The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old pony and diarrhea? Needs electrolytes??

We have an elderly pony (30+) who has had chronic diarrhea for many months. He is now, finally, on an antibiotic treatment to see if that will address it.

I feel that he is also now, because of the diarrhea, electrolyte-depleted:
    1) could this be possible? Isn't this one of the dangers of diarrhea? 2) what sort of treatment for the electr. depletion? I was thinking just oral dosing with regular electrolytes -- if so, how much and for how many days?

Actual vet care not likely, so am trying to find something to help this pony. Diarrhea has always been considered a serious condition by the vets (and dr.'s) ...

Any input much appreciated. Thank you

You can add electrolyte powder to his feed, or syringe it into his mouth. He might also benefit from probiotics.

Will your vet respond to a telephone call question without charging you for it?

ReStore is a product that I used for an older horse that developed serious diarrhea ... it worked beautifully. It is sort of expensive, but for a pony the amount needed per day would be minimal.

Once in awhile an oldster will just get that, and not get rid of it. We had one who had it only when eating hay; on grass it went away. As long as they don't lose condition, my vet has me try a couple of basics (deworming, probiotics) and if that doesn't work we just keep him clean.

Draft driver: How long can I administer the electrolytes, as in, over how many days to help restore him?

Interesting, Lady E.: This pony often doesn't seem to want to eat hay. That comes and goes.

This pony seems quite ribby, though, in terms of being in good condition. I honestly don't know if he's always been that way or this is all inter-related.

Baroque: Where do you find Restore?

The pony isn't mine. Belongs to a friend. So, I wouldn't want to call the vet, and she doesn't seem to want to do that... I think the vet said the same thing, that this diarrhea thing just comes and goes, not much to do about it.

As a 30 year old the pony's teeth are probably non existent. He should be on a good SeniorComplete feed. Most of those, have probiotics, and special additives because old ponies are old ponies.

I would keep a sharp eye on what he is being fed. Since they sound as though they are not using a vet, where and what are they giving for antibiotics, which could compound the upset of normal intestinal flora.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

You might try him on Triple Crown Senior if he'll eat it, or Hay Stretcher if he won't. The TC has probiotics in it, and is beet-pulp based which may help him get enough bulk. Quite possible his teeth are gone or inadequate for really getting much hay.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post
    Draft driver: How long can I administer the electrolytes, as in, over how many days to help restore him?
    That's were a call to a vet who won't charge you for asking a question would help. I think that only a blood test will give you the real picture as to his internal chemistry. Giving electrolytes for a few days would not likely hurt. They may help him want to drink. I think that dehydration is more likely to be an issue with diarrhea.

ReStore ..... Valley Vey has it and a description of it. For my old horse the diarrhea was so bad it was rough (extremely messy, everyday, semi-debilitating). It was either Prednazone (sp?) or ReStore to see if it would work. I was amazed.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_library_...cbc&showText=1

Try to use a Senior feed that has a low molasses content. Sugar or excess sugar, common in molasses laden Senior feeds, will add to a diarrhea problem.

When not giving the electrolytes, the owner might want to add a Tablespoon of granulated salt, to the feed. Can help pony drink more, retain his water better, so he is not quite as dehydrated using water up in his diegestive system. If he is a large (13-14h) pony, maybe go to 2 Tablespoons daily. It isn't going to hurt him, could be very helpful in drinking more because bigger water intake is good. Getting granulated salt, labeled "Feed Salt" in 50# bags at a farm store or grain elevator is MUCH cheaper than buying salt at the grocery store.