The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding & Lessons near Fredericksburg, VA

I'm currently wrapping up grad school in Williamsburg and am relocating to Fredericksburg in May for a new job (hallelujah!). I have a 6-year-old mare who has been essentially out of work for 6+ months due to a freak bout with Australian stringhalt (she ate some false dandelion that likely harbored a fungus - rare for the area and particularly because she was on a lush, healthy pasture). But before the stringhalt issue, I'd been just working on developing solid flatwork. I'm primarily a hunter(ish) rider but would like to switch over to the dressage world.

So that brings me to my question - anyone know of a facility near Fredericksburg (within 30 min of downtown) that offers boarding and either has a decent dressage trainer on-site or allows outside trainers? The mare is currently on field board and I wouldn't mind keeping her on field board. I would perhaps like the possibility of moving her to a stall in the winter just to save me time at the barn after work. But plenty of turnout is key.

I'm pretty flexible on barns beyond wanting quality care. Mid-size barns are preferred - not a massive lesson factory but not a backyard barn with just a couple of boarder horses. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!
    If you are not the lead elephant, the scenery never changes.

Default I'm sure there are oodles of choices, lol!

Lea Ann Hansen, Glamorgan Manor Dressage, Doswell, VA (just 30 minutes south of Fredericksburg... the Kings Dominion exit)

www.glamorganmanor.com

Lani and Patrick Tigchelaar, Tigchelaar Dressage, Hanover county, VA...

www.tdstables.com/

I know both of the above and can personally recommend them, then there's also...

Nicky Vogel in the Fredericksburg, VA area, and I think she is very active in the VADA-Fredericksburg chapter, so someone in the club will know how to contact her...

http://www.vadaf.net/home

Nicky judges frequently in Region 1 and we have always appreciated her fairness with scoring and reasonable and astute commentary...

Good Luck!
    Gleann Oighrig LLC
    Showing, Sales, Breeding, and Boarding
    Manakin-Sabot, Virginia

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Fredericksurg

Sent PM