The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

They, particularly Aloha, are not my cup of tea but every horse has a mom. Laurie bred a nice mare (in all aspects) to RW and got Juliet, awesome foal. TrueColours bred a mare to him years ago, very very nice. You breed a witch you may end up with one, two is not enough for me to write him off.

Aloha passed his testing... With no scope. Isn't that alarming? As a stallion owner, you are representing your business and yourself as a professional. On a personal level I love to hear personal antidotes however I really feel it reflects poorly on an SO to talk so poorly of other stallions, sorry.
    Last edited by magicteetango; May. 5, 2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Clarity

5 members found this post helpful.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Great mare lines can do wonders for any stallion!!!! Time will tell

I don't own stallions, breed small scale and my only comment is that there are videos and ads that suggest Redwine is Hanoverian - he may have been born in Hannover but far as I know, he is not approved Hannoverian - I think Mecklenburg? Correct me if I am wrong - but "registered" and "approved" are different - thus magicteetango not sure which one "passed his testing" - suppose RW - who was for sale for some time in Europe - be that as it may - old history

Have no idea about Aloha -
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I meant Aloha. I was under the impression he passed was just unpaid for the 70 day test at Silver Creek. Edited my post it was confusing!

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    On a personal level I love to hear personal antidotes
    I just thought this typo was funny. No dis on the typer, just funny, and perhaps more apropos than "anecdotes," which I'm pretty sure was the intended word.

3 members found this post helpful.

Regardless of how much I love my filly, I wouldn't breed to her sire if they paid ME. Too much history to bother with in my opinion and I have been very vocal about that here and on my personal FB page. But horses do not get to choose their connections, they are innocent. They are what they are in spite of who owns and markets them.

You are correct magicteetango. Thats why I never said anything before this. As a SO I am not 'allowed' to say anything but I would really like to see us all try harder to breed athletes. Certainly Hunter Breeding is a fantastic way to show our beautiful young horses but I just hope we all work hard to breed great conformation AND great athletes. I just don't see these two stallions producing great athletes. I really hope the two Redwine's I know of are the exception instead of the norm. There are a lot of Redwine's out there. Considering the nice mares they were bred to I bet there are some great one's out there too.
    I'm not sure Aloha actually passed his test. He didn't do the cross country. I just don't know.
    May I point out that I suggested many other stallions, besides mine, who are wonderful. If I took some more time I could probably come up with even more. We have so many wonderful stallions in the US and Canada.
    I was really only saying that with all the negative surrounding these stallions it just seems to me that there are many other better choices. I am not trying to offend anyone, just trying to understand everyone's thinking.
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

I know you suggest others, Maggie, and I whole heartedly agree with you about producing athletes. I am just reluctant to villify these stallions when the person at fault here is JB. I have no experience with either stallion or their offspring so I am not defending them either, I have no idea. But I don't think every offspring was a nasty puke either.

Martha... Darn this auto correct. That is what I typed, my Samsung also changes mare to made all the time... I always worry people on COTH must think I am such an idiot lol. "My made is due in June" "I enjoy antidotes"... Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieF View Post
    So.....

Peter Pletcher said Aloha should be cut and made into a Children's Hunter as he had no scope. I saw him land splay-legged onto the bank at the stallion test in an unsuccessful attempt to jump up onto it. It was about 2.5 feet high I think.

So help me understand why anyone is still breeding to Redwine and Aloha?
    Does he even have the temperament suitable for this? I saw him go, and he is small, with a piss poor attitude about work, especially when it gets hard. Didn't he score a 5 on his walk at the 70 DT, in addition to being too lame to do the CC?
    The black with bling thing is getting ridiculous. Breed to improve the sport, not for color or white markings!

12 members found this post helpful.

