The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RANT FOR SPRING HERE

Ok the mud has officially really ticked me off! Not only does it stink cause it's mud, but now it's kept me from going to a Dressage Clinic that I have been waiting for over a month!!!

I know, I know. I should have planned better. But I honestly didn't think about asking for a ride, because well for first no one even remotely close to me does anything like this, and this is why I own a trailer.

I know me standing outside and shouting at dirt really won't be that effective, not to mention my neighbors will think I'm crazy. So here I am ranting about how the mud needs to GO! Please someone else rant too, that way I don't feel alone in my insanity.

1 members found this post helpful.

Is the trailer stuck in the mud?

I very much dislike spring too. I have no idea why people get giddy over the start of spring...mud, ruts from thaws and refreezing, shedding, more mud, start of fly season, etc.

March is my least favorite month of the year weather-wise. It's just so....blech.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, there is a silver lining: You will not have to worry about being bothered by crazy neighbors. By shouting at dirt (especially if there was cursing involved), you can rest assured that you have established yourself as the crazy neighbor, thus ensuring you will be given a wide berth.

(Seriously, sorry you had to miss your clinic. Mud does suck.)
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Is the trailer stuck in the mud?

I very much dislike spring too. I have no idea why people get giddy over the start of spring...mud, ruts from thaws and refreezing, shedding, more mud, start of fly season, etc.

March is my least favorite month of the year weather-wise. It's just so....blech.
    Yes, sorry I was so busy being frustrated I completely forgot to say, Yes my rig is stuck, horribly!

If it makes you guys feel better, we are waiting on the second blizzard of the week. It stormed pretty bad on Thursday, blew the new and much unwelcome snow arounnd yesterday and MORE snow expected today and a blizzard tonight on through tomorrow. A snowfall warning has also been issued with the promise of at least 8" of the whiteshit. It's a balmy -10°F and there is a gentle breeze delivering a windchill of around 30 below; this cold is supposed to last until at least next weekend.

My yard doesn't exist - it is covered to an average depth of 6' - and I have a trail 18' wide to the road, another 10 feet wide to the barn, a path to where I park the used snow and a small area, just big enough to turn the truck around by the house. I have no fence, just random post tops sticking through the snowbanks, and the wire is probably all going down if this shit melts.

We are not even sure we will get crops in this year because this is going to make a helluva mess if it melts and not too many people here have boats. We are very afraid if it ever warms up, this is gonna go with a bang because temps will get to the 60's in May. There are flood advisories out just in case we ever get warm weather.

I still have at least 100,000 cubic yards or more of unassembled snowmen to give away. Come and get them!!!
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

5 members found this post helpful.

We had a great majority of our snow gone, then it started snowing three days ago and hasn't stopped. We now have 30+ cms of snow which equals to almost a foot...and still coming, and it's -24C with wind chill (-11.2F). I'm not surprised, but I don't have to like it!

85F here, Spring srung a few months ago

No horror stories here, it's been wetter than normal and isn't stopping any time soon. There is standing water in a lot of places, and I dunno how our crops are going to go in this area. Skagit Valley has it even worse.

Farmers Almanac was wrooooooong.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I feel your pain relating to mud. Dec. - Mar. 1 we had almost 30" of rain (too far south for snow). The mud has FINALLY subsided. The mud makes everything more difficult. But I will take the rain over snow. I can't imagine dealing with that much snow.

It is POURING here, a real Pineapple Express. But, last night I heard the frogs for the first time, calling for mates, the witchhazel is out, forsythia out, crocusses, snowdrops been out for a while, daffs budding ready to burst.... Spring is coming, to be sure.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I can certainly rant with you. Past two days I almost got my muck boot sucked off just trying to bring horses in from the pasture!! We are putting in new fencing as soon as it dries out (July maybe????) and I've already moved around fence lines just because of the snow and mud and trying to plan ahead.

I really want to put something around my gates like fabric but don't like the idea of putting gravel over it and don't know what else to use that you won't sink into.

Not sure if I hate the snow or the mud more. Tough call.
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I wish we had mud - it would mean it had rained (or snowed or done something that made the ground less rock-hard-dry).

Although I HAVE wanted to yell at mud in years past...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    I wish we had mud - it would mean it had rained (or snowed or done something that made the ground less rock-hard-dry).

Although I HAVE wanted to yell at mud in years past...
    Same here, what is mud?
    Was 81F yesterday.

They are calling for another year of drought.

I wish we had some of your mud. It's been t-shirt weather here for the past two months, everything is blooming and green and mild. The problem is, we're probably heading for a huge drought again if we don't get some serious rain in the next month.

When we were in the drought last summer, I really wanted rain, and knew this would happen. It has been a muddy mess since Dec..it will snow, thaw, rain, snow again, thaw; rinse and repeat. I am so freaking sick of it.

Saw this somewhere the other day: Spring in the NE is when you're covered in horse hair from the waist up and mud from the knees down.

I couldn't care less about the mud, really, except for it sucking my damned horse's shoe off...

Last Year - I had just had collarbone surgery so I was laid up and could not do anything with the horse so the weather was beautiful all through March, April and may.

This Year - everything is great and I would love to work the horses so now the weather is nasty, cold with wind and snow. The ground is cut up and frozen so hard to ride on at all.

At least I have gravel soil here when the thaw does come I should be able to ride. Also, hopefully we won't have the army worms and drought like last year and so can get a good hay crop and the prices will come down.

Christa
    Last edited by Christa P; Mar. 16, 2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added a word so things would make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I wish we had some of your mud. It's been t-shirt weather here for the past two months, everything is blooming and green and mild. The problem is, we're probably heading for a huge drought again if we don't get some serious rain in the next month.

Same here. I wanted to share something we did (on a poor person's budget) that has really helped when it rains and (sometimes) floods on our place. We used old railroad ties placed approximately 4 feet apart and filled the area in- between them with small stone kaliche. Wet the kaliche and allow to dry completely, then repeat several times. We built this type of path from the house to the barn and from the barn to the pasture. Additionally, we used small stone kaliche along the front fence line of the pasture and around the gate area. The paths have held up extremely well and the kaliche near the gate and fence line has been stomped into the mud (when it rains) but it works as a 'foundation' of sorts. We plan to redo that area this summer however the first application has lasted 7 years.
    Anyway, we aren't sinking ankle deep in mud when it rains anymore and that's a good thing.
    Oh, and send the rain this way please.
    "When a president can pick and choose which laws to follow and which to ignore, he is no longer a president. " Ted Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post
    Last Year - I had just had collarbone surgery so I was laid up and could do anything with the horse so the weather was beautiful all through March, April and may.

This Year - everything is great and I would love to work the horses so now the weather is nasty, cold with wind and snow. The ground is cut up and frozen so hard to ride on at all.

Christa

So we can blame it all on Christa.

Spring?? Spring?? Oh please yes, Pretty please? Mud and all.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.