up slaughtered.

Isn't that the whole point? The more horses that end up trained and sold to people, the fewer horses in the pipeline to slaughter? One way that slaughter can end naturally is to dry up the supply.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Our area is on the route going between Mexico and Canada with loads of horses for slaughter and yes that is what they attempt to do. I believe there is even a drill team made up of horses bought from the kill pen.
    I totally agree with what you're saying. Just that Sue Wallis has left a bad taste. Would prefer someone that knew something about horses.
    I'd settle for someone who wasn't an ass.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

LOL yes there is that too.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I'd settle for someone who wasn't an ass.

1 members found this post helpful.

"Sorry honey, you won't be able to ride Smokey any more, we processed him into horse burgers yesterday."

Very therapeutic.

6 members found this post helpful.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...6&tx=146&ty=27

[/B]

"Sorry honey, you won't be able to ride Smokey any more, we processed him into horse burgers yesterday."

Very therapeutic.
    snort...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Wyoming state rep opposes move against horse slaughter plants

CHEYENNE -- State Rep. Sue Wallis says the Obama administration's proposal in its 2014 budget that would effectively ban the slaughter of horses for human consumption is "a pretty sorry situation."

The Republican legislator and rancher from Recluse, in northeast Wyoming, leads the International Equine Business Association and has promoted and proposed operating horse slaughter plants in Wyoming and Missouri. She doesn't think Congress will follow the budget recommendation of Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack to ban such slaughter.

"The word that we hear is that directive was coming straight out of the White House, which is the only explanation for the Department of Agriculture to be doing something as anti-agriculture as that," Wallis said Thursday.

A similar spending ban on horse slaughter plant inspections was established in 2005. It effectively closed horse slaughter operations in the United States until Congress didn't renew the ban in 2011. Since then, there have been private efforts to reopen horse slaughterhouses.

"The fact is there is no basis for them to single out one species out of all the species that we eat in this country -- to pick out one and destroy the industry," Wallis said. "It just boggles my mind."

Wallis said the entire agriculture industry is "adamantly opposed" to the ban.

Horse slaughter plants are ready to open in New Mexico and Missouri, and one is coming along in Iowa.

"They have customers both domestic and international waiting for this product," Wallis said.

Organizations that advocate for the humane treatment of animals oppose the slaughter of American horses for human consumption because they believe the practice is inherently cruel to the animals. These groups also claim that horse meat poses a potential human health risk, as horses are not raised for food in the U.S. and are consequently treated with a wide range of drugs not approved for use in animals intended for human consumption.

Patricia Fazio, of Cody, works with humane organizations. She said it is possible that a member of Congress will remove the language banning money for inspections from the Department of Agriculture budget. Fazio, who holds a degree in animal science and biology, said she is not an animal activist.

"But the fact that the secretary of agriculture has gotten involved shows he supports the removal of funding," Fazio said Friday. Fazio said she doesn't know Vilsack's motive, but there have been many studies that show the meat of domestic animals is contaminated by such veterinary medications as "horse aspirin."

Europe, she said, will no longer accept horse meat that may be contaminated as a result of "Burger-gate" -- the revelation that some beef on the market there contained horse meat.

"It doesn't look good for the pro-slaughter people who are trying to make a dollar," Fazio said.

The Valley Meat Co. of Roswell, N.M., late last year filed a lawsuit against the Department of Agriculture because of delays in opening its horse slaughter plant.

Wallis' International Equine Business Association intervened in the lawsuit, which is on hold until the end of this month.

Before a plant can open it must pass inspection by a representative from the USDA's Food Safety Inspection Service.

The attorney for Valley Meat Co. is A. Blair Dunn. He said the Department of Justice gave the USDA until April 29 to have an inspector at the proposed Roswell plant.

"We're going to press on as if USDA is going to do what Congress has already told them to do," Dunn said. "Our plan is to continue to proceed to open."

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/stat...#ixzz2QLfJHbJQ