Right again, I shouldn't blame any of this on the stallions. I guess I'm just a bit tired of the whole thing. I gave away many breedings to people who got burned by Jill, and I did it happily. It's just a bit frustrating to continue to try to do the right thing (I got another call from someone asking for a free breeding this past week) just to have it continued by someone else. Sorry I let my frustration show.
    Maggie
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieF View Post
    Right again, I shouldn't blame any of this on the stallions. I guess I'm just a bit tired of the whole thing. I gave away many breedings to people who got burned by Jill, and I did it happily. It's just a bit frustrating to continue to try to do the right thing (I got another call from someone asking for a free breeding this past week) just to have it continued by someone else. Sorry I let my frustration show.
    Maggie
    For what it’s worth, there are many of us who not only understand the points you are making, but agree with you (and 3Dogs) 110%. You have a bit more credibility than many because you stepped up to help make a bad situation better... which says a lot about you - all good.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartier View Post
    For what it’s worth, there are many of us who not only understand the points you are making, but agree with you (and 3Dogs) 110%. You have a bit more credibility than many because you stepped up to help make a bad situation better... which says a lot about you - all good.
    This. Exactly this.

2 members found this post helpful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	38159

While I personally will not and would not support JB in any way, and would not breed to any stallion where $1 landed back in her grubby hands, bashing Redwine across the board is silly. No stallion is right for every mare, and no doubt Redwine can fancy up a good jumping, scopey mare for the hunter ring. Above is an example (my friends mare)- this 3yr old Redwine qualified for the YHS finals in free jump with very impressive scores. Rotspon has also thrown a few phenomenal hunters. To each his own in stallion choice- although I do feel bad for hardworking stallion owners who gave free breedings to cover for JB, and understand your frustration.

Ps- picture was paid for, I just have proof on phone.

1 members found this post helpful.

It is exactly what I suspected all along - JillB still owns Redwine, and sent him out of the country so he wouldn't get seized by AC or attached as an asset in a bankruptcy or legal case.

As for Ashland - that, too, is what I thought. When they first came out and said they would honor all those contracts, I said to myself, "All rightey then. Let's see the fine print." And sure enough, they are charging a booking / collection fee. So not only did they initially lie about buying Redwine, but they were also very misleading about honoring outstanding breeding contracts. Sure sounds like they are ethically challenged, too, and it will be interesting to see how long it is before they and JillB are at each others' throats.

I also wonder how many mares JillB has bought in the meantime, how many she is breeding FREE to Redwine (because I have no doubt that part of her deal with Ashland included her breeding as many mares to him as she wants) and how many other people she will scam and defraud before she is stopped.

As for Aloha - the Stallion Testing website shows him as NA because JillB never paid for his testing. http://www.nastalliontesting.com/index.php/results/2009

But here are his scores:
    Stallion, Overall Score (Ranking), Dressage Score (Ranking), Jumping Score (Ranking)
    Aloha, 80.89 (13), 85.89 (12), 80.01 (12)

His total of 80.89 was barely over the minimum required for approval, and it is just amazing to me that some people are so dazzled by the chrome that they would breed to him - in my book, he has not much at all to recommend him as a stallion.

14 members found this post helpful.

Thanks DY I could not seem to find those anywhere... Are those the minimums for all registries that recognize the testing?

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    Thanks DY I could not seem to find those anywhere... Are those the minimums for all registries that recognize the testing?
    No different registries have different minimums. 80 is the minimum for some registries, but certainly not all registries (eg, AHS you need a 90 minimum if you are a Hanoverian, 120 if a non-Hanoverian) http://hanoverian.org/stallion-licensing-and-approval/

His total of 80.89 was barely over the minimum required for approval, and it is just amazing to me that some people are so dazzled by the chrome that they would breed to him - in my book, he has not much at all to recommend him as a stallion.

What registry would approve a horse with such a crap score?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I thought a portion of those marks were not actually earned by Aloha but rather he was 'Averaged In' because he could not complete the testing.

If this is the case and a portion of his scores were averaged and he was still that low, he must have been quite low to begin with.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

6 members found this post helpful.

i really don't want to wade into this mess - but for those of you that are posting "facts" with such force and vigor - where are you getting said "facts" ? to me it is all hearsay until there is a contract that shows what each party agreed to.

Have contracts been made public?

Are contracts ever been made public??

If they owned Redwine, they'd be singing it from the high heavens. That alone is proof enough for me.